Spd help

kanga86

Reaction score
I have tried searching on my phone for other spd topics but it tells me there is none! :wall: So starting another one.

I was told by my midwife over the phone yesterday that she thinks I have spd. I have been having niggling pains in my hips and between my legs for a couple of weeks when lying in bed, turning awkwardly or opening my legs to far, like squatting down. Yesterday it hit a whole new level and every time i stand up from sitting I get this awful pain in the middle of my pelvis. I took it easy after work in the hopes it would ease up, but work this morning as been near on impossible, it I painful to walk around now too.

Can spd really get this bad this quick? An I expected for it to get worse? My midwife really wasn't that helpful at all.

What sort of things do I need to avoid? I know that when moving around I need to try and keep my knees together, be careful getting in and out of car and bed. But what else can ease the pain?

I work as a cleaner so constantly sweeping, mopping and scrubbing showers which involves bending down or squatting? I'm guessing this could aggrevate the spd? I have another 6 weeks at work before I go on maternity, not sure im going to last I the pain gets worse?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated xxx

Snap lol although it's taken til I'm 39 weeks before anyone apart from my chiropractor has listened to me. I've been in agony hun so try and get referred to a physio asap. I have found this site helpful

http://www.thinkbaby.co.uk/pregnanc...-is-symphysis-pubis-dysfunction-spd/1346.html

Basically a lot of it is about posture. The pubis bone is the foundation to the body and without it the rib cage and spine would collapse which sounds bizarre....all it is is a tiny bit of cartiledge. Once spd gets you it won't go until after the birth cos it's all down to the hormone Relaxin which helps the pelvis become more flexible for birth. Too much of the hormone and it sets off spd. If you can afford it a good chiropractor can definitely help but make sure they are trained for maternity. Hope you get some relief soon hunny xxxxxxxxx

Kanga if you drop me a pm with your email I'll send over a sheet I got from my physio with advice on what to do/ not to do along with some exercises.

Midwife should be able to refer you for physio x

I feel your pain sweetie. I bought a support band from eBay that goes under and over your bump. It lifts the weight up off the pelvis and works a treat! So comfortable to wear too. Was about £15 but money well spent!
It's getting out of bed and turning over that affects me xx

Aw :hugs:

I have SPD too but I've managed it since 30 weeks or so by doing very little.

I went to see physio and got a tubi grip for my bump and she told me to do some exercises such as pelvic floor/pelvic tilts and the cat pose in yoga.

Snap lol although it's taken til I'm 39 weeks before anyone apart from my chiropractor has listened to me. I've been in agony hun so try and get referred to a physio asap. I have found this site helpful

http://www.thinkbaby.co.uk/pregnanc...-is-symphysis-pubis-dysfunction-spd/1346.html

Basically a lot of it is about posture. The pubis bone is the foundation to the body and without it the rib cage and spine would collapse which sounds bizarre....all it is is a tiny bit of cartiledge. Once spd gets you it won't go until after the birth cos it's all down to the hormone Relaxin which helps the pelvis become more flexible for birth. Too much of the hormone and it sets off spd. If you can afford it a good chiropractor can definitely help but make sure they are trained for maternity. Hope you get some relief soon hunny xxxxxxxxx

OMG I've been suffering with this for weeks was meant to get referred to physio at my 34 week check but it was cancelled then when I saw the midwife 36 weeks at she did nothing only don't me why I was in so much pain! I was so angry because I can barely walk more than 10 steps or laying in bed, now u just feel its too late!! I hate the way some midwives treat you. It even states in my notes to be referred to physio!!

My midwife really didn't seem interested in doing anything about it :( I am seeing her next Friday for my 28 week check so I will mention it to her again.

I am also going to see my cousin tomorrow morning as she has a support belt I can have, she had her baby 4 weeks ago. Really do hope it helps me out xxx

If your midwife doesn't listen then go up the triage unit, they helped me loads on Monday bless them and weren't best pleased that I hadn't been referred to a physio, especially as I am battling with my back where I broke it too. Having them on your side should help you to get your mw to take notice hun

My midwife really didn't seem interested in doing anything about it :( I am seeing her next Friday for my 28 week check so I will mention it to her again.

I am also going to see my cousin tomorrow morning as she has a support belt I can have, she had her baby 4 weeks ago. Really do hope it helps me out xxx

The MW and GPs didn't seem to want to help me at first either, persist hunny. It will be worth it when you can see the physio.

Hun I had SPD from 9 weeks pregnant so you really have to push the gp and mw. Get them to refer you to physio and get you a support belt. There are pain killers you can take eg paracetomol or codiene that are safe to use in pregnancy.

Hoovering and sweeping etc is not a good activity with SPD and the physio will tell you off for doing it. lol. Make sure when turning over, getting up and getting out of a car you do so with legs together. Try and push your self off things rather than use your pelvic muscles to pull you up. If swimming don't do any front crawl or breast stroke. Try lots of heat pads or even a warm flannel over your bits to ease the pain and lots of warm baths. Sorry I can't be more help but I do understand the pain. xxx

Hi hon, I've had it since early on like leannesxb and all the things she says is exactly what my physio said too. I now have crutches which I use at night, but took them to work today for the first time as I've had a hard week. It's really crap but man to the crutches relieve the pressure on my joints!

At first it was just my hips, but now I get it quite often in my coccyx and my pubic bone, there's really nothing that can be done for that unfortunately, but to avoid hurting my hips I just try not to bend, twist or turn too much. When getting out the car, I put the seat right back so I can swivel my legs out all at once.

Sorry to hear this has affected you hon, I really wouldn't wish it on anyone xxx

~Kanga - have sent you an email so at least if it takes some time to get referred, you can start by doing the exercises now to alleviate some of the pain/symptoms.

If anyone else want the info just drop me a PM with your email address on xx

Thank u so much for all ur tips ladies! Still in shock at how severe it has gotten over the last 2 days. I just got back from a long drive, been in the car for one journey of 2 hours and then 3 hours home, and just struggled to stand and waddle in the house :( feeling ok now though, I don't get any pain whilst sat down at all.

I'm off work until Tuesday so hopefully I can recover a bit before going back in, and if I struggle I will obviously talk to my boss about changing my jobs or starting maternity earlier than planned :( xxx

Hun you are better off taking early leave if it means you are in less pain. The stress of it all and not being able to rest is no good for either of you. I know it sucks but don't let the pain ruin something that should be wonderful :hug: xxxxxxxxx

I found the pelvic partnership website really useful www.pelvicpartnership.org.uk although it turns out my pain isn't PGP just an unknown pain - possibly a trapped nerve that I've learned to live with!! Its not nice whatever it is xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back