Stretch and sweep

Tilly

Reaction score
Afternoon ladies

I had midwife appointment today at 40+3 and she said she would try a stretch & sweep, I found it so uncomfortable that in the end I had to ask her to stop. Part of me wishes I had been a bit stronger and put up with the pain but it really was uncomfortable. She told me that my cervix is posterior but that baby's head is very low, she has also written in my notes that cervix is 1cm long, soft and closed (this is my first baby). She has booked my induction for next Friday and will attempt another sweep next Wednesday - am I still a long way off with a posterior cervix?

Baby is still back to back, don't know if this affects cervix position?

I don't have any advice as this is my first baby but just wanted to say don't worry that you found it painful, I also find internals very uncomfortable, I think everyone does. Also if your tense it can make it worse but its hard to relax sometimes when someone is shoving things up you! Next time take long, slow deep breaths and try and think of something nice to take your mind off it :hug: :hug:

Tilly said:
Baby is still back to back, don't know if this affects cervix position?
Tilly, if your baby is back to back, please please read up on back labour... I prepared myself for Evie being back to back and because of her position, I couldn't push her out naturally and needed forceps - Just a pre-warning!

Sometimes MWs go OTT on the sweep to really try and get it to work!! The more aggressive they are with the sweep, the more likely it is to work!

Your cervix sounds good though, soft is great. xx

Thanks for your replies, I did try and relax and said I'd give it one more go but it was so uncomfortable that I had to ask her to stop, they are going to try again next Wednesday if no baby sohopefully my cervix will be more favourable then.

Thanks for your post Dannii, I have been reading lots on babies who are back to back and I am worried about the labour but will try and remember everything I have read and get in the best positions possible for baby. Any other advice?

Tilly said:
Thanks for your post Dannii, I have been reading lots on babies who are back to back and I am worried about the labour but will try and remember everything I have read and get in the best positions possible for baby. Any other advice?
I asked loads of questions in here about back labour and got loads of handy replies :cheer: BUT, when I was in labour, the contractions were coming closer and closer and then all of a sudden, I'd been waiting for a break in the contraction for about 2 or 3 minutes and I was saying "OMG, where is the break? Why is the contraction still there? What's going on?" and it was just ONE looooong contraction in my back! :shock:

Most people said that their babies corkscrewed as they came out and ended up coming out facing the right way, but Evie didn't and I had quite an ordeal with forceps.

I would suggest reading my birth story, but I'm not sure it's a good idea :think: lol xx

Thanks Dannii, I would rather be prepared so will have a read of your birth story, I just want it to be a safe delivery.

Your daugher is beautiful you must be very proud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back