Severe anemia in third trimester... am I really the only one?

3bypassbabies

Reaction score
Has anyone had a blood transfusion WHILE pregnant? I am 29weeks and was admitted to receive two units of blood, some b12 and iron ivs this week after my routine glucose test revealed a hemoglobin concentration of only 5.4 g/dl . Apparently for a normal non chronically anemic person this should have been a deadly number.

After all that my hgb had only climbed to 6.2 so I am going back for 4 more iron treatments over the course of the next 6 days. I'm Also getting daily b12 shots.

This is my third baby since my gastric bypass 5 years ago (we HAD bypass to make babies after years ttc at 450lbs) and while my vitamins have been low each time I have always been able to maintain safe (albeit low) levels with just a rigorous oral supplement schedule.

I was blindsided by this. The nurses all ask "How could you miss it? How did you get out of bed?"

I have two rambunctious boys under the age of 3 and I'm in my third trimester. I was supposed to notice the symptoms of being "tired" and "lightheaded"?! That's every day.

Anyway, I'm feeling like an anomaly - neither my doctor or the 20 year veteran labor nurses have ever had to give a transfusion to a woman who's still pregnant and no one seems to know why its not helping or what to do after these 4 iron infusions. Since i always get preeclampsia (proteins and high bp) around week 32 I'm also wondering how this will effect that shoe when it drops.

Can anyone relate to any of this?! Am I really such an anomaly? I know even severe anemia is common in pregnant women....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back