strollers and changing unit

hedgehog2000

Reaction score
Hi, Hope you don't mind me asking what your expereinces have been with :

Changing units: good or a waste of money. Some of my friends have recommended the over cot changer, others on the floor and some have a unit. Help!!

Also, was thinking about getting the Mclaren Techno XT from day one. We only have a tiny car and I don't even drive myself, so need something light for public transport. Has this been ok for a newborn.

Thanks.

hey hun, Iv got a dresser with changer top and can say i havent used it once. As Ella is in her moses basket in our room i just change her on the floor. but when she goes into her own room i think i will use it then. To be honest with you i think its more comfortable 2 be sat on the floor than stood up aswell.
As for the buggy i think most of then can be used from birth if reclined, i have a mama's and papas pramette which can be used as a pram to start with facing me, and can be easily converted to a pushchair. It can be used like this from birth but i havent used it this way yet. I would recommend it though it is lightweight and compact very nice and easy to push.

I keep our changing mat under the sofa in the lounge and change him on the floor. I have never taken Brody upstairs to change him... there's no point.

I wasn't going to get a changer until my Mum, Mother in law and lots of other older women recommended that I get one for the sake of my back as much as anything else. In the end I got a wooden one, new flat pack on ebay for £25 with two shelves underneath and I have to say that I'm very pleased that I did. It saves your back and knees and I've found the shelves useful for all the towels/sheets etc. But then he is in his own room and the changer is right next to his cot so maybe this makes a difference? I also tend to feed him in that room as the chair is comfy so I guess because I change him before I feed him or put him to bed etc it's the most practical place for it in my case.

As for the McLaren Techno I haven't got one but several of the women in my post-natal group have and it looks really good and goes further flat than my Chicco London Winter Stroller does. I think I might have gone for the McLaren myself if I'd seen it earlier. They love theirs and often go on about it!

Hope this helps
+++

i have a changing unit in the nursery, and plan to use it as much as possible! i was just gona get a cot top changer for space saving, but then decied to use the bigger spare bedroom as the nursery and in-laws bought us the furniture so.....

- will probably have a changing mat downstairs too tho - cant do changes on the floor, so mat will have to go on the table or the couch - cos i have arthritis and can't kneel down ( this is also posing many problems for bath time! - cos, er, well we dont have one! only have a shower cubicle hehehe - am looking at the tummy tub thingies tho)

i have also got the mamas and papas pramette like laurs, its fab ( although not officially used yet! but have been playing with it and love how versatile it is, should last well into toddlerdom hopefully!) hmmm - thing is tho - havent even thought of trying to fit it in the car boot yet! hehehehe

shamu

I dont have a changing unit but think it would have been helpful after birth especially after my cs. I always change Jess on the floor and worry that if I had a change unit what would happen if she rolled off it.

As for the stroller, I had a emmaljunga and wouldnt get another. I should have went for something smaller and less fancy. The funky wheels make it comfy to push but there is no room underneath and the hood is a pain.

We have a unit in Dom's room and use it all the time, it's fab and we hang a mobile above it so it distracts him.

hi my changing station was a god send dior is 1 now and still use it, it says to stop using them wen there one but im going to be lost with out it, i think there quite expensive but i got one from ikea £22 its basic but looks nice with diors pink lil changing mat and there is a shelf underneth for all nappies and wipes

I have an over the cot changing mat and i think its the best thing we've bought! He loves being high up and can spend ages lying on it and looking about happily (with me standing by of course :p )

I used to change Damien on the floor, now I have a playpen/travel cot with a cot top change on it too so I use that instead. Didn't see the need for a changing unit myself, but then we don't have the space or money to spend out on something 'simple but expensive'. If I had the money I probably would have bought one for his room.
Never minded doing it on the flolor, actually found it easier especially getting him ready in the morning to have his new clothes and bowl of water on the floor next to us.

I have a changing unit with a mat on top. I love it and use it all the time - just the right height. When I had my daugther (many moons ago), I bought on of those changing units with the bath underneath the changing mat. Was useful for changing smelly bots on, but bath wise, it was a bad buy. I didn't have space in my bathroom and therefor, it was kept in my room. To fill and empty the bath was quite a task.
I would go for a simple unit or over the cot changer.
Stroller wise - check out Mamas and Papas. I have a Pliko 3 and it's brill!!! The best stroller I've ever had - It's from birth and well padded and cosy! Perfect for small car. :wink:
Good luck

Missed the bit about the buggy sorry, don't knows about that exact buggy, but we have Mothyercare's Atlan travel system (£160) and it fits in out boot which is small, with shopping too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back