Something interesting happened today!

Vicky_Gazerimmer

Reaction score
Hey Everyone

Had my first midwife appointment today and she was really nice which was great.
However I had been physicing myself up for a blood test today but turns out I have to wiat till scan day for that haha.

However she felt my tummy and has booked me in for an emergency scan as she now thinks I might be 12 - 14 weeks rather than 8!!! crazy at least I dont have to wait a month now yey!

I was abit taken aback by the amount of leaflets I was given on birth defects seems abit scary :shock: She asked me if I was gonna have the bloods check for my downs risk, but to be honest I dont think I will even if my baby has downs I will still keep it and love it all the same. she did mention that I shud be a low risk as I am only 24 and there is no history of it in mine or my fellas families. Anyone else not had it done?

ive not had the downs test on any of mine hun i know i couldnt abort so didnt see the point in having it like you said il love my baby no matter what so why spend 9 months worrying xxxx

I'm having the test simply because I want to be as prepared as possible with already having a LO to look after. If it turned out to be downs then I'd like to know as far in advance as poss.

Vicky_Gazerimmer said:
makes sense! thanks hun x

No problem hun

It took me a bit to figure out, there are still a few I dont get, so I just make up what I think they might be pmsl

I had the test just to be prepared as much as poss.

But I was low risk because I am only 21, and the tests came back fine :)

Im having the test, also to be prepaired.

Is it just a simple blood test then? Im thinking I should be low risk anyway as im 25 and no history in it in my or OH family at all.

I know one of the factors for possible downs is age, but what are the other higher risk areas?

Yeah just a simple blood test nothing too extreme, unless your like me and hate needles! I bloody went all faint like! :roll:

Silly me!

angiemum2b said:
Yeah just a simple blood test nothing too extreme, unless your like me and hate needles! I bloody went all faint like! :roll:

Silly me!

lol

no i dont mind giving blood, I do it for the blood service and I have to get my thyroid levels checked every few months so Im used to it. Only problem is my veins like to hide, so sometimes they have to get it from my hands instead, and that bloody hurts!

The thing is it starts with a blood test which roughly determines if there is a risk, if the risk comes back as being about 1-100 or less they then want to do a more certain test, which would be a lot more acurate in determining if the baby is downs, This is what the amnio test is for, where they incert a needle to remove cells from the baby for testing, however this test carrys the risk of causing miscarrage. So what you need to think about is if your told you have a higher risk of downs from the blood test, do you then worry thoughtout your pregnancy about it or do you have the amnio to know for sure, but have that risk of miscarrying from the test what may even be a compltly heathy baby.

oooo thats exciting that you might be further gone that you thought you are! let us know when you get the date for scan.

Well last night me and my OH read through all the leaflets on downs and tests for it and have decided not to do it. We have both agreed we will have what we are given whether it be healthy or not so healthy we will love it all the same.

we have no other kids at the moment, so if this one ended up with health issues then next time ropund I would have the test in order to be prepared.

To be honest though I am only 24 and my OH is 23 there is no history of it in either family so touch wood everything should be fine. I guess I will no more at my scan.

I would be interested to know what are the causes of being a higher risk does anyone know?

:wave:

good luck with the scan and no i'm not doing the blood tests :D

Hi

Good luck , how exciting that you could be further along keep us posted
Katrina

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members