Second thoughts on crib :(

Hope81

Reaction score
Ok it's a little complicated but here it comes. Baby's nursery is practically the walk in closet of our bedroom we got a cot and put it in the nursery that's practically with the doors open 2 m away from our bed. You can see perfectly the cot from our bed if the doors are open.
The baby has to go to its big cot very very soon as we live a hectic life and phones ring during the night for is to go to work for an emergency, lights up, people dressing etc etc. so we want the baby to go to its cot quite early as if phones ring and my oh has to get up and get ready during the night to be able to close the door between the 2 rooms so we don't bother the bean.
Now at the begging I was thinking as I am planning to bf to get a bedside crib for the early days to be easier for us.

Yesterday my oh was asking me if we have to rethink the whole crib as eventually we will have to move the baby in the cot quite early what's the point of establishing a routine that we will not keep for long? He was asking if it will not be easier for me and tw baby to get used from the very beginning for her to be in the big cot and me to feed her in the armchair that we have in the nursery instead of our bed?

Now ofc I have second thoughts and no idea what to do :( what do you think?

My crib was the best 50 scoobies I have spent for the baby. The rocking action has helped massively for T chops to go to sleep and to be resettled. I'm keeping her in it as long as possible. It is currently in the nursery at the minute so she can get used to the room (and I can get some sleep).

Could you put the crib in the nursery

Sure I could but I wasn't planning on a rocking crib. I was thinking of a co sleeper one? The one that comes to the level of bed without a side and it's just like an extension of your bed for easy bf ifykwim.
Isnt it the same if she is in her nursery in a crib or a cot?
Or you think about the rocking?
ideally I would like to go to the route of self settling without rocking etc but never say never...

Wss, I didn't have a crib this time but will next time, is there anywhere you can store the cot if you take it down

I guess you could put bean straight in the cot but for those first few weeks it was a god send having Harry right next to me

Believe me only a couple of metres will feel a long way in the middle of the night!

What about a Moses basket instead of a crib?

Yes we can store the cot somewhere.

From your responses I see the problem is not that she will not be exactly near me but rather the size of the bed that she will sleep in?

We have a Moses basket for downstairs but not one you can move upstairs ifykwim.
We can always use the pram cot upstairs though it has no stand? Ah I am so confused :(
I thought I had everything planned lol :( in plus they are so costly in Norway all those things even second hand that I don't want to make the wrong decision

Ah, ok I see. Lol.

I was going at this from the point of view that it would be a waste of money if you want her in the nursery ASAP.

I wanted to feed Tilly chops in bed but she vomited all over the sheets in the nights once and I was most put out sleeping on it so I vowed never again!

I think she'll more safe & secure in the crib as the cot might be too much of an open space for her ifykwim
With regards to the 'on call' thing for work it'd be best to put her in the nursery straight away unless hubby is going to get ready in another room, I know it's good to get them used to noise etc but you'll need your sleep as well and if she gets unsettled with it you'll be up far longer than need be getting her back off again

Oh I see with the open space thing. We can always use a divider for the bed and bumpers as she will not move much at the beginning to be dangerous for her. We also have a motion mattress alarm.
getting ready in a different room would be an option but years and years of medical training on call night duty made me to fully wake up and be alert and awake in a sec at the smallest noise.... It's a curse actually....regardless where the bean sleeps or who will dress where me and oh will both be up and fully awake at the first noise from a phone or the bean :( and then take hours to settle again anyway lol :(
How about we try from the very beginning at the big girl cot, if that fail my oh can go buy the crib and until stores are open an the crib set up we can use the Pam cot if needed?
Does that sound realistic?

We had G in the crib next to the bed.

There's two options I can see here - first is that you move cot nearer you - loud noises don't tend to wake a baby (obviously some are exceptions to this) and they jst get used to the phone etc. we have G in our room and we sleep with the tv on, and it's never bothered her.

The other option is could you co-sleep in bed for a few weeks. I was totally against this personally, but the 4month sleep regression has meant needs must sometimes. DH and I sleep tight close together over one side of the bed, and G lies in the crook of my arm, so she has nearly half a bed to herself. This is pretty easy while LO is little enough not to move. Xxx

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

My crib was the biggest waste of money , next time I will be getting a cot and be putting the baby straight into that x

We had the moses basket in our bedroom for 6-8 weeks, and my partner gets up quite early for work, but instead of getting ready in our room and turning all the lights on he would get his stuff ready the night before and get ready in the nursery/bathroom so not to wake F up... maybe that could be an option? I was BF at the time, so was a god send to have her next to me rather than moving rooms...

In regards to the routine, baby's adjust pretty quickly so i wouldnt worry about that!

Hope you get it sorted! x

The cot wouldn't fit near the bed :( otherwise that's what I would do :(

Co sleeping may be an option for some days I needed but I will probably get no sleep at all worrying for the baby to not get under a blanket etc. I suppose we can do it safely if needed and if it's not in a daily basis.

God the closer I get to my DD the more stressed I am.
What If I can't bond with the baby? What If my relationship falls apart, what if the changes in our life are that big that I can't cope?
Ok ok rant over that wasn't the purpose of my thread. I have trimester 3 for ranting lol....

Thank you for all of your advices :love:

When I was pregnant I was never one for co-sleeping not against just not for me. Then I had my baby!

I spent the first couple of weeks fighting him back into his basket. Then he spent the second half of the night in with me (OH doesn't sleep with us ATM because of his job) and as of a couple of months a go I gave in and we co-slept. This was because Tyler has never slept through and its the only way I can sleep. A couple of weeks ago we turned our cot into a cosleeper (by removing a side) and I wish we'd had one from birth.

Personally I would get a cot that can be used as a cosleeper then turned back into a cot. My plan into progress by putting the side on while he's next to me, then move him across the room, then when we move into a 2 bed move him into his own room

Now only if I could fit the cot near the bed :( but sounds a good plan pinky :)

Not read all the responses so really sorry if I am repeating stuff already mentioned, if I am just ignore me!! LOL.

Could you sell the cot you already have in the nursery and then get one of those ones that goes next to the bed and then when you are ready to move baby, just move the cot? Then he/she will already know the cot/smells and you should have no transition issues? Personally, I think it is a godsend in the beginning to be able to have baby close to bf (we co-slept) but, we also moved our baby into his own room and big cot at 10 weeks, once he had been sleeping for larger blocks of time, so that I could get some more decent sleep!

If you're breast feeding hum I'd highly high,y recommend the bedside crib. Its soooo much easier than crib in a separate room! When baby is here, you'll probably find she gets used to the noises around her at night and it may not be an issue.

When I was pregnant I was never one for co-sleeping not against just not for me. Then I had my baby!

I spent the first couple of weeks fighting him back into his basket. Then he spent the second half of the night in with me (OH doesn't sleep with us ATM because of his job) and as of a couple of months a go I gave in and we co-slept. This was because Tyler has never slept through and its the only way I can sleep. A couple of weeks ago we turned our cot into a cosleeper (by removing a side) and I wish we'd had one from birth.

Personally I would get a cot that can be used as a cosleeper then turned back into a cot. My plan into progress by putting the side on while he's next to me, then move him across the room, then when we move into a 2 bed move him into his own room

Agree completely x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back