Sleeping and feeding dilemma - don't know what to do??!!

hellywelly

Reaction score
E normally goes down about 8/8.30pm, I wake her at 6.30 for a feed and then she goes back down til 9.30. As an experiment I didn't wake her for the 6.30 feed today just to see what time she would wake naturally and she's only just stirring now at 8am. Now I don't know how I'm going to get all her feeds for the day in!! She takes 6oz bottles but doesn't always finish those so don't think giving her bigger bottles would work. She feeds roughly every 3 hours so should I make them 2.5 hours? Also is it ok for her to sleep this long without a feed?? God, wish I'd never buggered up the routine now!!! :wall2:

I know how you feel helly, you are torn between going by her lead and the routine. I would love to let her sleep like that but then I wouldn't know where I was in the day. I like it when her behaviour is predictable.

I guess it's up to you, are you ok going with the flow?

You could try and get her back on track and see how that goes, maybe shorten the time between feeds but then you run the risk of her not taking a full bottle.

Sorry I've not been much help there have I?

You might be pleasantly surprised and she might have settled into a natural routine now?

I feel exactly the same chick, don't know what to do for the best really. I'm going to try putting him down at 8 and waking him at 6am for a feed for a few days and see how we get on. If he doesn't like being woken up I'll leave him to wake naturally.

Good luck, let me know how you get on xxxxxxxxx

I'm exactly in the same boat, I upped the volume of milk for 1 day but colic was bad again, also HV said 4 hrs between feeds not 3 so that's even less. I'm feeding every 3 to 3 1/2 hrs just got get calories in as I can't up the volume per bottle yet. Lo gone from 7-8 6oz bottles to 5x6oz bottles. She's lost her big tummy but still plump everywhere else and she's so tall I hope shes getting enough food. That said she's never been happier so will continue to take cues from her, so thankful she's getting some sleep now xx

Last edited:
I'd say if they don't wake for a feed then they're not hungry. I follow Max's lead, he usually wakes at 6am for a feed but sunday night he went 9pm-9am without one. I think its normal for them to go 12 hrs without a feed as that's the final aim- children and adults don't feed in the night so it must have to stop at some point?

Xxx

Thanks ladies - glad to see it isn't just me!! Going to try feeding every 2.5 hours instead. She also only wanted 5 oz from her 6 oz feed at 8.30 so we are already a bit behind, and as for naps I think we'll just have to wing it!! Trouble is when I go back to work she won't be able to lie in til 9.30 so do I try and get a work morning routine going now or later??! God this mummy thing is hard work!!!

if hannah wakes at a different time to i am expecting...i just try to make sure that it fits that she has a bottle at 4pm and then one after her bath....then it doesnt knock her routine too much. so her breakfast bottle can vary from 7:30 - 9am ish....i then try to give her one around 11:30-12 again depending on what time she had the first and then as near to 4 as possible...

we have well and truly hit the 4 month sleep thing now though, she was awake every hour last night from 12:30 x

I also think that if they are hungry they will wake, i never wake Sofia for a feed, she still only takes 3/4 oz though around every three hours x

Thanks ladies - glad to see it isn't just me!! Going to try feeding every 2.5 hours instead. She also only wanted 5 oz from her 6 oz feed at 8.30 so we are already a bit behind, and as for naps I think we'll just have to wing it!! Trouble is when I go back to work she won't be able to lie in til 9.30 so do I try and get a work morning routine going now or later??! God this mummy thing is hard work!!!

When my sister went back to work after having her boys she would drop them off at mum's in their pj's still asleep lol. Are family going to be looking after her or a nursery?

Hi, not sure how valuable my advice will be since I am not bottlefeeding myself (so sorry if it's crap!), but might it be worth considering using that milk for hungrier babies rather than feeding more often and thus changing the routine even more? Just a thought...

I personally wouldn't wake my baby up for a feed at that age but be happy that she's sleeping so well! (If only mine did, sigh...)

Well my girl is obviously cleverer than I thought as she has just screamed blue murder for her bottle only 2 hours after the last one so looks like she is self regulating her routine anyway.

I wish family were having her BB, selfish buggers insist on living abroad for 6 months of the year so can't commit. Currently on the hunt for a nursery or childminder for Jan.

Ah ok. It's a shame we aren't closer cos I could help you out. My OH has gone all Victorian on me and wants me to be a stay at home mum :shock:. I don't fecking think so lol, it means we would have to stay with the inlaws!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back