Should I replace a bottle with a meal?

Lynds77

Reaction score
When Freya is well, she takes roughly the following bottles

7am - 8oz
11am - 6-7
3pm - 6
7pm - 6-7oz

now that isnt a lot of milk for a nearly 7mnth old baby.

I have been giving her veggies at 12pm, and a fromage frais around 5pm.

I tried giving her some dinner at 5pm instead of just the fromage frais, but she only takes 4oz from her bedtime bottle then.

so to progress with the weaning (which will help her reflux) I thought about doing the following

7am - 8oz
9am - bowl porridge (ellas, made with 2oz baby milk)
11am - offer 8oz bottle (would prob only take 6oz)
1pm - lunch, fruit or some veggies
4pm - Dinner of veggies etc
7pm - offer 8oz bottle (prob take 6oz again)

this would get us up to 3 meals a day?

or should I just carry on as is, giving her lunch only and hope her appetite increases? should it increase?

its just the more food she eats, the less milk she wants. And she doesnt have a lot of milk as it is. On bad days it can be as little as 9oz.

what do you think? I just feel we are getting nowhere fast with the weaning

I'm no expert, but I think when my 20 month old was this old I'm sure he just had three 6/7oz bottles a day, and I used to really struggle to get him to take the midday one - I'm no help really :( hope someone else comes along soon xx

:) Tapatalking :)

My LO at 7 months dropped a day bottle and just wanted 3 meals. He's been in the same routine since just before 7months

7am - 8oz
8.30 - breakfast
12 - lunch
3pm - bottle 6oz max usually
5pm dinner
7.30 8oz bottle

Now he's 8.5 months I offer him a morning and afternoon snack. I'm hoping by 10months to drop the afternoon bottle xx

thanks Lolly. Your LO doesnt take that much milk either huh.

she has thrown me again cause this morning at 7am she only took 2oz, then at 11am she took 8oz and a whole pot of veggies. She was due a bottle at 3pm but is still sleeping.

one day we will find a routine!

No he's never really been overly fond of milk. Iv gave up worrying about it now. He very rarely takes a full 8oz bottle.
I'm pretty happy with the variety of food he's having in his diet, so I can't do anymore :) xx

When Freya is well, she takes roughly the following bottles

7am - 8oz
11am - 6-7
3pm - 6
7pm - 6-7oz

now that isnt a lot of milk for a nearly 7mnth old baby.

I have been giving her veggies at 12pm, and a fromage frais around 5pm.

I tried giving her some dinner at 5pm instead of just the fromage frais, but she only takes 4oz from her bedtime bottle then.

so to progress with the weaning (which will help her reflux) I thought about doing the following

7am - 8oz
9am - bowl porridge (ellas, made with 2oz baby milk)
11am - offer 8oz bottle (would prob only take 6oz)
1pm - lunch, fruit or some veggies
4pm - Dinner of veggies etc
7pm - offer 8oz bottle (prob take 6oz again)

this would get us up to 3 meals a day?

or should I just carry on as is, giving her lunch only and hope her appetite increases? should it increase?

its just the more food she eats, the less milk she wants. And she doesnt have a lot of milk as it is. On bad days it can be as little as 9oz.

what do you think? I just feel we are getting nowhere fast with the weaning

That's exactly the routine we have and we used to do a 4pm bottle then food but my hv advised I dropped that one so she ate more to satisfy her through the night. She prob will drop her milk a little too. I don't think we dropped milk until after 6 months tho xxx

Our routine at the moment it

0700 is 6oz bottle
0830 porridge and toast with fruit/pancakes & fruit/crumpets
1100 5oz bottle
1230-1300 home made something unless we are out & organic puffs & water
1530 5oz bottle
1730 home made something and biscotti or fruit
1900 5oz night time bottle

I could maybe drop a feed but he's not showing any signs of letting them go! He was on 7oz bottles but it meant he wasn't interested in food so I find reducing the amount but offering through the days is working and he's a healthy weight.
I find it confusing! X

Last edited:
I had to drop Aaron's 4pm bottle because he wasn't taking his bedtime bottle.

But he was taking 4 oz of food (meat, potato and veg) and 2oz of fruit twice a day and a weetabix at breakfast

Please excuse any typos from my fat fingers!
Tapatalk madness!

