Delivery - Home/Midwife only deliveries

*glow*

Reaction score
Hi All

I am looking for some positive stories of your deliveries! (if thats possible!) :lol:

I am keen to have a 'familar' labour ie where I can be at home as much as poss. I don't like hospitals and know I will be far more relaxed in the early stages at home. Home birth is not an option as our house is TINY so I defo want a hosp delivery.

My choices are:

1. Comm Midwife Unit in a hospital where consultants work - so I can have an epidural if need be, but its miles away meaning I will need to leave my 'familiar environment' early and the hospital is horrible - really clinical and like a conveyor belt (think London super hospital!!)

2. Midwife led unit where epi is not available but if it all becomes too much a 20 min transfer to the other hospital via blue light flashing ambulance if need be. This is the same for a c section.

Ok, so what I am asking is can anyone give me some positivity about non epidural births/home births/births delivered by midwife only.

Safety is obv not even a consideration, I have checked it all out and would not take any risks if I thought it was not safe. I just seem to only have people telling me 'oh you would be mad not to have an epi' but I thought it was only 1 in 5 that had it??

Arrggghhh - (childlike whining voice) whyyy can't someone just choose for me???

Thanks girls ...

I've had 2 babies without an epidural and 1 with. If i was going to have anymore kids (which i'm not) I would definatly try to do it on just gas and air again. I found with the epidural my labour slowed down and I had to go on a drip so I was stuck on the bed on a moniter plus I had trouble pushing cos I couldn't feel the contractions. I needed stitches after that birth and I didn't with the other 2 and that was my smallest baby. I blame the epidural.

Thanks for that hon.

Its weird because some people swear by it, but everyone I seem to come across tells me how 'don't even consider not having one' (even if they never had one themselves!!)

As a result this has made me question my decisions, you know, am I being naive??

Ok, its going to bloody hurt (I am at least a realist! :D ) but if it becomes too bad I can still have one, I just need to move hospitals.... Even if I do go to the 'super hospitals' I will need to move building to have an epi into the consultant unit...

Oh I dont know!!! :wall:

What's everyone elses experiences - what was your no 1 priority for your delivery - anyone else have COMFORT and familarity at the top of their list??

Just wanted to send some hugs to you *glow* :hug:
The most important thing is that you are happy and comfortable with your choices, look into what an epidural actually does to your body, and then look into alternatives, so you feel confident in your decision whatever it may be :hug: I've seen lots of births without epidurals and they were calm and natural, an epidural is not a necessity by any means, its a personal choice :)

Thanks for the :hug:

My midwife said to me 'you are very focused'. Meaning I am pretty mentally 'up for' labour - well as up for it as I can be!!

But I just had a lot of negativity thrown my way lately and fancied some positive stories for a change!!

Hi I had both children at midwife only unit. the first was by default actually I was booked in to midwife unit but at bigger hospital where Gp unit is literally next door - but when I rang to say I thought I was in labour I rang local hospital and they told me to go in there and they would check me. When i was there they asked if I wanted to stay and have baby there and as it was sooooo much nicer than other hospital I said yes.

Anyway to cut a long story short I had very postive experiences with both labours (no stiches or anything :D ) I would say go for midwife unit - I thought more chance of needing epidural if you have to be induced and I assume that if you have to be induced you have to go to the GP unit anyway. I think also if you no it isn't an option you don't tend to focus on it!

Sorry for rambling reply Hope it helped and good luck :hug:

*glow* said:
Hi All

I am looking for some positive stories of your deliveries! (if thats possible!) :lol:

I am keen to have a 'familar' labour ie where I can be at home as much as poss. I don't like hospitals and know I will be far more relaxed in the early stages at home. Home birth is not an option as our house is TINY so I defo want a hosp delivery.

My choices are:

1. Comm Midwife Unit in a hospital where consultants work - so I can have an epidural if need be, but its miles away meaning I will need to leave my 'familiar environment' early and the hospital is horrible - really clinical and like a conveyor belt (think London super hospital!!)

