Sterilisation ...

Sparklisam

Reaction score
Hello..

I'm sure there are loads of threads about this so sorry if im asking for repetition !!

I have decided to FF after 12 days of breast feeding. I tried so hard and the guilt I felt today was incredible but my Lo is a lot happier already and so am I. I can already feel my anxieties and pain of breast feeding releasing (although my boobs are like melons :/ )

Please can someone inform me of the rules on sterilisation. I know the bottles stay sterile for 24 hours if the lid remains on the steriliser. How long once the lid has been removed. So if I just add the lids on still empty ??

Once I've added the water where do I store the bottles ?? Room temp or fridge ?? How long before they have to be used ??

Thank you very much xx

I fill the bottles with the neccessary amount of water once they are sterilsed, replace the lids and store at Room temp, they are good for 24 hours like this. I then add the powder when needed, you can get powder dispensers which are little plastic pots, this way you can measure out the powder in advance and just add to the water as needed.

Everyone seems to have different methods but I can assure you that this is safe. I have done this for both my children and mw/hv have confirmed it is too.

Good luck x

Bottles are fine for 24 hours after sterilisation provided you assemble them from the steriliser and don't open them again until you're ready to use them.

Technically you need to make up formula with water above 70 degrees to kill any bugs that might be in the formula. There are instructions on the formula boxes and the NHS website. Most of us that did this seemed to use a flask of hot water - I had a tommee tippee one that kept the water above 70 degrees for up to 8 hours, allowing me to make bottles during the night. I used to add half water from the flask, add the formula, then add the rest of the water from a jug of cooled boiled water. That produced a warm but not too hot bottle, where the formula had been in contact with the 70 degree water as recommended.

Hugs for having to give up breastfeeding. It's tough isn't it? :hugs:

Last edited:
Ok lovely thanks for all your help ..

Made all his bottles up last night for the night and today using the pots for the powder. Got a tommee tippee bottle warmer which I used overnight to warm up quick.

Yes little Angel breast feeding is tough and the decision to stop is even harder !! I have major engorged boobs at the mo which are excruitiating but I have a happy baby so completely worth it.

Xx

I actually meant giving up is tough. BF is tough too, but if you had your heart set on BF and weren't able to do it, it's so hard to give up. The guilt, the indecision, the physical problems of giving up. Just remember you gave your LO 12 days of breast milk. That's very important in terms of health benefit.

:hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back