Shell's TTC Diary - *IVF/ICSI* - BFP!!!!

shellbham

Reaction score
Hi :wave:

I hope its ok to do this. I really enjoy reading Little Reds diary and i used to keep up to date with G3M's. I think they are great to read and it can also be reassuring to see what everyone else is going through. Also i dont see many posts about MF infertility, which is something that i always have looked out for. I cant be the only one!! TTC has been a bit of a rollercoaster for me & DH and sometimes i do feel that i have no one to talk to about it, so i'm hoping that this will help me as well as hopefully being informative for others in a similar situation.

A bit about us and our story so far (i'll try to keep it short & wont go into too much detail!).......................

I'm almost 28 and my DH is 27. We've been together for 8 1/2 years and got married in May 2006. We started ttc at the start of '06, so 19 months so far. I have always had irregular periods, so we thought it would be difficult to have a baby anyway. My longest cycle has been 6 months.....so we didn't expect anything to happen quickly. I went to my GP as soon as we decided to ttc to see if he could find out the cause of my irregular AF. He sent me for tests - blood tests showed a possibility of PCOS but ultrasound showed no cysts. So was told there was nothing wrong with me and to try for a year. In Feb 07 i went back to the hospital, who did a HSG (again everything fine, no blockages etc) and more blood tests, we were also refered to the fertility clinic. DH had SA, and at the point our story goes down hill!! We were not expecting the outcome of the SA at all. We had always assumed that it was me stopping us from falling pregnant. His tests showed a very low sperm count and we were told to wait 3 months and then do another one. We were impatient and paid for a private SA a few weeks later. We were given hope, his count was 44 million and even though there was a high number of abnormal forms we were so pleased. 2 tests later and his count is low again and he has issues with motility and morphology too. :wall: There's no explanation for it, its just one of those things. Its still possible for us to have a baby but with my sporadic ovulation our chances are slim to none! ICSI is our only option, but i'm worried about IVF. The doctor cant be 100% sure whether i do or dont have PCOS, he said that because i keep my weight down the cysts may not be showing on the scan but my blood tests indicate it slightly. I'm more confused than when we started!! He wont do anything to treat me because he said there's no point, so i've started taking agnus castus to hopefully regulate me. If it does then i'd like to try naturally again for a few months before we resort to more serious measures. So far i've been taking it for 2 weeks and after 100+ days of waiting, i have ovulated! I dont know whether its the agnus or just coincidence, but its a miracle! :cheer:

On the IVF front we are waiting for an appointment to come through at a local private clinic. They received our referral letter a week ago so it shouldn't be too long now.

OMG....i cant believe how much i've wrote when i said i would keep it short!!

Again i hope no one minds me doing this.

Speak to you soon,

Michelle x

Great idea, i love reading these too. congrats on ovulating :hug: :dance:

A lovely idea.. i think i'm going to be hooked on your diary.

Awww.......thank you both. :hug: You've made me feel a lot better! I was really worried after i'd done the 1st post, about whether it was the right thing to do.

MicheLou - I'll try to keep it as intresting as possible for you......but i do have a habit of waffling too much!! :oops:

Hope to speak to you soon,

Michelle x

Hey Michelle :wave:
Great idea, I will pop back regularly to have a read. I used to be hooked of Helens IVF diary!
Congrats on your ovulation :cheer:
Jox

Hi Jo

Thanks for you message. :hug:
I've just done a search for the diary you mentioned so i'm going to sit and read through it now! It will give me a better idea of what to expect as no matter how much information you get about IVF its not the same as reading about the thoughts and feelings of someone who has actually been through it. Thank you, i cant wait to read her story.....even better as i saw the ticker showing she has had twins! :cheer: I love happy endings!

Michelle x

PS. Your little boy is sooo cute!

