Cot bumpers

Sylvie

Reaction score
Louis is still sleeping in his Moses basket next to our bed but we're going to have to move him into his cotbed in his bedroom (our bedroom is too small) by the end of the month. I never thought of buying any cot bumpers but now I wonder if I should get some :?
Are you using a cot bumper for your LO? Is it really useful?

Not got one, not going to get one. I don't like them and think they are a waste of money.

Once baby is able to move himself round the cot they are not advised anyways. Then its advised to remove them.

FWIW recent research says there are no 'adverse nor beneficial effects. Consequently, the Foundation for the Study of Infant Death and the Department of Health neither promote nor discourage the use of bumpers.'

i use 2 only cheap ones because thomas gets his hands in between the bars all the time :( so i use 2 and i find they cover most of the bars
xx

I woudn't bother tbh. Kaira has taken to lifting the cot bumper up sticking her head under it then getting upset when she bangs her head on the cot bars :wall: :wall:

drea b said:
I woudn't bother tbh. Kaira has taken to lifting the cot bumper up sticking her head under it then getting upset when she bangs her head on the cot bars :wall: :wall:

Alex does this too!

I have taken his bumpers off today.. I have lowered his mattress in his cot now hes bigger and the bumpers dont fit properly anyway!
They look very pretty but in my opinion dont do anything practical!

IMO It depends on whether you have a baby that thinks the cot is a circus (as my Jacob does). At times, he insists on lying vertically in it, as opposed to horizontally and he was starting to bump his head on the cot bars and get his legs stuck in between them too.

I bought a cot bumper that goes all the way around the cot. Its firmly attached, so cant come off or be lifted up by him. Since I put the bumper in, we've had no bumpy head/ stuck leg incidents.

I also like the look of them as his one matches all the other stuff in his nursery (Blue Jean Teddy theme).

Got mine off ebay..cost about £8.

The only downside of my one is that I cant see him from another room through the cot bars (and vice versa). But overall, Im glad we have one. When he's a bit older it will come off of course.

II don't like them but finlay kept getting his arms and legs stuck between the bars as he likes to swivel round and fidget in his sleep

I took the matress out, put them on and then put the matress back in to ensure that he couldn't get under them ;) No problems so far

Thanks for your answers :wave:
It seems that it depends a lot on baby's movements during the night so I'll wait for a little bit longer to be sure I don't need them. So far Louis has always been very quiet in his sleep, he barelys moves during the night but he is still in his Moses basket, so we'll see when he gets into his cot :)

I didnt bother using one... Personally, cant see the point in them! :)

I've never used them for either of mine. When James was a baby it was said that they increased the risk of cot death though they seem to have changed their mind on this.
They are just a pricey decoration IMO.

minxie said:
IMO It depends on whether you have a baby that thinks the cot is a circus (as my Jacob does). At times, he insists on lying vertically in it, as opposed to horizontally and he was starting to bump his head on the cot bars and get his legs stuck in between them too.

Well, after two nights spent in his cotbed Louis is doing exactly the same :wink:
He wasn't moving at all in his Moses basket probably because he couldn't... even though he wasn't moaning about it...
I think I'm going to have to buy some bumpers by the end of the week :wall:

Baby goes at one end of the bed and the bumpers at the other so I don't see the point. She used to move around a bit but now she's in sleeping bags she stays where she was put :)

IIRC you can only use them until they can start to pull themselves up (or they can stand on them and stuff) so you wouldn't get much use out of one.

I got one but im not sure why as i took it off when ryan started sleeping in his cot and it was so annoying!!!! and i really didnt see any point in them at all. i mean what are the supposed to do?? lol the baby sleeps at the bottom of the cot anyway

We were advised at our Antenatal classes not to get them as they can affect the air flow around the crib/cot/bed etc etc..

I've never had one, never needed one!

Although I always find it amusing when I collect Lewis from his crib and he's grinning up at me whilst trying to place a foot between the bars!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back