strep B *worried*

BumbleTumble

Reaction score
my doctor phoned me on friday and said she had results of my swab thing.

there were a few infections, the only one i remember was strep B, i dont know what that is so i just googled it and i am now very scared.
it only really says about effects in late pregnancy, so just need a little help because im panicking.

would have asked doctor, but was shopping so would have been a little awkward, lol.

Strep B isn't harmful to you and quite a large percentage of the population have it (I do too). It's only a risk if you have it at the time you give birth, but now that you know they will give you 2 lots of IV antibiotics towards the end of your labour and monitor your baby for 24 hours after birth - it did mean I was stuck in hospital for a bit longer with the boys but the antibiotics should mean that they're not at risk x

thanks so much for speedy reply. :hug:

i usually dont trust the internet for these sorts of things, but it was saying there were some rather horrible things that could happen, like late mc and stillbirth.
i think it was from BBC website?

As far as I know the only way infection can get to your baby is if your waters have broken or are leaking as baby is nicely sealed inside until then - that's when they started my antibiotics. Googling is never a good idea! Strep B is quite common though - have a word with your midwife about it if you're worried x

I had strep in my last pregnancy hun all was fine ...if your really worried go and talk with your gp or midwife

im not so worried now!
the midwife will probably have been told by gp anyway, and thinking about it, the gp probably would have told me if it was a risk.

no more google for me!!!!

x

I had strep b after my waters went. Had a high temperature. Ended up having emergency c-section baby was fine did not need anti-biotics but i did and i think it was because i was fully breastfeeding.

The problem is if you don't know you have Strep B hun...

As you have been diagnosed they know and will pump you full of antibiotics when you go into labour (it will mean they want you to get the hospital as soon as labour starts - they will want you to have at least 8 hours of IV anti-biotics before active labour)

My sister had step B - undiagnosed - when she gave birth to my nephew. The poor little mite had to stay in for a week.

With her second baby they recommended she have anti-biotics as a precaution. She was meant to have 8 hours + of them via a drip but her she had a very fast labour - they didn't even get a chance to hook her up to a drip! As they had not got any antibiotics in her system they kept bub in for 48 hours and gave him anti-biotics as a precaution. Once a blood test confirmed he was OK they came home!!

My nephews are 3 and 8 months now and both boys are healthy, strong and rarely get ill.

(also just to add that my sister stayed in hospital with both the babies and didn't have to leave either of them! So if the worst happens OP you wont be separated from your LOL!)

Last edited:
thanks very much everyone for putting my mind at rest :)
i have to go for another swab this week
to see whats going on. i hate swabs :dohh:
lol
xx

Ahhh I know how I felt when I was told at 38 Weeks I couldn't have a home birth because I had strep b it sounds scary but it's actually not. I went two weeks over due and was induced so I got the drip thing ok. I think it's mainly a prob if it's un-diagnosed goodluck :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back