Siblings.

Bethi

Reaction score
My daughter is 5. She will have just turned 6 when baby is born.
My DD has been desperately nagging for a brother/sister for the last 2.5 years.
She hopes, prays and wishes for a sibling constantly. She is a gentle, caring little girl who is great with babies and toddlers. I'm thrilled to be finally giving her a bro/sis.

I am now 18w. I still haven't told DD. Two main reasons: firstly I want to check all is well at the 20w scan. Secondly, she will be soooooo excited, she will almost burst, and 9m is a VERY long time for an excited five-year-old to wait.

I am dying to tell her though. It's taking every bit of strength I have to keep my mouth shut. Two more weeks to go...feels like a lifetime.

ANYWAY, my question is, when did you tell your little ones that there will be an addition to the family? How did they take it? Did you tell them in any sory of special way? I'm so excited to tell DD, it will probably be an anti-climax now, haha.

I have no helpful advice other than to agree that 9 months is a long time for a LOto wait. My cousin told her 3 year old a few weeks in due to being really poorly. By the time she got to about 25 weeks her LO told her to can el the brother because she was fed up of waiting for him lol. Your LO sounds like she'll be a brill big sister x

ANYWAY, my question is, when did you tell your little ones that there will be an addition to the family? How did they take it? Did you tell them in any sory of special way? I'm so excited to tell DD, it will probably be an anti-climax now, haha.

I told my DD when I was 8 weeks as she kept asking why i was unwell. She was very excited and kept asking for a sister and when we found out it was a girl she was very happy...talking about playing dolls and barbies...think she might have to wait a while lol x x x

We told h straight away but he is only a baby so doesn't really understand! We told him he was a very special boy so is going to be getting a baby, we got him a doll too.
Xxx

I told my boys after the 12 week scan as I have been so porly and I think my oldest have been a bit worried why I have been so sick for so long. They are 4 and 2 so they where really excited for 2 minutes and then kind of forgot about it.

My DD hasn't suspected a thing - I've had no sickness or anything.
It's bloody hard keeping quiet, especially when she continues to ask for a baby sister :)

I waited till 17 weeks last time due to extra testing etc, but couldnt hide it that long this time and told them at 12 weeks. Mine are older tho, 14,12,11 and 2

I would just get your scan out if the way and tell her, 20 weeks is a good length of time for you to go baby shopping together and prepare for baby, get her involved , she will be able to see your tum grow rather than baby just arrive. At 5 she could stilk have issues with attention after baby arrives and time helps with that too.

My daughter was 9 at the birth of my little son and she was so involved and helpful and still is, your daughter will love the whole process

Yes, I do worry about how she'll adjust. Being an only child for 6 years (and I never dreamed I'd be lucky enough to have another....this baby has been a long wat), she has been very much idolised and adored by all. Not that she's a spoilt brat, but that she has been the sole focus.

She is desperate for a baby brother or sister, but the reality may be very different to her imaginings!! I have a feelng she'll be great, but we'll have to tread carefully. I hadn't even thought about shopping with her...what fun!! Can't wait x

My o/h has 3 other kids aged 13, 11 and 8 and we told them after the 12 week scan as we didn't like keeping it from them. They are really excited and it's nice that we can involve them now.x

Yeah, I do feel a little bad for fibbing to DD.
And your OH's children are older, so can understand better about the length of time needed to grow a baby, haha. They're at a great age to be such a help to you x

My lb was 18 minths when I got pg with g and we told him straight away..... just felt right and we wanted to make sure we got him used to the idea before g arrived so he didnt feel pushed out. He chose baby clothes with us toys etc right from the getgo.....it was our little secret but he was only young anyway so didnt matter too much.....if we have another id do the same again x

I told my 4 year old as soon as we found out, all he said was 'make sure it is a girl seed mummy'. I had my 20 week scan on Tuesday and found we were team blue so he was a bit disapointed but has now started suggesting names. TBH he is just more excited as he is getting the new big bedroom which we are doing for him at the end of the month but is a little concerned as he says babies just cry until they are big boys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back