seeing consultant tomorrow pm (Tuesday)

monsterpickle

Reaction score
So, I have an apt with consultant obstetrician tomorrow afternoon. During my 12 week scan they found what they think is a dermoid cyst which is 9x9x9cm and is "blocking the exit" for the baby :shock:
I have had blood tests to see if it's cancer (~10% chance) so I'll find that out tomorrow and also what they plan on doing about it generally. I guess options are:
  • Remove it as soon as possible
  • Extra monitoring and remove at some point
  • Extra monitoring and remove during c-section

We just want to know :cry:

I know everything might be fine and extra monitoring is not necessarily a bad thing... but I'm still worried....
(Currently 12+5)

Sorry your going thru this. Perhaps post in a busy area. Hope you got some answers today.

Sorry you didn't get any reply earlier.
Speaking only for myself I don't tend to pop in to high risk as I was fortunate to be 'normal' risk.
What a horrible ordeal you've been through. How did you get on today? Hoping you got some positive news? X

Replies like buses! Nothing for a day and two in two minutes :)

Thanks Nutsy and Claire, it was just really hard noticing that 30 people had viewed my post without posting any kind of "hope it goes ok" kind of message.....

anyway.....

the good news is it's not cancer.

they will be monitoring it (have another scan in three weeks) and it's likely I'll need a c-section.

We-re very relieved although it's still lots to take in. Fortunately my mum's a GP so she was able to advise on the likely outcomes so we were kind of prepared.

Well that's great news it's not cancerous X big sigh of relief!

I've never heard of this before. Is there a chance it might shrink on its own? Are there any other possible side effects or is it just there until it's removed? X

It's very rare apparently! (I must be special :oooo:)

They were quite surprised that I hadn't had any symptoms (regular periods and regular bowels!), they do think that it has been there a long time.
It isn't going to shrink (some do - but not this one!) so will have to be removed surgically at some stage.

We're hoping it doesn't grow between now and next scan in 3 weeks otherwise they'll have to operate then. They can do it keyhole even though it's so large but I guess "best" option is to remove it at the same time as c-section.

Last edited:
It's amazing what they can do via keyhole. My friend is fighting cervical cancer and they found a large benign tumour on one kidney. I think it was 6 inches long. They told her yesterday they will remove via keyhole.

Fingers crossed yours is stable and stays that size until your section and you can get it sorted after bubs is safely here x

hey monsterpickle, I'm glad you got some answers from docs, frustrating when people don't reply to post - I've not been on much last week or so and only just started reading in high risk......anyway, didn't want to read and run so hope the rest of your journey is as straight forward as it can be x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back