I might try reducing her feeds. Its so hard though cause she has refused every bottle today since she took 6oz at 1230.

I might try giving her 8oz breakfast (just to start the day off with a decent amount of milk, in case it goes downhill from there)
then breakfast around 9
6oz bottle at 11
lunch at 12
6oz bottle at 3
then offer 8oz at bedtime at 7

if I give her anything after 3 she wont take her bottle at 7. Mind you i could always try giving her fruit at 4pm and try getting her to stay up later till 8pm.

think I need to call my health visitor and get some help. She isnt eating and isnt sleeping properly. I dont think anything is particularly wrong with her, but I am really running out of idea on what to do.

i think I am really struggling just now cause I am so so tired.

but asides from all this, i have a very happy and content little baby! she just beams and laughs at everyone and is so full of energy. i just so wish she would eat properly and sleep through the night!

I would personally cut her milk to 3 bottles move her lunch to 11.30 bottle at 2 dinner at 4.30 bottle at 7
At 7 m she dozen need 4 bottles and she needs to go forward with solids. I know that she dosent drink enough milk but you may find out that having 3 bottles she will take more than actually having 4 bottles. Also once she has appetite for solids you can try to give a yogurt too that also counts for her daily calcium. Stop thinking straight in how many oz she has. The whole point is o get bough calcium if that's from cheese and yogurt etc then that's it. Everything else that formula contains he can get from solids just fine.
I doubt she can be hungry for 2 never mind 3 solid meals per day with 4 bottles?

Here is what Amelie has bottle 6 oz at 7,
Breakfast at 8 (BLW)
Lunch at 12 protein and vegetables and fruit
Bottle at 2.30 6 oz
Dinner at 5.00 egg and a yogurt or porridge and a yogurt
Bottle at 7 6 oz

You should space her meals so she is hungry for solids.
I have a gap of 4 h between breakfast and lunch believe me she demolishes everything at lunch and she is still hungry/thirsty for some milk at 2.30

It's really not the end of the world if she dosent have 20 oz.
Amelie has 15-20 and a yogurt and cheese sometimes or porridge that's also with milk or some milk in her cup or a milk shake.

Here is what exactly she ate yesterday

7.20. 5 oz milk

8.30 1/2 banana muffin and 2 oz cow cold milk

12 a pot of 3 oz homemade chicken with various vegetables and olive oil and a slice of toast, 1/2 pot of fruit yogurt and 3-4 grapes

2.15 4 oz milk

5:00 egg with soldiers to dip in (runny eggs allowed before 1 in Norway), some bits and pieces from my pizza dinner so some bread with cheese and tomato, a couple of mushrooms, olives, peppers and 3 slices of orange

7:00 6 oz of milk

That's 15 oz of formula, 2 of cow milk, half of yogurt and some cheese.

I will be damned if I get that much calcium per day lol.

Thanks Hope, thats really helpful.

I have done something quite similar today although cut out dairy, cause i think its causing her to have nappy explosions. Am just giving her 2 days with no dairy and then a day with loads of dairy to see what happens.

today she had

7am - 8oz
9am - small bowl of porridge made with 1oz formula
11am - 6oz - was crying for more so gave her chicken and veg puree with a little apple puree through it (all home made). She only took around the tip of 4 tea spoons
12pm - quarter of a fruit pot
3pm - 6oz bottle (threw most of that up) so gave her some more fruit pot
will give her nothing now until 7pm when I hope she will have her bedtime bottle.

if I work her up like this, I am hoping to get a proper dinner in there around 4pm before he last nap.

dropping the milk offered really seems to be helping. But of course it does, cause she is hungry!

i am also giving her smaller food portions. i think i was just giving her too much before and she was filling up too much and then refusing milk.

fingers crossed we have cracked it!! x

We do similar with Aaron

His routine is like this

6am - 7oz EBM
11am - 7oz EBM
12-1 Lunch - 4oz homemade protein, carbs & veg with hidden cheese and milk, 2oz fruit puree
4pm - Dinner (As above)
7pm 7oz EBM

He takes more milk having 3 x 7oz bottles than he would being offered 4 bottles!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back