Expressing after birth?

Discussion in 'Ask a Mum!' started by prickleyfairy, May 28, 2006.

1. prickleyfairy

prickleyfairy Well-Known Member

Hi,

I just wondered how soon after birth can you start to express milk, i read somewhere 4-6 weeks, is that correct or can i start straight away??

Amy xx

2. sarah jane

sarah jane Active Member

hi ya when i breast fed my daughter i done it when my milk come through it wasnt nice at first,bit painful and little fustrating but takes couple of times to get used to it......... :doh:

3. sarah jane

sarah jane Active Member

im 37wks pregnant and finding it really difficult to sleep at night :doh: ive tryed so many things any suggestions :?:

4. Urchin

Urchin Well-Known Member

Hiya, they do say to wait until your supply is establised (4-6 weeks I think) I didn't bother doing it for about 3 months, I hate faffing about with the steriliser!

5. beanie

beanie Well-Known Member

Your milk supply is established in the first 4-6 weeks and if you express during this time it can make youre body think too much milk is needed and you may have a surplus. Also there can be teat confusion for the baby. A bottle and a breast require different techniques from the baby, bottles tend to just put the milk in their mouth and when they swallow more then goes in whereas with the breast they use their tongue to milk it out. By 6 weeks the baby has learnt how to breastfeed and therefore a bottle won't confuse them. However if you need to use a bottle before then this link will give you some hints how to bottlefeed in a manner conducive to breastfeeding. Any other questions just ask huin xxx

6. Rosieroo

Rosieroo Well-Known Member

I expressed about a week after my milk came in as my boobs were so full and uncomfy.

7. Tiny Sue

Tiny Sue Well-Known Member

I began expressing with a breastpump when my daughter was four days old...I had to though because she wasn't latching on. It takes a few days but the milk does come in after that.

Sue

8. beanie

beanie Well-Known Member

Expressing to relieve engorgement and to help baby latch on is recommended its just the regular pumping of milk and using a bottle before then that isn't. My baby used a bottle before then and was fine but other babies refuse the breast, or if a bottle is given the body thinks that not as much milk is needed and makes less.

9. prickleyfairy

prickleyfairy Well-Known Member

Thank you for all the usefull advice and tips!

Amy xx