speech at 21 months?

kellie80

Reaction score
I did post about this subject a while ago but as I'm still no further along and getting more worried I thought I would post again. Nathans just turned 21 months now and still doesn't say anything. We were sent on a speech course but its not much good. Nathan gets put in a creche with a load of other kids who can't speak and I have to do the course. It not much use at all and I'm yet to learn any thing I don't already know. I've been back to the HV to complain really and ask her opinion again cos I don't think we are getting anywhere! They are coming for a 2nd visit on the 18th to see where hes up too. He is barely saying mama and thats it really. The rest he just babbles like a 6 month old. Just interested where other children are up to at his age and am I panicing over nothing? I'm quite happy to wait and let him learn at his own pace but don't want to overlook anything and leave it too late to get help if you know what I mean.

http://www.gp-training.net/protocol/pae ... herapy.htm

Be pushy and try to get a speech therapy referral, the waiting list will prob take him past his 2nd birthday anyway.
There may be a physical reason for the delay and the sooner it's sorted the better if so. Sounds like you're doing all the right things to promote speech so this will have to be the next step anyway unless he suddenly improves.
Don't worry though, my friend's little boy didn't say a word til he was 3 and now he doesn't shut up :lol:

if your instinct says your not happy about his speech complain like mad untill you get some help. All babies develop at their own rate but it's your right to be concerned as his mummy xx
My daughter is very behind on speech, although has come on leaps and bounds since she turned 2 and went up a class at nursery, she struggles to pronounce pretty much every sound there is but she makes herself understood.
There is more than likely nothing to be concerned about but it can't hurt to try every avenue :) you're obviously quite concerned or else you wouldn't have posted :hug:

As people have already said, all children differ greatly.
By 21 months, my daughter could easily hold full conversations, sing songs, count, even recite the alphabet (well, sing it anyway).
She always was an early talker though. She could say a ton of words by the time she was 14 months old, most of which were fairly clear to understand, and she did things you told her to (pick that up, come here, etc)

My son, on the other hand, is 14 months now and says very little, and most things he does say sounds very similar to everything else.
e.g.
mama = 'mama'
daddy = 'daddy'
computer = 'uh-dah'
water = 'dah...(long pause)...dah'
food = 'dah...(short pause)...dah'
chocolate = 'toh-dah'
clap = 'cla'
grandad = 'ga-dah'
Plus he doesn't seem to respond to instructions at all. Well, he comes when you call him, but that's pretty much it.

Also my daughter could walk independently by the time she was 12 and a half months old. My son can't even stand up by himself (only when you prop him against something), and has never pulled himself up.

So there's a lot of difference even between siblings. Your son may be a slow starter but I bet he'll catch up, and in a couple of years time you probably won't be able to tell any difference between his speech and that of his peers.

hi hun was wandering how nathan was getting on the other day. :hug:

luke is nearly 21 months and he says quite alot(his speech has always been good but he was slower to walk etc) He copies words now and seems to remember them picks up new words every day.

i remember posting about my friends twin boys who are 6 weeks older than luke and at the same stage i think it was 17months when you posted earlier that they too didn't say hardly anything, i haven't spoken to them or there mum for a while but through one of our friends apparently they almost overnight started just speaking and picking up loads of words from no where.

if you worried then i think you must persist like the others have said but i'm sure also one day it will just click and fall into place. no harm in pushing it along though and getting a professional opinion xx

Hiya, as you have yourself mentioned every child is different and there is every chance that nathan will develop perfectly normal speech but is just slightly delayed. I know it is a distance from you but i recommend contacting these people the Speech LAnguage and Hearing Centre:

http://www.speech-lang.org.uk/

Also have you just thought about getting his hearing tested? I only mention it as my sister is hearing impaired and it can cause speech delay too.

You should def be speaking to a qualified speech therapist and occupational therapist as they would be able to offer you the help and advice you need.

Hes had his hearing tested when he was about 10 months as he didn't have it done at birth and they said everything was fine. I got a letter today confirming my appointment for the visit on the 18th of Nov and they are looking at his speech and language and also someones coming to do his 20 month check at the same time so I should find out whats going on them. I will let you know how I get on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back