Self settling

x_larlybelle_x

Reaction score
Really need to get Henry to start to do this but don't know where to start :(

I'm sick of rocking him to sleep every night. Tonight my back is killing :(

He had a bath at 8, boob & started to drift off so I have been rocking him recently as he falls into a deeper sleep quicker than if he feeds to sleep. & the little pickle is still awake!

I'm now in the bedroom with him in his crib trying to get him to self settle. He isn't whinging yet, just fidgeting a lot. I'd imagine it won't be long before he screams.

Starting to get fed up of bedtimes and getting myself stressed cos he won't sleep. Makes me wanna cry most nights when he refuses to go to sleep.

At my wits end & don't know what to tru next :(

Using tapatalk so can't see tickers :(

have you tried a slumber bear? they make a heart noise and light show on the ceiling.

no other advice really, harry has only started self settling a couple of days ago but we just stuck to a routine and put him to bed with slumber bear on and he feel asleep, i was amazed, maybe try just leaving him till he cries and go back soothe him and put in back down, keep going till he falls asleep!

sorry not much use, good luck i hope he does it soon for you!

I have slumber bear and light show but didnt help us so sorry, no advice here,.wanted to say i feel for you. Can he be over tired? When is his last nap before bed time?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

He woke from his last nap at half 5 but dream fed until 6:45 so didn't wake properly until then.

I have a tip, I used to wait in the bedroom till she fell.asleep, one night I left to get a drink, when I got back she was asleep, ever since then I've left the bedroom immediately after I put her down and she has self settled from 6 weeks practically every night, I think they can smell you there and it disturbs them. Worth a go :) Xx

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

I really want Emily to self settle too, but don't know where to start. At night she will usually settle with a dummy, but every time it comes out she cries and I have to go and replace it. :-(. Daytime naps are a bit hit and miss - sometimes she will settle with t he dummy, other times she just will not settle at all. The dummy is great when it works and when it stays in, but that's not an ideal solution. X

no matter how hard we tried S wouldn't self settle for at least the firs tfive months. tbh i enjoyed it because i love baby cuddles. As you can imagine though it was difficult to get her to SS, tbh it still is now sometimes!

S has a bath at 7 then i get her dressed on the bed and then turn the lights down, give her her bottle with a lullaby that plays on her baby alarm (We had a lightshow but she seemed to be more distracted by them) then we just sort of lay her down and wait for her to fall to sleep. Sometimes even know she just will not sleep. I had to keep lying her down tonight because she kept standing up. Sometimes it goes on for about an hour!

I don't really have a lot of advice, just wanted to say you are not alone!

we done it quite early on but basically just left her in the room with video monitor and let her fidget and give out then once it became very anoyed or a cry we would go give dummy, ant remember if u use one ? we wouldn't pick her up or anything just lil kiss and leave the room and repeat until she was asleep, only have to go up 1 or 2 times now if at all , id say u staying in the room might hinder if he is awake and knows ur there , it took us a few days to get used to letting her fidget up there on her own though, its prob harder on you than him so give it a itime till ur happy with leaving him

My lo seems to have fallen into self settling, I found out by accident when I only rocked her for 5 mins then needed the loo, put her in her cot and she'd fallen asleep. She's better at night doing this, once I get her relaxed either after a feed or doing bicycle legs after a tummy ache I put her down put on slumber bear music and she usually drops off, some nights quicker than others. Needs to be when she's tired but not crabby. Sometimes she doesn't half yabber to herself beforehand. She doesn't have a dummy but she has a muslin she likes to hold, I put a folded one lengthways under her head a) to catch dribbles and now b) for her to stroke xx

Last edited:
Personally I followed Tyler's lead as you know I started with naps and put him down for a whole gave it a time limit (if he wasn't screaming) the fed him off if he wouldn't go and eventually he's learnt to SS. I think the important thing is that the baby is given the opportunity to, and they will eventually get there in their own time. :) I'd stick to naps for now, conquer them and then start on nights.

I dont really understand what you do to get them to ss. H either drops off straight away or we rock him, we dont just leave him to it. When people say it took 10 mins what are they doing during that time? I think I pander to H too much but I just like to know he has gone to sleep happy (he is such a happy boy!!)
xxxx

Do you think it could be the start of the 4 month sleep regression? Kallie was so much more difficult to settle. I was feedind her to sleep and it would take three or four tries. The last few nights dh has been putting her to bed. First two did not go well, but last night she went right down. Fx it wasn't a coincidence! Hopefully it is just a stage for Henry! Xx

Well it took from 8:30-11:30 to eventually get him to sleep. Ended up feeding him to sleep which I haven't done in a couple of weeks.

Today I've decided to self settle bit by bit. He has just gone down for his morning nap after waking at 5:30. I cuddled him until he started to drift off, then put him down in his crib to fall asleep. It worked! Gonna do that for a couple of days & watch him to get his cues for starting to drift off & put him down then.

Bit by bit I will stop rocking him to sleep!

I used to have to stand by my lo's cot stroking his face until he dropped off. It would sometimes take 45 minutes to get him into a deep enough sleep for me to leave the room. One night I decided to give him a muslin to rub against his face, I left the room straight away and he dropped off to sleep. Every night since then he's had his muslin and dummy and he ss. There have been a handful of occasions where we've had to comfort him but they are few and far between. Have you tried giving him a muslin or something as a comforter?

QUOTEMrs N; When people say it took 10 mins what are they doing during that time? QUOTE

When I leave the room I she usually looks around for a bit, smiles, coo's and then her eyes begin to close then within 5 mins she is asleep, if I put her down and she cries I don't leave her, I pick her up immediately, simply because I know if she cries she still wants something, usually more milk. In that sense she is an easy baby, i dont believe in letting them cry to self.settle either x

I've left my 2 from the age of about 6 weeks to learn to self settle I never let then cry but extended the time I left them Thomas cracked it by 8 weeks and James about 9 I think now I just put him down every 2ish hours for a nap and he's off with in about 5 mins sometimes he takes about 20 mins at bed time and will chatter yo him self and kick his legs after that he will moan for his dummy I put it back and he will be gone with in minutes........however now Henry is 16 weeks I would start with naps like pinky and proceed from there xxx

xxx

H always drops off of his own accord in his pushchair (have to move him he would never just drop off) but never tried it really at night time. Maybe its worth giving it a go to see how he does?
xxxx

Hannah just took 30 mins to self settle but she was just cooing anf chatting away to her animals on her mobile...lol

if i put her down before she is overtired, she never cries. the only time we get tears is if she is overtired. she usually self settles anywhere between 2 - 15 mins. this morning was a long one but she was quite happy so i just left her to it.....

the only time i go back in is if she is upset or sounds like she going to be upset. i dont pick her up unless i know she is in pain or anything, like wind. i just say to her that its nap time or sleepies time and rest my hand on her....or maybe shhhh her gently. sometimes give her a dummy. but i try not to pick her up straight away.

i havent needed to go back in at all this morning, but i did last night....just the once though anf it was only cos she was struggling to take herself off and getting frustrated, but all i did was pop her dummy in and she turned her head and off she went...

if you try to stick to same routine and same time everynight, he will crack it...xx

H always drops off of his own accord in his pushchair (have to move him he would never just drop off) but never tried it really at night time. Maybe its worth giving it a go to see how he does?
xxxx

Anything is worth a shit hun, you won't know if you don't try :) x

Jesus my phone has an obsession with the word shit! Obv I meant shot :wall: lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members