going from a moses basket into crib? help!

claireyfairey

Reaction score
I know there's a similar thread about getting LO's to settle in their cots but I just wanted to know about people's experience changing LO from a moses basket to a cot. Isla is really too big for her moses basket now and we have been given this: http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Sw ... 1&mcb=core
as a substitue because our room is so small and I'm not ready to have Isla in another room yet.

We put her down in her moses basket to begin with, then we woke her for a feed at about 2am and then settled her back in her crib...well, she went to sleep in it eventually but she kept waking up and fretting. This morning I caved in and let her sleep in her moses basket inside the crib just so I could get a little bit of sleep myself...

Any tips on what I could do to make it less frightening for her? She's asleep in it at the moment, it took me about 10 - 15 minutes to settle her, but it's the night time I'm worried about. Does it get easier? Help! :)

I always just used a crib... used to roll up two towels when he was little and put then either side of him, kept him bit more snug n secure!

thats my only suggestion xx

claireyfairey said:
Any tips on what I could do to make it less frightening for her? She's asleep in it at the moment, it took me about 10 - 15 minutes to settle her, but it's the night time I'm worried about. Does it get easier? Help! :)

Put her in it asleep, stay with her all the time for the first few nights etc, try not move her back to the moses basket she will get accustomed to it. Also try swaddling her will make her feel safer.

Took Hay roughly 2-3 days to settle in his cot but that thing is MASSIVE and like you he had grown out of his moses basket and the cotbed was the next thing we had.
It's HUGE lol!!

In the end when we got the crib (from a colleague of OH's) we just put her in it one night instead of the moses basket. Had no problems with her settling at all - probably because she wasn't bashing herself off the sides! Was the same when she eventually went into her cot. We never bothered putting her down in it when asleep, mostly because we were worried she'd wake up and fret more because she'd woken up in a strange place she hadn't gone to sleep in.

We just made sure she had the familiar things she'd had in the moses basket - her musical light thing and her cuddly comforter and she was fine. :hug:

hi my son always has beern a big baby hes only 2 months n he filled his moses basket easily.
we started getting him in a routine at 9:30pm i wake him up and keep him awake till 10:45 then i do his nappy and put his excema cream on then he has his milk at 11pm then at 11:30pm i take him up to bd put him in his sleeping bag give kiss good night lay him down and thats irt he loves his cot asnd i think the routine helps and i love his routine coz wen hes asleep in his ccot thats it till half nine in morning :cheer:

Steelgoddess said:
claireyfairey said:

Put her in it asleep,

Opps that should say awake!! lol!!

Thanks for the advice girls. I'm happy to report that Isla has slept well in her crib for the last 2 nights :dance: :dance: :dance: She is still in her moses basket for the early part of the evening - OH and I are living with my prents so we spend a lot of time in our room watching dvd's and stuff, so until we go to bed Isla is in the spare room with the monitors on and I haven't made up the cotbed yet :doh: I'm just waiting for mothercare to deliver the cot bed divider thing (makes it smaller) and I will make it up, and we can phase the moses basket out completely!

For anyone interested, all I did to get Isla used to the crib was make it all up with bumpers the whole way round so she can't see out, and I also wore a muslin tucked into my clothes for a few hours and layed it down in the crib so she could have something with a comforting smell to lie on. I also transferred her into the crib when she was asleep and although that might not work for some babies it seemed to work for us as she got the picture that this was somewhere to sleep :)

C xxx

Aimee grew so fast and we had to get her cot built up when she was 3 months old. I can honestly say we had no troubles with the change from moses basket to the big massive cot. Just make sure you have a good bumper! I've lost count how many times Aimee has managed to get her arm over the top of the bumper and through the bars! :?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back