Sleeping Positions

First Baby White

Reaction score
Happy easter everyone!!!

Just a quick question, Am i ok to still sleep on my tummy at 23 weeks pregnant, I find it most comfortable and I dont put all my weight on my tummy. I lie with one leg bent up at my side which kind of tilts me directly off my belly.

Also when are you supposed to stop sleeping on your back as I wake up in this positionb quite regularly??

Sleeping on your back I'd stopped doing by about 20 weeks. Defo by 24. The weight presses down and cuts of circulation. I didn't think it was worth it especially as my placenta is at the rear and higher up.

As for sleeping on your tummy, I'm not sure. Chances are some women do. I found it too uncomfortable and opted to put a pillow under my bump to help support it and stop me squishing. As baby grew I found pressure on my bump painful. If you are sideways and tilting in and its comfy then :) As you grow you may need bump support under it anyways.

I invested in a long body pillow so as to be able to lean bump into it and put my leg over it for support. Helps when my hips ache also then.

Best position for circulation etc (for you and baby) is lying on your left side. If you tilt slightly inwards thats also good as you are still on your left side.

I cannot sleep in any other position but I now put a pillow under my bump and under one of my legs so that I am tilted. It is even more comfortable than on my stomach!

I also sleep in a side ways tilt on my belly with my leg up. I'm going to start using pillows soon as bump is getting bigger and can feel the weight of it needs some more support. :sleep: x

i often ake up on my back and will lie in bed like that. My pilates instructor (we have to spend quite bit of time on backs ther) said if you don't get breathless doing it it's ok cos it shows your circulation is ok (but double check with midwife cos he is in no way qualified).

I've got a 5ft pillow so i lie sort of front sort of tummy, some nights whatever is comfortable and lets me get to sleep!

Sandi

I sleep exactly the same way as you...on my tummy but leg tilted so not all the pressure is on the tummy...Before pregnancy I could only sleep on my tummy, find sleeping on my back makes me very restless....

I think you can sleep on your tummy for as long as its comfy for you as baby is protected by the amniotic fluid but believe me it does get impossible and baby will let you know if he/she doesnt like it :lol:

Here it says about sleeping on your back....

During the second half of pregnancy, avoid sleeping on your back, a position that puts the full weight of your uterus on your spine, back muscles, intestines, and the inferior vena cava (the vein that transports blood from your lower body to the heart). Back-sleeping can also put you at risk for backaches and hemorrhoids, inefficient digestion, and impaired breathing and circulation. Lying on your back in the second and third trimester can also cause changes in blood pressure. For some women, it can cause a drop in blood pressure that can make them feel dizzy; for others, it can cause an unwanted increase in blood pressure.

from here http://www.babycenter.com/404_whats-the ... cy_7608.bc

The best position is sleping on your left side, it even healps with heartburn I find :D

I've heard that you're not meant to sleep on your belly after 24 weeks, i personally slept however i could until it became uncomfotable.
I cant sleep on my belly or lie on it anymore, but if it wasnt uncomfortable i would, i feel like she lets me know when i shouldnt be doing it, cos it hurts, i also cant lie on my back flat cos i feel awful, again i think thats just her way of saying i shoudlnt do it,
Just like after i had a glass or two of wine i felt like crap the next day, i couldnt have been hungover but i guess she was telling mummy not to drink!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back