Straight after birth questions

Mildly

Reaction score
After you've given birth in hospital and LO has had their cord cut, are they wrapped in a hospital blanket? Or do you need to provide one? Do they have a nappy put on straight away? And do the midwives do that or can OH have a go? Also I'm sure I've read on here that it might be quite a few hours before LO gets their first bath, so when do they get dressed? Is that straight away? Or after the first birth? Again would this be the midwives that would dress your LO?

Also how quickly would you find out how long you were likely to have to stay in with a mostly straightforward birth? I mean how much notice do they give you?

they wrapped hannah is an hospital towel and then after about 15 mins they took her to be weighed and put her in a nappy and baby grow that they had asked for beforehand she was a c section but think it was about the same with kieron, 6 hours is normal now to stay in after a normal birth

Mildly said:
After you've given birth in hospital and LO has had their cord cut, are they wrapped in a hospital blanket? Or do you need to provide one? Do they have a nappy put on straight away? And do the midwives do that or can OH have a go? Also I'm sure I've read on here that it might be quite a few hours before LO gets their first bath, so when do they get dressed? Is that straight away? Or after the first birth? Again would this be the midwives that would dress your LO?

Also how quickly would you find out how long you were likely to have to stay in with a mostly straightforward birth? I mean how much notice do they give you?

hi hun i had a water birth held oliver for a few minutes but couldnt concentrate becuase of the gas and air, the nurse took him and wrapped him in a hospitals towel and my mum held him whilst i had the syntometrine(sp?) injection and during the third stage. then i cuddled up to oliver and held him etc, then my mum had to go soshe put him in the hospital crib beside me and the nurse kept popping in and out to check us and kept asking if i wanted to put him a nappy on when he was about 2 hours old i said i wanted to do that and get him dressed.

but i was just sssssoooooooo exhausted i couldnt (and felt guilty about that for months :lol: ) but your OH can do that for you.

then i had a shower etc.

hope that helped :D

also i had a good birth and had oliver at 23.32 and stayed until 2 oclock the next afternoon

That's great, thanks for the answers ladies :D I was wondering what happened and whether it was the same in all hospitals :)

When Angel was born she was placed straight on me. When it was time for me to shower they dressed her. Nappy went on just before dressing. So she had an hour to mess on me if she wanted. The MW dressed her. But if you wanted your OH to do it then just ask. She was wrapped up in their blankets. But i took my own as it said in my list. They gave her a bath the next day. And changed her clothes for me.
My birth was very straightforward and they asked me how long i wanted to stay when i went up to the ward. I opted for overnight and go home in the morning. But she had temperature issues so wasn't til afternoon. I just kept nagging. as they kept forgetting about me.

I was fairly out of it so I've no idea when her nappy was put on but I think it was at least an hour after. The only blankets used in hospital belonged to the hospital. She was born at 3am on Monday and didn't have a bath until Tuesday.

Harrison was wrapped in a hospital blanket, me and OH cleaned him up and we dressed him about 30 mins after birth :D (after we had skin to skin)

Lucy was born by emergency section and was wrapped in hospital towel then OH took her back to my labour room. Neither of us can remember whether she had a nappy on at that point or not. But I fed her and then shortly after Chris dressed her. We didn't wash her till later so she still had bits of vernix in her hair but it didn't matter to us.

Ruby was put on me straight away and then after about 30 mins i think! Got took away to be cleaned up then straight back on me for bonding time skin to skin. its all a bit hazy tbh, then they gave me a bed bath :lol: while oh was cuddling her.

Your subject line said 'straight after birth' so I'd think (it is standard at my hospital unless you specify otherwise or there is a medical reason to not do so) that baby has immediate skin on skin with Mummy and remains there a while. Then usually is taken to be weighed etc and then wrapped up and brought back.

I didn't think it was usual to bath them anymore after birth. OK, our LO was born at home but he was not bathed. We didn't do so for at least a week. He had a gorgeous newborn baby smell :D There really was no need to wash him off I feel. He was dried off with a towel and popped in nappy, sleepsuit and hat once we had skin on skin and he had fed.

I had some skin to skin time then she was weighed and OH had some skin to skin while I was being stitched up down there. They left us with her for a while and I had more skin to skin and tried to feed then I went in a bath and OH and midwife put a nappy on and dressed her. I think she was wrapped when necessary in hospital blankets but you could take your own.

I had Evie at 7.30am and was home by 2pm. IMO it would have been better for me to stay in overnight. Some hospitals insist on it- esp. if your baby is born at night. You can discharge yourself at anytime but the baby can't go until the midwives say so.

We had skin to skin then whilst the midwives dressed Evie and put her nappy on etc me and OH had a snog :wink: :lol: There's plenty of nappies to change so doing that first one wasn't particularly important! :rotfl:

If you ask for skin to skin then baby is born and placed straight on you, then when you're comfortable enough, they will take him to be weighed and wiped, and if OH or you wishes to put a nappy on him/dress him, tell them then or put it in your birth plan, as they will have their own routine, so if you don't ask/tell they will do what they do. You can certainly give them your baby's first outfit and blanket in the delivery room, and they will then use them after he's born :)

As for a bath, you really don't have to bath him on his birthday, you can leave it days, its not like baby is dirty anyway, he may have a bit of gunk in his hair, if he has some hehe but otherwise you can wipe his body with water and cotton and he'll be fine without a bath, its better for their skin to leave it a few days anyway I think.

As for staying in hospital after the birth, its usually anything up to 6hrs for a straight forward birth, unless those 6hrs end at like 2am, then you'd have to stay in as there'd be no-one to discharge you, not that you couldn't discharge yourself though. Hope some of that helped :hug:

We didn't bath Fi for 10 days! Sounds smelly but it wasn't, lol, we top and tailed her. We were advisd against bathing her for a while as she had a traumatic birth and whilst she seemed fine the midwife said not to in case it stressed her.

She had her nappy on and was dressed a couple of hours after birth - after pooing down daddy's arm and on the hospital blanket.

My mum did the nappy and dressed her as Matt (OH) had no idea what he was doing and I couldn't move!

I stayed in overnight as she was born in the evening.

I had a bath once they'd stitched me up - maybe 90 min after birth but TBH it was more like a bloodbath :puke:

Mildly said:

i think everyones covered it now :) but Jack was wrapped in a hospital blanket, and not sure when nappy was put on but it wasnt straight away... TBH tho midwife put him nappy on and a little gown (didnt even think anything of it at the time :think: ) they cleaned him up but didnt have a bath until about day 8!

Not sure how much notice they will give you about how long you'll have to stay in. coz i had to stay in for 3 days due to my blood pressure being high during pregnancy. But the min time is 6 hours. i would have loved to have got out then.

Thanks Claire :D I'm sure I'll probably be so out of it or so interested in my son that I won't care :D But I kinda like knowing these things in advance :)

Luke was wrapped in a hospital towel and passed to me, then taken away and put under the lights to warm up for a bit, then passed back to me for some skin to skin.

While I had a shower, the MW said Matt could dress him after she had put a nappy on him but he wasn't confident enough so they did it together :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back