Stupid cooking question..

nori

Reaction score
Hi All,

Firstly, just to let you know ive made my homemade burgers and they are in the fridge waiting to be cooked tonight.. will let you know what they taste like!

My silly question is this..

I have made up 4 pots of shepherds pie to freeze and take out each week so i dont starve when baby is here (my OH is a worse cook than me). Do i need to keep them on the side until they are totally cold then put them in the freezer or do i put them in the fridge to cool then the freezer or straight into the freezer now.

Im sure i read somewhere that if they are warm they can contaminate other things?

Also, when i'm ready to eat them would i have to defrost them first then microwave them or defrost them first then put them in the oven or just put them in the oven from frozen? What gas mark and for how long?

As you can tell.. i dont tend to ever freeze food.. i usually just eat it all!

Claire x

The reason it's suggested to not just whack them in the freezer is because if you do it when they're warm it'll heat up everything in your freezer which isn't advisable. I'd just let it cool to room temperature and whack it in. Personally before reheating I'd defrost in the fridge because I find things can heat very unevenly if heated from frozen.

OH yeah.. that makes sense! :oops:

Thanks!

Claire x

I put mine in the freezer when there still hot, my stepdad says the reason you shouldnt put them in hot is because it will melt things its put on top of, but our freezer is practically bear so it doesnt matter lol

Always wait until food has completely cooled before freezing (no need to refridgerate 1st) I would take them out of the freezer the night before you are going to eat them and wait for 12 hours before cooking, they will taste better cooked in the oven on a medium heat (all ovens are different) for at least 25 mins. It is better to cook something slowly on a lower heat than to blast it as some parts won't have warmed sufficiently. I sometimes freeze the mash and mince separately as it sometimes goes soggy, just grill the mash with some cheese once the mince is cooked through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back