Thrush and Strep B :(

kanga86

Reaction score
So tmi here! I had burning and itching down below for a week but no usual discharge so didn't think much of it until I went to my aquanatal class on Monday. The midwife who runs the class did a chat on strep B and mentioned thrush at the same time. I haven't found any links to the 2 on the Internet though so don't fully understand there connection.

I phoned the docs up on Tuesday saying I thought I had thrush and she got me in to have a swab done as she was concerned I could have strep B too!! So glad I did go in cos I had a phone all today saying I had thrush and came up positive for strep B! :(

I am on antibiotics for the strep B and had canasten cream for the thrush, and I will have to have iv antibiotics in labour for the strep B!! So not what I wanted to have in labour!

Just keep thinking want else can go wrong in this pregnancy :( totally fed up now and just want him here safe and sound! Cos now I'm just paranoid I am gonna give him strep B and make him so ill or lose him :(

Anyone else have experience of strep B in labour? Xxx

I had a course of antibiotics but it didn't clear up my strep B. I had an iv drip during labour every 4 hours.
It was all fine. Try not to worry too much xx

Not personally, but a friend, she didn't know until she had her baby so at least you know about it now so they can prevent any problems occurring which is a good thing! This is exactly why everyone should be tested for it routinely, but at the moment unfortunately not. Glad you know now, even though its not ideal for you, at least you know they'll be keeping a close eye on you x x

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Sorry to hear your having to deal with this :( it's a good thing they know now, and will be treated properly.
The antibiotics should work and as there aware of it your LO will be ok, try and not stress about that.
I really wish strep b was a routine check close to birth. Hope your ok :) just think not long till your cuddling you'd baby xx

oh dear really hope baby is here soon for you xxx

I've not got any personal experience but like others have said Strep B only causes problems when it's undiagnosed. I think so long as they know you have it and so give you antibiotics during labour everything is ok. Try not to worry hun x

I also don't understand why they don't routinely test for it! x

I didn't have a clue what strep B was til I joined this forum and I haven't heard it being mentioned anywhere else throughout my pregnancy!
I think, if it can cause problems, shouldn't we be made aware of the symptoms and what to look out for?! X

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

I don't think it usually shows symptoms, although both the mw and doc somehow linked it with thrush. But there is nothing saying that when I google it! So confusing!

It is scary to think that they don't check everyone for it especially when it can be so harmful to a newborn :( I am glad I know now prior to labour and I can have the antibiotics, but it is still worrying! Xx

It's good you caught it. I was tested at 37 weeks and again today as the test only lasts so many weeks.
Hopefully the antibiotics sort it out, I'm sure everything will be fine!

i constantly had thrush throughout this preg and docs nevermentioned group b strep :-s
ive sef treated for the thrush with creams and pessaries.
midwife was aware and also went to GU clinic for a test for everything last week and all clear - a day later it turns out i have thrush caused from the LUBE they use in hospital!!

As for group b, my partners first child - his ex wife didnt found out about group b til the birth ad that was 8 yrs ago and hes still fine now so I wouldnt worry too much :)

I got a urine infection from the strep b in my first trimester and had antibiotics, when i got to the hospital in labour i was 9cm dilated. You are meant to have the iv of antibiotics 2 hours before you give birth now but the drip of antibiotics had just finished when i gave birth to my son and everything was fine. He will be a year next month! Dont worry about it too much xx

:hugs:Sorry you are having to go through all this Kanga, hope you feel better soon. xx Not long before you meet your lil Roo!! xx

Hi lovely. Sorry you have this to worry about, you certainly haven't had an easy time!!

At least they have found out about it though. A friend of mine had it and apparently as long as they give you iv antibiotics in labour everything should be fine.

Big hugs. Your little boy will be here safe and sound before you know it. XxxX

What are the symptoms of strep B??

There aren't any really hon, which is why so many people feel that it should be a routine test, I don't see why it isn't.

Kanga, sorry you're having to worry about this, your baba will be here safe and sound soon xx

Thank u everyone!

What also upsets me is after having fought so hard to get on the midwife led ward for my labour, I now don't have a choice and have to go onto the labour ward as soon as my waters break or as soon as any contractions start! So no waiting around at home, I have to go straight to hospital! :( also for any subsequent labours I will have to do exactly the same! I hate having the choice taken away!

But I know it is best for me and baby and I am glad I know prior to labour about it. Xx

I had no symptoms whatsoever, but everything was fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back