sleep positions

louise_d

Reaction score
morning everyone :wave: hope you all had a good weekend! :hug:
quick question -
i'm sure i read somewhere that once your past 16weeks its no advisable to sleep on your back? something due to pressure on veins/arteries. i know i've got a couple of weeks left but as a tummy sleeper i'm only now getting used to sleeping on my back :wall: and will have to start practicing side sleeping!!

lou xx

Hi,,

well they do say this in various magazines but when I asked my mw (and I asked a different one last time I was pg) she said that it was nonsense until the baby was quite a bit bigger, like 24 weeks plus. She said that you'd know if it was a problem as you'd feel that it was wrong and would feel very dizzy etc, I had major hip pain with Elliott if I slept on my sides so they suggested I sit propped up on a lot of pillows but on my back- apparently it's only if you're totally flat that it might be a problem. I've got sciatica this time and was having a very bad time sleeping until I tried sitting kind of half sitting up (on my back). I've got a normal pillow, a maternity pillow and a v pillow under my head and upper body with a little scatter cushion in between to make a ramp. A standard pillow running long-wise under this for my hips and then a gap and a big pillow under my knees which helps my back. I have honestly slept SO well on it and because of the angle it feels good with the bump getting bigger as well. It's hilarious looking at our bed though- it's like a pillow mountain!

Anyway, I would ask your mw about it to be honest. Mine was so surprised that she wanted to know where I'd heard it. It's a funny one as you read it a lot of places.

:hug: :hug: :hug:
+++

I agree with Rosebay to check with your midwife although Im pretty sure you will know when to stop! I have just started to get short of breath lying on my back but then I am pretty big already!! :oops: :lol:
Luckily I lie on my side mainly! :lol:

thanks ladies :hug: love this site! never feel silly asking things because someones already been there or knows the answers! :cheer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back