Sterilsing - When to stop?

i stopped a week before willows first birthday, and i found it really hard to do as i was so worried.

Hiya,

I haven't stopped yet but plan to around my sons 1st birthday.

I have stopped sterilising his bowls, spoons and juice cups. xxx

i sterlise connor's ebm bottles at the mo but will stop at 6 months. i don't sterilise my nipple shields or his dummies - he's got everything in his mouth these days anyway; i just wash them in v hot water.

sterilising used to be done because our tap water wasn't clean. in the uk now, our tap water is clean, therefore if you wash things thoroughly, there is no need to sterilise.

however, i sterilise at the moment just in case i haven't cleaned the bottles quite thoroughly enough.

docs & HVs worry that people won't clean the bottles well enough (hence the advice to sterilise) and thus potentially expose baby to gastroenteritis. but actually, your baby is far more likely to contract viral gastroenteritis than bacterial.

as long as you wash stuff up properly, there is absolutely no need to either sterilise or worry :) :)

I wanted to know this to. I think i will stop sterilizing at 6 months but wasnt sure if that was to early?? I dont sterilize his juice cup, spoons, bowls or dummies cos i think its good for them as it will build up his ammune system

littlepip said:
I wanted to know this to. I think i will stop sterilizing at 6 months but wasnt sure if that was to early?? I dont sterilize his juice cup, spoons, bowls or dummies cos i think its good for them as it will build up his ammune system

over-sterilisation has actually been linked to the increase in childhood leukaemia cos kids today are being 'protected' from germs too much...

i still do his bottle em , but teether , spoons , bowls , cow cup etc arent done !

With ds he was a year old exactly when i stopped sterlizing, i was quite anal about it really and over did it. With imms though i stopped when she was just over 4 months, was lazyness really! but shes been very healthy and not been ill sinc she was 5 weeks old so csnt have hurt her that much and now just wash everything in hot water x

Ive stopped sterillizing everything except his milk bottles. Ive heard you can stop at 6 months but im still a bit uncertain. ive got a cold water sterillizer so once they're washed all i have to do is drop them into the sterillized water so it doesnt take up any time. When kys suddenly demanded a bottle and ive had none sterillized i have given him one without it being sterillized just washed it again. ive done that quite a bit and hes been fine.

Im still sterilising everything at the moment including his bowl and spoon e.t.c After reading these post's though im thinking of now stopping sterilising his bowl and spoon. I will continue to sterilise his bottles and teats until he is 1 years old though just to be on the safe side.

P.s - A couple of people on this thread have mentioned not sterilising their LO's juice cup anymore, I was just wondering, what juice are you giving?? I diddnt realise we could give juice. I thought we had to wait until they are over 9 months? I dont know where I got that from but its stuck in my head :D anyway, if thats not the case can you give me some more details please so I can try it :D

T xx

Tiggy26 said:
P.s - A couple of people on this thread have mentioned not sterilising their LO's juice cup anymore, I was just wondering, what juice are you giving?? I diddnt realise we could give juice. I thought we had to wait until they are over 9 months? I dont know where I got that from but its stuck in my head :D anyway, if thats not the case can you give me some more details please so I can try it :D

T xx

It is mostly boiled water I give in the juice cup, but I do give him the odd taste of the Hipp mineral water with a hint of apple or red grape juice. It says on the bottle that it is suitable from 4 months, but I only started offering it a few weeks ago. xxx

Wii.Fit.Queen. said:
Tiggy26 said:

T xx

It is mostly boiled water I give in the juice cup, but I do give him the odd taste of the Hipp mineral water with a hint of apple or red grape juice. It says on the bottle that it is suitable from 4 months, but I only started offering it a few weeks ago. xxx

Oh I see. thanks

T xx

Stoped Sterilising at 5/6 months iirc - Deffinatly was not over 6 months.

I also let him eat slugs and worms and put his hands in mud. germs are a good thing to a degree!

teds was just under 6 months.. he was shoving everything in his trap anyways so it was pointless although i still wash with sterilising solution in the bowl. when i boil up apples and pears he has the cooled water from that as juice i dont use any concentrate juices.. he will drink water anyways..

lisa&alex said:
teds was just under 6 months.. he was shoving everything in his trap anyways so it was pointless although i still wash with sterilising solution in the bowl. when i boil up apples and pears he has the cooled water from that as juice i dont use any concentrate juices.. he will drink water anyways..

this was the same with aidan

I read somewhere that you can stop sterilizing everything except bottles after 6 months. Bottles are advised after 1 year, this is because of the bugs that live in milk. Like everyone else has said you do what feels right for you and your little one :D

i give ky regular diluted juice or fruit juice. hes fine with it. im pretty laid back with most of these food rules. hes a baby not something that needs to be wrapped in cotton wool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back