2. Midwife led unit where epi is not available but if it all becomes too much a 20 min transfer to the other hospital via blue light flashing ambulance if need be. This is the same for a c section.

Ok, so what I am asking is can anyone give me some positivity about non epidural births/home births/births delivered by midwife only.

Safety is obv not even a consideration, I have checked it all out and would not take any risks if I thought it was not safe. I just seem to only have people telling me 'oh you would be mad not to have an epi' but I thought it was only 1 in 5 that had it??

Arrggghhh - (childlike whining voice) whyyy can't someone just choose for me???

Thanks girls ...
am i the only one who hates refering to the birth of a baby as a delivery??? :rotfl:
you deliver a pizza not a baby!

:rotfl:

:rotfl: no Budge your not it reminds me of delivering a pizza too :lol:

Tho I think ive said it once or twice :lol:

I had Owen in a birthing Centre it was just like a hotel room, so comfy and it was only midwifes there no doctors walking round. :D

I had my own birthing pool where i stayed in it for 3 hours to get nice and relaxed, and it's where i will be having this next baby too. :wink:

I only had gas & air which was fantastic and it was lovely not being messed with by doctors every 10 mins.

Also the centre was in the hospital so if i wanted any stronger painkillers eg epidural, pethidine i could be wheeled round to the delivery suite next door for it. :D

hi hun, with reanna i was induced and only had pethidine which for me didnt work but did for my sis so i think it depends on person and gas and air in the pushing stage. i really enjoyed reannas birth and i knew from the off that i wasnt having an epidural as the thought of it terrifies me. because there were no complications i have chosen to have kayla in a midwife led unit. my local one is in the hospital but a few floor up so epi's arent available but you can easily be transferred if required. i was terrified of the birth before i had reanna becus every1 i spoke to had some scare story but i loved telling them all how i coped afterwards lol. i was the first person my sis came to when she had her first becus she knew i would tell her the truth and my advice to her was take each step as it comes and try to relax, think positive and keep telling yourself that the pain is worth it becus you do forget it as soon as your little one is in your arms.

good luck with your birth hun and im sure whatever you decide will be right for you and baby and that is what is important.

xxxxxx

Hi All

Thanks so much for the advice, I will read all your birth stories when I have a cuppa!

Sorry if I offended anyone with the whole 'delivery' thing. I never looked at it like that before. I think I picked up the lingo from the midwifes who look after me as this is my first - but you are right, its quite a minging expression isn't it ... :oops:

Birth it is!!

I can't wait now... feeling very positive

Anyway, thanks again, I am much happier than I was last week :dance:

xxx

I had stephen in the rosie maternity in cambrisge and to say the least the labour was awful, the treatment wa awful and too conveyor belt for my liking.To say the least it shook my nerves up and i think that it all contributed towards my horrible labour, and having an epidural as well :(

This time around i will be hving my baby in hospital again but plan to stay at home as long as possible!

I really would love to have my baby in a unit or at home but my husband wont let me, i really hope you get the borth you want.
It has been proven that having your baby at home is as sfe as hospital.

GOOD LUCK! :hug:

Hi All

Just wanted to say thanks again for all your replies, read the birth stories and feeling really positive

Thanks for sharing and I will let you know all about the birth xxx

G x

Hi, I went to a midwife led unit for my baby and ended up being transferred to a consultant unit. Basically I pushed for 3 and a half hours but couldnt get my daughter out so they transferred me 20 miles down to the medical unit where I had an epidural and forcep delivery. I must admit I feel I was left pushing for rather a long time as they had no alternatives to assist me available, and by the time I got the epi I had been pushing for a knackering 5 hours almost!! That said they were really good and at no time did I ever feel like things were out of control or anything, I returned there after I gave birth and stayed in a lovely room of my own for 2 nights (they even took my daughter to the nursery for a few hours so I could get some kip!). I think that next time I will probably go to the medical unit just to be on the safe side but I just wanted you to know that even if things dont go as planned with your labour the midwife led units are really good and they give really good aftercare, which is something I dont think you get in the bigger, busier hospitals. Hope you have a great birth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back