second jobs and tax

trixipaws

Reaction score
my boyf and i are so poor, we need to save some money for ibiza next year, my dad will pay for our flights and we can stay at my uncle's flat but anyone will kno u need about £200 just for one good nite out clubbing there, and if we want a few of those, plus some days out and shopping we need at least a grand each! but we dont have diddly-squat, in fact we are both overdrawn! so one of us needs a second job.

so was wondering if anyone can gimme some info,
i think the income tax is higher on second jobs isnt it?

does anyone kno what it is, and whether it still applies if the second job is another role within the same company?

for example, my boyf is an executive in the head office of a well-known fast food restaurant chain- if he got a little evening job just as a burger flipper would he be subject to the same high tax as in second jobs?

if not, it makes sense he does that i suppose, altho its a bit unfair he takes the second job as he already works 40 hours a week. i only work 21 hours so would not mind putting in a couple of evenings working behind a bar or something.

:rotfl: me and my boyfriend are poor.... which is why we won't be going to Ibiza next year! :D

Don't mean to piss on your parade but wouldn't it be better to go somewhere cheaper!? I could just about afford £200 on a holiday at the moment let alone £200 on ONE NIGHT!

As far as I knew any second job was taxed at higher rate- couldn't he work as a deivery driver for a local takeaway... cash and tips :wink:

Kinda with jade on this one. We are moving into a new house next week ish so I know we are going to be dirt poor, so if we do get away it will be a seaside holiday. I can book the holiday for £200 :rotfl: and to be honest I prefer that kinda holiday makes me feel like a proper little family walking along the seaside :D

Could you not go next year when you might be in a better finacial situation?

+You get taxed at 20% on your second job.

If he worked for the same company, he would still only be on the payroll once so would be taxed at his normal rate.

He would have to watch he doesnt go over the Working time directive if working on the same wage for same company ( 47 hrs a week ) .

second jobs are usually taxed at basic rate tax which I think is 22%

You are only taxed at basic rate on your second job if you earn above your personal allowance on your first job. If you don't earn above the £5k (I can't remember the exact amount of PA for this tax year), you will need to contact your local tax office so that you can split your personal allowance between the two jobs.

Regardless of what second job your bf takes on he will pay the same amount of tax so really you would benefit from taking on the highest paid job that either of you can find.

The only slight problem you may find is that if you bf is already a higher rate tax payer (i.e. he earns above around £38k) any additional income he earns is chargeable at 40% tax instead of 20%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back