Scratch mits on sleeping baby?

crystabell

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Have just been thinking about whether or not you would leave scratch mits on a sleeping baby through the night? What do you guys do? Has your baby ever bitten/pulled them off?

Any advice will be great.

Crystal xx

Charlie's would never stay on and he used to scratch himself really badly even though we tried to keep his nails short. In the end we found it better to use socks!!! They fit better as they were longer down his arm, kept his hands lovely and warm and he couldnt work them off flapping his hands about, stopped him having to keep his fists closed as well as he got a little older as there was more room in them...worked out cheaper as well as we kept losing mittens all the time!

Ellie's worn mitts since being born all the time cos if she doesnt then she scratches her face to bits, midwife told us to hang on b4 cutting her nails so mitts it is for now :) They havent really fallen off much and she likes to suck on them anyway lol

Socks are said to stay on better, nothing has ever lasted a night on Isaac's hands, he even got rid of 6 ankle tags in hospital :lol: he didn't scratch at his face though so wasn't an issue for us, but mitts or socks are fine :D

we got given some baby grow sleep suits whihc have integral mitts...we only discovered this recently, we thought they were fancy cuffs!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Next do them I think, we are looking for next size up for sleep suits now and i can;t seem to find 3m+ suits with integral mitts... it seems to be a 0-3 thing. But prior to discovering these, we used mitts and they always came off usually the right hand???? !!!!

Beatlesfan said:
we got given some baby grow sleep suits whihc have integral mitts... we are looking for next size up for sleep suits now and i can;t seem to find 3m+ suits with integral mitts

I'm pretty sure Mothercare sleepsuits have these in 3+ months sizes - you know the packs of 3 sleepsuits you can buy for £12 (daylight robbery!)

Valentine Xxx

I also use the sleepuits with integral mitts you can get them from mothercare, next or matalan at matalan you can get 3 white ones for £4 or 3 pink/blue for £7 :D

Lola would just pull off normal scratch mitts and sratch her face to bits :(

Until about 2/3 months babies don't tend to pull them off. Harrison wore them the majority of the day when he was first born esp when he was sleeping as he would fling his harms everywhere and scratch his face

Jeni was always getting hers off so we don't bother any more. She very rarely scratches herselfbut she likes scratching mummy's boobs when she's feeding which is painful :rotfl:

I like the idea of using socks :lol:

i have never been able to keep them on with my daughters because none of them have had dummies so have automatically looked for their hands for comfort which means they either rub them off or get them soaked so their hands go cold.

the sleepsuits are a great idea but they can be expensive!

xxxxx

I used them for the first couple of days when I got home but then I tried him without and he was fine. I nver bothered using them again

Thanks for all of your replies. I did buy two sleepsuits from Matalan and I didn't realise at the time but the cuffs on them can be turned over to be a scratch mit. I was just a bit concerned about whether it would be dangerous if she got them off in the middle of the night and they were still in the Moses Basket with her. She wouldn't choke on them would she?? I am probably being a but paranoid but just wanted to check. :D

no im sure that wouldnt happen, dont worry about it! :hug:

and ur due on my bday woo woo!! :cheer: :cheer:

Hee hee thats cool. I am just probably worrying too much then :D I am glad I can get advice from this forum, helps settle my mind when I have any queries like this. Thanks for the replies :hug:

to be honest kenzo never wears any at night because I believe that if he can scratch himself at night, he can also do it during the day. and i don't think he will find it comfortable to wear scratch mitts all day and all night. he has scratched himself on the face once or twice but it's not bad at all. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back