Sling Question

zebrastripes

Reaction score
I had a nice baby carrier for Willow that I used constantly until she was about 5-6 months old...was a little heavy on the back after that!
However i do want to get another sling, mainly for carrying her round the house, walking to the beach etc. I was thinking something like this
http://www.underthegooseberrybush.co.uk ... ductId=132

because it looks quite versatile, and they can be adjusted all sorts of ways can't they? I really have no idea. She's almost 8 months old and I want to be able to use it for quite some time...but like I said, I don't really know what I'm looking for...

Help?

get one like mine hun..they really bear the weight. they are usually more expensive than ring slings but they are fab..you can make one yourself if you wanted.. you dont even have to sew them, you will need about 5 meters of jersey cotton in 60inch width and you cut it into a 20inch width x 5 meters strip and thats your sling.you wrap it around yourself in different ways to get different carrying positions. hemming it would look neater..but you dont have to hem it and the materials about £5 per meter but you have enough left over for 2 more slings there. alternitivly they are around 50 quid to buy. im sure i could knock you one up if you wanted.

PICT0371.jpg
this was in its rough form.. its all hemmed and complete now lol..

wow...looks really good..course it didn't occur to me that you could make them yourself :doh: :lol:

I would recommend a wrap sling as well, I have a hugabub which is fantastic. There are two different types, the stretchy wraps (like the hugabub) or woven (like a didymos or calin bleu). The woven is better for bigger children as the stretchy ones can stretch a bit too much with a heavier child in. There are a few forums that sell wrap slings (and others) second hand so they are not as expensive as new - just google babywearing

here is some info about different types of sling
http://www.treehuggermums.co.uk/article ... rticle=175
and examples of different types of wraps
http://www.littlepossums.co.uk/slings/wrap-slings.htm

oh yes woven fabrics can be cheese cloth.. can you sew? if not could your texti8le teacher show u how to do it on a school machine :) saves a lot of money lol

This isn't a sling, and I've not tried it, but I saw this at the Baby show and thought it was a brilliant idea.

http://www.debraclare.com

Maybe not for around the house but it'd be ideal for the beach!

Ok, I have a dilemma.

I love the Ellaroo wrap...it is however £46 and tbh I don't have a huge budget, but I could manage it. I'm trying to work out whether it would be better paying a bit more for something that will last me until W is a toddler, or trying to make one myself which will be admittedly cheaper but will probably fall apart after about two seconds. :think:

zebrastripes said:
Ok, I have a dilemma.

I love the Ellaroo wrap...it is however £46 and tbh I don't have a huge budget, but I could manage it. I'm trying to work out whether it would be better paying a bit more for something that will last me until W is a toddler, or trying to make one myself which will be admittedly cheaper but will probably fall apart after about two seconds. :think:

Go with the Ellaroo, its a fab wrap and you'll never need another (unless you turn into me of course :rotfl: ) Stretchy wraps honestly have such a short life span, they are great for a newborn but the older your baby is when you buy one the less value you will get out of it. If a baby is over 3-4 months i always recommend a woven.

Melanie said:
zebrastripes said:
Ok, I have a dilemma.

Go with the Ellaroo, its a fab wrap and you'll never need another (unless you turn into me of course :rotfl: ) Stretchy wraps honestly have such a short life span, they are great for a newborn but the older your baby is when you buy one the less value you will get out of it. If a baby is over 3-4 months i always recommend a woven.

I have a freedom sling... it cost just 16quid for the thrifty. And its fab. :cheer: Its the most useful item of baby equipment I own. And I need to get round to buying another. I got the cheap one because I wasn't sure if I'd get on with it...but honestly I love it and its a LOT cheaper than the ellaroo range. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Freedom-Slings the woman is just sooooo helpful too :)

Thanks squiglet was looking for a good sling that wasn't rediculously expensive for when baby comes along, may have to get one!

yes i do make them to sell..

have you tried www.easyslings.com if you tell the woman lisa sent you she will give you discount shes pretty reasonable to.. this isnt my site btw :) lol think il post a how to make a sling in hobbies in offtopic :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back