Re-settling at night

x_larlybelle_x

Reaction score
How long do ur lo's take to re-settle of a night?

Henry takes an hour and a half to get back to sleep each time he wakes. I change his nappy then he feeds and I wind him if he needs it. I think most of it is for comfort but he won't take a dummy. He either falls asleep on the breast or just whinges and tires himself out.

Any hints or tips for getting him to settle quicker? He doesn't like to be swaddled when he is awake, won't take a dummy and if I unlatch him before he is properly asleep he screams.

Don't know really, except only nappy change if he poops.

If I change L's bum he'll be wide awake so I change him before he goes down for the night then unless he's poo'd or he's leaked its straight out the basket, laying down to feed in the bed, then he'll either fall asleep or we both will TOUCH WOOD!! Then back in the basket.

I don't swaddle as such he doesn't like it he's a finger sucker, but I wrap the blanket all the way round him and over the back of his head sol no matter where he lays is the same warmth texture and smell.

I agree, I have stopped changing K in the middle of the night because she would wake right up. I also keep the room as dark as possible and don't talk to her at all. Seems to work! She barely even wakes up during her feed haha.

Yep I shut my eyes, wish I had a dimmer light than my bedside lamp. I can't see my nipple in the angelcare nightlight he'll end up getting it in the eye without a proper light on.

I only change him if he has poo'd or is really wet.

I don't swaddle him properly as he likes to rub his face with his hands and gets frustrated if they r pinned down but the blanket is tucked all the way round him and touches his face (he likes to rub the blanket on his face).

I have a dimmer switch in his room but I think the bulb is too bright as it's still quite bright with it on the lowest. Will buy the lowest wattage bulb I can find tomorrow and see if it makes a difference tomorrow night.

I have just bought a 'Ewan the draeam sheep' - this is the second night of using it... So far we have had mixed success with it. It seems to send Emily off to sleep most of the time, but as soon as the 20 minutes of sound finishes, she wakes up again. Hopefully she wil start to settle for longer soon.

When Dylan stirs I get OH to go make a bottle, It cools for 5 mins and I change his bum, then feed him, (he started feeding at 4 just now) then he'll wind, have a cuddle and he'll be back in his crib by 4:30. I'll turn the lamp off and I won't hear a peep till 7:30ish :) xx
So once he starts his bottle he's asleep after half a hour, sometimes sooner xx

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Mummy to Joshua 23-01-10 &
Dylan 03-02-2012 <3 xx

We have a teddy which plays womb sounds, while i am feeding him and he is sleepy I set it off so he links the two and then after feeding and winding I give him a little cuddle and set off the teddy again, put him in his crib with his dummy and he is as good as gold!! I use the sleeping bags and have done since pretty much birth as he is a wriggler and was kicking off the blankets and likes to suck his hands once the dummy falls out!!
xxxx

ive discovered that Alyssa goes right back to sleep after being put down if i hold her hand..... strange baby she is. i change her, feed her and she always wakes up when shes put in her basket again. she sometimes takes a dummy and sometimes it seems to upset her but the last 2 nights ive just held her hand loosly and she goes straight to sleep again

We have found that having the hall light on and the door half open gives us enough light, but not too much. More than a nightlight, less than a lamp.

We found that LO would go to sleep on OH but then wake as soon as we put her down, so we put her in a grobag so that she stays warm when hubby puts her down - she's much better at settling in that than in swaddle (likes her hands out) or blankets (crib gets cold and she kicks them off).

I change Js bum only if he's poo'd he is usually asleep by the time he's finished feeding I put him straight back in his basket he stretches for a minute and that's the last we hear of him until next feed usually sometimes he fusses but not very often xxx

He is ok goin back in his basket, he just takes so long to go back to sleep. Might try a sleeping bag tonight then and see if that makes a difference. He does use his Blanket as a comforter so may lay it in the bottom of his basket so he can still snuggle his cheek on it.

Worth a go!

Thinkin about it - if I have to re-swaddle him after changing and he wriggles during feeding he will be getting colder during his feed. If I put him in a sleeping bag, he will warm up again quickly and stay that way during feeding. Hhhmmmmmm!

That sounds like a good plan carly!

Our bedroom is super hot so can't use a sleeping bag with Ariel. He doesn't have any problems getting back to sleep but wakes up everytime I pop him in his Moses basket after his 4 am feed!

Our bedroom is between 21-22 degrees but Henry always fidgets and his blanket comes off and he feels cold to the touch when I pick him up when he wakes. I change and feed him in his nursery do DH can sleep cos he has to get up for work. his room feels slightly cooler than ours. Will report in tomorrow! Lol!

Well the sleeping bag worked!!!! :yay:

Henry woke 3 times in the night for between 30-60 mins each time, instead of his usual 90 mins each time. So happy!!!

thats great news hun, i'll keep that in mind if i ever have a problem settling Alyssa at night

It really did help him. He must've been gettin too cold where he was wriggling and undoing the swaddle. Poor little dude :( at least I worked somethin out with the help of u girls! Much happier mummy and warmer baby! Lol

I found white noise helps. Do u have an iPhone? They have an app for white noise for babies. It's really worth a try. It's soothing for me too when I play it! We both end up fast asleep when it's on lol x

We use a seahorse!!!! It's fab xxx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332601944.096964.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332601944.096964.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 2
^ what do the seahorses do?

@ Bev that sounds so cute u stroking her hand to sleep reminds me of when L was in NICU I would stroke his head til he fell asleep cos I couldn't hold him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back