Sterilising... again!

Snuggle

Reaction score
I got sick of my steam steriliser so I now use the Milton tablets in a container of water instead. So much easier :D

Cold water sterilising
This uses a non-toxic solution, such as Milton, which also comes in handy tablet form. The solution is highly effective against bacteria. It is safe to use and can be applied to the skin or even swallowed with no harmful effects. You can buy special sterilising units for this purpose but you could equally use a clean bucket or plastic container with a lid, provided there is something to keep the bottles submerged under the solution, such as a heavy plate. You need to check that there are no air bubbles left in the bottles to ensure complete sterilisation.

The equipment should be sterile after half an hour and can safely be left in the solution for up to 24 hours. You will need to change the solution daily and remember to wash your hands before removing the sterilised items

you dont need to sterlise the powder containers hunni, same as the jar the powder is kept in, once its opened it not sterile any more, only thing that come into contact with liquid form of milk if you get me like bottles and teats, and dummies as they fall out of babies mouth etc.

But i did get sick of my electric sterliser too, i used a microwave one and once it was done fill all the bottles with boiled water and left them on side until i needed them and used my powder dispenser to make up feed.

Precisely the reason I favour cold water sterilisers. Everyone thinks I'm stuck in the dark ages!

But everything is sterile whenever you need it. You just make it up every 24hrs. Easy!

CalamityGem said:
My steriliser (Tommee Tippee) keeps things sterile for 3 hours... after the 3 hours, I have to switch it on again. It's difficult if I'm going out and I need a sterile bottle or a dummy, I've got to wait on the steriliser again then on it cooling down before I can get my clean bottle or dummy out. Also, if I'm going out, I want to take a powder dispenser so I have to wait on this being sterilised, colling down, then ages on it drying!

How do I get round this? :wall:

I have a Avent steam steriliser which, like yours, also only keeps things sterile for 3 hours if not opened. What I do is to sterilise 6 bottles in one go, then to store them (closed with teat and lid) in the fridge for up to 24 hours so that I can use as and when needed. If I'm going out, then I pop the bottles into a coolbag with an icepack, and I use the ready-made formula in cartons. There are also pre-sterilised single-use milk bottles that you can purchase - I've just bought a pack of 4 for an upcoming wedding I'll be attending this weekend so I don't need to bother with the coolbag or icepack either.

them packed sterlised bottles are sooo good, wish they were cheaper i'd use them all the time, when alana was only a few months old we went on holiday and took 30 of them bottles as we were staying in hotel with no fridge or kettle, so just took pre made milk and sterile bottles. made life so easy

Ladybird said:
Precisely the reason I favour cold water sterilisers. Everyone thinks I'm stuck in the dark ages!

But everything is sterile whenever you need it. You just make it up every 24hrs. Easy!

Everyone said the same to me.. but I loved my cold water steriliser... :)

If I needed something quick though... I was even more stuck in the dark ages .... I'd get the pan out and boil the item I needed for 5 mins... :)

I just couldn't get on with the advent microwave steriliser that I had... :wall:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back