Sleeping alone....

Lou

Reaction score
Hi

My baby Isaac has out grown his moses basket already and I have no room in my bedroom for his cot bed so am going to have to put him in his nursery to sleep alone. I feel really anxious about doing this when he is so young and i'm considering sleeping on his bedroom floor just to be near him.

I would really appreciate your comments and thoughts on this subject and would like to know how you are handling your sleeping arrangements!

Lou

Outgrown it already? I was hoping rubie would be in it for 6 months! better start re planning hadnt I!

I don't think you are wrong to feel anxious - the current advice is for babies to sleep in the same room as parents until six months if possible - but will you get enough rest sleeping on the floor? Could you set up a temporary bed there?

i personaly wouldnt have Coby in a diffrent room to be untill he was between 6 months to a year old, depending on how well he slept.

you hear so many things now a days that i wouldnt get a wink of sleep unless i could hear him breathing next to me.

everyone is difffrent tho so you have to do what you think is best for both of you.

hi i had B in his own room from day one it is right next to my room,
cant believe he has grown out of it already how long is he lol - i thought B was out of it early at 3 months lol

Hi Kim

I know what you mean! I thought Isaac would be in it a bit longer myself. He is only 10lb 7oz but he is really strong and he pushes himself off the bottom and his head reaches the top. He also likes to sleep with both arms above his head and he hasnt got the room to do this anymore. Oh and my cat thinks the basket is her new scratching post and she has nearly had the whole thing over more than once! Its not a crappy moses basket either, its from boots. I spoke to my friend tonight who has twins and she said I could try buying a craddle but its seems a bit of a waste of time if he will out grow that in a matter of weeks. She was surprised Isaac was too big for his moses aswell, she said it should last him till he is at least 4 months old. (He was almost 2 weeks overdue when I had him so technically he should be a bit older than he is if you know what I mean.) :)

Lou

Hi thanks for your replies.

I dont know what I'm going to do? There is no room for a temporary bed in Isaac's room, its the back box bedroom and is tiny. If I had a camp bed or something similar I would worry about tripping over it in the night. I've also got a bad back since Isaac's birth, not sure if its from the epidural or what, but I'm not sure how I'll cope sleeping on the floor? might do it good? :) His cot bed is pretty big so i can't even put it in the living room just for now either.

My bedroom is literally just next door to Isaac's room so I could hear him if he stirred but I just know I'll be jumping up every 2 minutes to check he is breathing.

what a pain!

Oh and I'm not sure how long he is lol He is really strong though and he kicks and struggles to get the covers off of him. He hates covers!

what about putting baby monitors in the room with him and have it right next to your head in bed?

i know hes only in the next room but having the monitor might reasure you a bit more?

Personal again really. Think you have to do what you are happy with.

Aidan has grown out of his moses basket too (he now is 13lb) so he is going to move into his cot which fortunately for us is in our bedroom. Personally I have had all my babies (Aidan is number 6) with me until they are at least a year old, but that is personal preference. Many Mums put their babies in their own room straight away.

Do what you feel most comfortable with Lou.

Ragna xxxxxxxxxxxx

layla said:
what about putting baby monitors in the room with him and have it right next to your head in bed?

i know hes only in the next room but having the monitor might reasure you a bit more?

Yeah Layla I use a monitor already so I can get on with my housework in the daytime. When he is next to me in the night I sometimes hold his foot or his hand and I'm used to just raising my head and looking at him to make sure he is ok. Theres no way I'm going to be able to sleep in a different room is there lol

Looks like its the floor for me!

Thanks ragna.

The stupid thing is that when we bought our house we made our bedroom smaller so that we could put in a staircase to the loft which we have converted so Isaac can have a playroom / bedroom up there when he is older! The staircase to the loft is a spiral one so its not safe for me and Isaac to sleep up there and try and navigate the stairs. Thats the reason I havent been on the forum for ages because my pc is in the loft and I couldnt get up the stairs when I was heavily pregnant!

Lou

Ewan was in his own room from 2 weeks of age - as every little snuffle woke me or my hubby up - and we were getting NO sleep, Ewan has been fine and i often wake just before he makes it know he needs a feed. his romm is near enough to hear him. i dont use a baby monitor as i emmited a high pitched but quiet whine..vvvv irritating

Hiya,
Apart from the 1st 2 nights Jessica was in her own room. I had the monitor in the cot and beside my bed and found this to work. I couldnt sleep at all with Jess in the room and to be honest when Jess woke I heard her straight away.

It will be hard for you but If I were you I wouldnt sleep on the floor of her room, thats no use for you pet, you need your sleep.

As for the covers, what about a grobag?

Laura.

lauramum01 said:
Hiya,
Apart from the 1st 2 nights Jessica was in her own room. I had the monitor in the cot and beside my bed and found this to work. I couldnt sleep at all with Jess in the room and to be honest when Jess woke I heard her straight away.

It will be hard for you but If I were you I wouldnt sleep on the floor of her room, thats no use for you pet, you need your sleep.

As for the covers, what about a grobag?

Laura.

Hi

I hadn't thought of a grobag. good idea.

Lou :)

Hey

Isaac had his first night in his cot last night and he loved it! He woke up for his 4am feed no probs and went straight back down no probs. This morning he woke up smiling and laughing. Look....

i128-01-06_09-22-16.jpg

And he had turned him self sideways! He is such a strong little bugger :)

And yes....I slept on the floor but after sleeping on the sofa for the last few weeks with Isaac and the last few weeks of my pregnancy believe me the floor was lovely ;)

Lou

Aw, what a happy wee soul. He is really smiley. I feel like that after a good sleep.

This is exactly why I got a rocking crib instead of a moses basket.. they out-grow them so quickly! :(

urchin said:
This is exactly why I got a rocking crib instead of a moses basket.. they out-grow them so quickly! :(

yeah in hind sight I would have gone for the crib aswell. Moses baskets are a waste of money and space for the amount of use you get out of them.

Nobody warned me though. A bit like nobody telling me to put stretch mark cream on my bum cheeks and now they look like a tiger has been at them lol

Lou :)

Awwwww Lou

Aidan is going to spend his first night in his Cot tonight....Hope it will be as successful for me !!! Although the cot is over the side of the room we can move it next to the bed so Mrs Paranoid Mother is happier lol.

Another milestone...sigh.

Ragna xxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back