breast milk

Lovisa

Reaction score
I have just read that you can store breast milk in the fridge for up to 3 days at least and 3-6months in the freezer. Is this info still correct?

Silly question but as I do not have any milk freezer bags (as of yet) can I use the plastic sandwich bags you can get from the supermarkets or can I put a bottle in the freezer? As I have a bottle storage lid I can use on top of the bottle.

And with the frozen milk, I've heard its best to defrost in the fridge if this is correct how long do you think its best to let defrost in the fridge?

oh god, i wouldnt store it in the fridge more than 24 hours! it goes right manky after that! but within 24 hours, it will seperate, it just needs a shake to mix it! the freezer i'd stick to 3months!

you can put bottles in with a lid on, but if you wanted to use freezer bags, you'd need to cold water sterilise them with milton or something first! the bags i had were basically like ready sterilised mini freezer bags!

oh and defrosting, i used to either leave it iin the fridge or put it in some water, not like boiling water, just lukewarmish so it defrosts a bit quicker! not sure if you're meant to do that mind :lol:

I always used milk from the fridge within 24 hours - you need to keep it at the back of the fridge, not in the door. Best to defrost overnight in the frdge too, but I've done it in a bowl of water before.

I'm sure normal freezer bags (make sure they're ok for the freezer as not all sandwich ones are) would be fine, and I've frozen milk in bottles too - cling film over the top then top on with no teat. If you're storing in a big chest freezer that isn't opened all the time then it's fine for a few months but I wouldn't leave it any more than a couple of months in your freezer that you store your food in if you're opening the door all the time. If you do, put it at the back of a drawer that you don't need to open other than for milk x

i reckon leave in the fridge overnight to defrost unless you are in a hurry and then you can do it in a jug of warm water

when defrosted in the fridge use within 24hrs

you can also leave it at room temp for 4 hours, but its best to refridgerate as soon as possible (specially in the summer :) ) xxx

Thank you all for the help.
I can now safely express some more and put it in the freezer as still haven't got any freezer milk bags. Will not risk using the bags I already have.

Big bump, I got my pump delivered today which is good so I can actually start pumping away with a decent pump yay :p
But I can not believe the woman didnt clean it up before she sent it. Lol. I know I am going to wash and sterilise it before I use it but it is really filthy.
Also I hope it still lasts me a while as she sent her original reciept and it shows that she bought it in 2007.

Me, My girls and I, Sams mum and Big bump, how are you all today?

I am good, have managed to feed my son millions of times since he woke me up at 6am this morning (Having finally crashed out after screaming from 9.30pm til 11pm, waking in the night at 1.30/2hr intervals for food) Being very cute though, when he isnt screaming (which he does ALOT)

TBH i am finding life a bit hard today, Liam is home in one hour and counting, i just hope Jasper doesnt scream from now until he gets back...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back