Dont be sorry i may be up the duff but i love reading TTC diaries and it reminds me just how hard TTC is for some people and I guess i take it for granted because i fell preg easily with both of mine. But these diaries certainly opened my mind/

Congrats on ovulationg andI hope your hubbys sperm count picks up soon

I think it's a great idea. There could be people with similar problems lurking on this board and your diary could really help them :hug: :hug: As for me, I'm just nosey :D

shellbham said:
Hi Jo

Thanks for you message. :hug:
I've just done a search for the diary you mentioned so i'm going to sit and read through it now! It will give me a better idea of what to expect as no matter how much information you get about IVF its not the same as reading about the thoughts and feelings of someone who has actually been through it. Thank you, i cant wait to read her story.....even better as i saw the ticker showing she has had twins! :cheer: I love happy endings!

Michelle x

PS. Your little boy is sooo cute!

Thank you hun, I think he's so gorgeous I could eat him!! :lol:

So gald you found Helen's diary, it's such a roller coaster of emotions and I couldn't stop reading it and what a fantastic ending for them both :hug:
My brother and his OH are kind of going through the same thing, so it will help me to read your diary. I'm trying so hard to be there and support them both. They have just had their 3rd unsuccessful IUI attempt and are looking into IVF now. I never had any treatment myself, but it took me nearly 2 and a half years to fall with Dan so to a point I can understand the frustration and dissapointment with each passing month.
Good luck hun, fingers crossed we have another happy ending on the cards!
Jox

I'm looking forward to reading your diary.

we too are MF infertility. just waiting for my DH to have an operation to see if they can improve his pretty much non-existent count, but I'm not holding my breath.

If they can't then we're looking at at least an 18 month wait for NHS IVF with ICSI......sometimes the thought of that just depresses me so much.

We have an appointment with a fertility consultant on the 12th September to assess our situation.

Goodluck

Hi chelliboo,

Thank you for posting.....its nice to hear from someone going through the same thing. :hug:

When does your DH have his operation? I hope it goes well. The doctors have not looked into any reasons behing my DH's low count, they seem to think that there is no particular reason why he has this problem...its just one of those things.

The whole IVF thing depresses me, i never thought that we would ever be going through any of this. Its such a cruel world. I try not to think about it too much as i think i would just end up crying!! :(

I hope the operation goes well and that you get a BFP without the need for IVF. :pray: It would be lovely to keep in touch, so if you ever need to talk then i'm always around. Sometimes he helps to speak to people who have the same problems as you.

Michelle x

Day 106 - 6DPO

Hi Everyone,

Well, as you can see i am now 6DPO. No symptoms to report, which at 6dpo would probably be unlikely anyway. I have had a bloated stomach every night for the past 3 nights and its driving me mad. Its so painful. During the day it feels like i have stitch to the left of my stomach, and there's this tightness and pulling feeling when i move. Then on the night my stomach bloats up huge!! So far tonight it hasn't.

I have booked a holiday with my mom. We are going to bulgaria in 2 weeks. I have no idea what its like there but have heard really good things about it. The hotel looks lovely, and i'm just glad to be getting away from this awful rain!! I cant wait. :cheer:

Its DH's birthday tomorrow so i'm cooking him a nice meal and baking a cake for him......i might post pictures in the food thread in off topic if it works out ok!! Its a shame i cant give him a BFP for his birthday, that would have beat any cake!

Michelle x

Hi Michelle

I've been to Bulgaria - granted it was in the winter as we went for a snowboarding holiday, but it is a lovely area I'm sure you'll have great time.

Hope your DH had a nice birthday.

My DH's operation is on 20th August, and I'm really scared that something will go wrong and his count will get worse and not better, or he'll have a bad reaction to the anaesthetic.....I'm a worrier! I think the reason they have looked into his low count is due to his history, but I would've expected some sort of investigation even if he didn't have the history he does...how low was your DHs count, have they not even done bloodtests on him? perhaps when you get your appointment with the fertility clinic they will be able to tell you more. We did end up paying to see a urologist privately as we were bored waiting for the referral our GP sent to come through, only cost £150, so maybe thats something you might consider as well.

