when do you stop!!!

neeko_1

Reaction score
hey

just wondering when do you stop sterilising bottles??

You dont stop sterilising bottles until they are a year old but the spoons and bowls and things that dont have formula milk in them you can wash with hot soapy water :)

The advice is 12 months. I stopped at 12 months with Jess, 10 months with Aimee and 6 months with Nathan. Basically when he was just putting stuff in his mouth anyway. I have never sterilized bowls and spoons.

Flame said:
You dont stop sterilising bottles until they are a year old but the spoons and bowls and things that dont have formula milk in them you can wash with hot soapy water :)

Thats what I was told.... but at 10 months Tia was walking about gwandpaa's garden sticking rocks in her mouth, so I decided that sterilising was pretty pointless... Using hot soapy water was more hygienic than garden rocks, so if she wasn't dead already, stopping sterilising wasn't going to do it.. :rotfl:

Alex doesn't have bottles, but I stopped sterilising his dummy at about 2 months *shrugs*.

With Lydia I stopped sterilising bottles at 6 months when I started weaning her. What's the point in havinig sterilised bottles, and non-sterilised plates and cutlery? Seems daft.

omg just looked at your ticker, cant believe shes 6 months already! wheres the time gone :shock:

I still sterilize Isaac's bottles but don't know why as sometimes don't his bowls and spoons and rarely his dummy's.

Redshoes said:
I still sterilize Isaac's bottles but don't know why as sometimes don't his bowls and spoons and rarely his dummy's.

Ditto

His bowls and spoons go in the dishwasher which just about sterilises stuff anyway.

Xena said:
Alex doesn't have bottles, but I stopped sterilising his dummy at about 2 months *shrugs*.

With Lydia I stopped sterilising bottles at 6 months when I started weaning her. What's the point in havinig sterilised bottles, and non-sterilised plates and cutlery? Seems daft.

The reason for sterilising the bottles is because bacteria grows quicker and easier from milk than it does from food on the bowls and spoons etc.

Flame said:
Xena said:

The reason for sterilising the bottles is because bacteria grows quicker and easier from milk than it does from food on the bowls and spoons etc.

oh ok, I didn't know that.
Oh well too late to worry about that now lol - all's well that ends well. She didn't seem to suffer from anything as a result of stopping at 6 months so that's alright.

If Alex ever uses bottles I'll remember to sterilise them until 12 months. cheers :)

6 months I stopped at. And on SMA follow on tins it says you can stop at 6 months and just wash out with hot soapy water :?

Flame said:
Xena said:

Its not necessary to sterilise bottles post-weaning unless you are mixing and storing formula ahead of use, which is against current guidelines in any case.

I stopped sterilising Maia's bottles at 17 weeks when I started weaning her. I just wash them in hot water and then fill them with boiling water and allow them to cool.

Then I just add the formula right before feed time, that way there is no time for any bacteria to grow.

i stopped at 5months with Harley. and 12months with Dior.

i would just sterilize them once a week to keep them looking nice and clean and in the mean time just wash them as i would normal dishes

I dont sterilize every day anymore, I soak them in hot soapy water and rince them now. I do it a few times a week and thats it. She had less illnesses me not sterilzing then stephen who had his bottles sterilized religeously every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back