Sleeping Trouble...

ASD123456

Reaction score
.....Well the dream is well and truly over (literally!), I can't sleep on my belly anymore and sleeping on my side is proving a bit difficult as I'm a novice.

I keep waking up on my back which I have never done in my life and now that I'm pregnant I'm not supposed to. Sleeping on my side gives me back ache because the bump has no support.

So, has anyone got any good sleeping advice. Have you bought special maternity pillows? Whats the best way to use a normal pillow to support your bump?

This probably seems like a long post to just talk about sleep but I've been a belly sleeper all my life and now I'm finding it hard to adjust especially with the extra worry about sleeping on you back.

Alex xxx

Oh no, I think i must've missed the chapter on sleeping! I've always slept on my left side, every now and then I find myself on my back- is this not right?! :shock:
Lidl's have maternity pillows on sale from today for only £8.99- saw it advertised at the weekend so might be worth investing.
I'm shuffling off now to find out more info on sleeping positions! I'll let you know if I find any nuggets of info if others don't post first!

To support your bump atm you can just use a normal pillow, maybe not overfull, and rest it under your tummy as you turn sideways on to it. Curl down a bit onto it so you are leaning slightly downwards not lying straight on your side.

Also putting one between your knees/legs helps keep a good position. If you bring your top leg over and forward, it will help keep you in position. Don't have it behind you as it will encourage you to roll back.

If you find you are rolling over onto your back atm don't panic too much. Its only a bit later on when LO gets bigger and you end up possibly reducing your circulation due to the weight. You ideally in a few weeks don't want to be spending too long on your back. Even if you feel fine in your legs etc, it still reduces blood flow all round your body and to placenta.

If you do keep rolling onto your back, put a pillow behind you to stop you being able to lie totally flat.

Sleeping on your left side is optimal for good circulation when resting/sleeping.

I tend to rotate through the night, a couple of hours each side. Usually turn over every time I get up to wee :roll:

A few weeks ago once bump was getting a bit too big for a normal pillow I invested in one of the long ones, £20 from Mothercare. Its bliss, but takes some getting used to. I can lean right into it, have it starting from my boobs downward giving support and bump presses into it, not really resting on it, and I swing my top leg and arm over it also, so I am tilted forward, kind of hugging it. I sometimes have to wrestle it away from OH who likes to hug it while he sleeps also :roll:

Hope I explained it ok :)

handbagqueen said:
Oh no, I think i must've missed the chapter on sleeping! I've always slept on my left side, every now and then I find myself on my back- is this not right?! :shock:

You are fine atm :) Don't panic.

See my post above which explains about sleeping on your back later in pregnancy and why you should avoid it if you can then.

Sleeping on your left side is actually the best postion for circulation and so on. So thats a very good thing for baby in there. You may find as your bump grows bigger and things like hips beginning to ache mean you have to turn over and sleep on your right side also, but thats fine. Staying in one position when more heavily PG I find almost a near impossibility. Its agony on my hips and pelvis. LO moves, squirms, makes me uncomfy, heartburn kicks in... all those lovely things so end up turning over a lot.

Thatnks for the replies girls, very informative. I'm going to try out a regular pillow tonight and maybe move onto a proper body one when the bump gets super sized.

Alex xxx

Thanks Sherlock!
Sorry for jumping on your thread Alex- just never thought about this before!

I have a full length body pillow which i haven't had much success with. I am using a wedge pillow from mothercare at the moment which is brilliant, i feel much more supported and it is easier to get to sleep. :sleep:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back