Definately would be good to stay in touch, nice to find someone with similar problems on here.

take care xxxx

Hi Chelliboo

My Dh has had 4 tests, the count was 1.3mill, 44mill, 1.8mill & 4.4mill. The 1st & 3rd results were NHS and the other 2 were done at a private clinic. The 2nd one was almost normal as count was ok, motility was just about ok but the % of normal forms was low. :wall: The other 3 were pretty bad in most areas i think. They did blood tests to check chromosomes and hormones but thats all. Should we have pushed for more?? We asked the consultant if he had any idea why it was so low but he said it just happens!

I'm a worrier too. I think thats why i keep putting off starting IVF. I'm worried about all the drugs, the side effects, having to inject :shock: . I'm worried about if it doesn't work or if something goes wrong. I'm also nervous about it working and then miscarrying as i've read the chances of miscarriage are higher. I worry about everything!!! We probably would have been well into our first cycle by now if it wasn't for me!

I really hope the operation goes well. Its 2 days after my birthday so the date will be stuck in my head now. I'll keep my fingers crossed on the 20th!

Michelle x

Day 112 - 9DPO

Sorry i haven't posted for a couple of days. To be honest i haven't had much to write and i didn't want to annoy people by posting for the sake of it.

I have a confession...................

I tested......at 7dpo..........what an idiot!!! :wall: I knew it was pointless but it was DH's birthday and i thought its a small chance that a test would work but how great would it be if it did??!! Well it didn't. I'm putting it down to being too early rather than a BFN. :oops:

So i've now decided to wait for AF is due to arrive before i even think about using another test.

I have pigged out over the weekend on the cake i made for DH, so i'm now dreading weight watchers!

May start symptom spotting soon....just to pass the time!!

Michelle x

skairdykat said:
Loving the diary hun.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

What is a normal sperm count then?

Hi

Should be above 20 million......but 20-40 million is still classed as borderline low.

x

Thanks Michelle,

it sounds to me like you've had a pretty thorough investigation other than an ultrasound to check for blockages.

Literally all we've had is one sperm test done NHS with count being "too few to count", urologist then did a physical exam and confirmed that there was a lump there that DH had pointed out to him, then were told they would operate. He's had no blood tests or an ultrasound (just a grope by the consultant!) so i think you should be Ok with what has been done, and like they say sometimes thats just the way things are.

Don't feel silly for testing so early, even though we didn't BD at the right time at all this month and with DHs abismal count it would take a miracle and accurate timing i still keep thinking there is a possibility and am convincing myself that my breasts are bigger than usual this month! Ah, being so delusional is fun sometimes!

I'm hoping that if we still need IVF post-op then we might manage to start treatment privately early next year.

xxxxx

Hi Chelliboo,

I'm really suprised that he has only done one test, our doctor said that they never go by the results of one test as a man with a normal sperm count could still have a low result some times. Also the first thing he did was ask for blood tests to be done. Apparantly there are certain conditions that can cause low sperm count. I cant remember what they checked for exactly but one of them was cystic fibrosis. Also there is klinefelters syndrome which can cause very little or no sperm which is why they checked his chromosomes. It really worried me when they mentioned some of the things and we had to wait ages for the results.

As there is no reason for the low count i keep hoping that really its ok and that maybe its stress related or something. DH left his job at the end of last year and started his own company so he has been working very long hours and doesn't really take care of himself, well being wise. Also he has to do a lot of travelling and sits down a lot while at work, and i've read that this can cause overheating which can affect sperm quality. See i told you i'm a worrier!!! I obsess over everything!!

If AF arrives (still being hopeful!) then we are going to go ahead with the IVF, so i will be a couple of months ahead of you. Which will hopefully help you so you know a bit more of what to expect, I'll continue this diary for the IVF. Another lady i speak to is starting at the same clinic as me next week so i will get to do the same with her!! I hate not knowing whats going to happen so she's going to give me all the details!

Good luck, i hope to speak to you soon,

Michelle x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back