SAHMs and Mums of two

ToriElla

Reaction score
just wondering how you all manage financially?

I would love to be a stay at home mam but i had to go to work part time. basically DH's wage pays all the bills and mine is for the food and stuff we need.

I want another baby but DH is worried about how we would manage (I am too if im honest). How do you do it? did you find a second baby a strain on your income?

xx

Ask me in a few months!

We calculate that each new child adds £15 a week onto our food shopping budget, and thats about it. Other than that its initial settin up costs and clothin and stuff, ut that can always been done on the cheap if nessisary with ebay and stuff. Plus I find family buy a lots of stuff when a baby is born like cots and bugies and stuff.

Plus child tax credit will go up by £20 a week for the first year, and £10 a week there after, plus child benefit oes up by about £11 a week or something, so this covers extra food expenses anyway for us. I dont know about what other benefits increase cause we dont claim anything else.

For us I dont see it bein a strain in any other way with child care or anything cause I work part time in the evenings in a pub, so OH looks after them then. I think certainly if you have a family memer or someone looking after kids you would have to see how they felt about looking after more kids. Or if you use childcare, check out how much extra that would be.

Second one is cheaper to set up for, only really got to buy double buggy, new cot/cotbed and that about it. Some new bottles or teats maybe and more clothes if ti's a different sex.

I didn't want to go back to work, sod the bills, we cut our non-priority ones down. I'm happy to live a little skinter to bring up my son. It isn't for everyone, and isn't always poissible for vereyone say if you have lots of debt secured on your house, but I have risked my credit rating to stay at home, which I'm not bothered about.

I have a bit more of a reason to stay here though, 1, I'm having another baby, 2, Childcarers roundhere won't take a kid with apnoea :roll: so I have t be a SAHM whether I want to or not :lol:

I currently work 1 day a week. OH has recently got a promotion and his pay has increased by quite a bit.I work 1 day cos that's how often my mom can look after Brody

It is a bit of a strain, especially with Christmas coming, but we'll be ok :)

The OH has not worked for 12 yrs. He is on disability benefits. We get some things paid for . It is much better for him to not work than it is for him to spend all his time working, never see his kids and get taxed to the hilt. I can't work because it would take things from him.

I love it that i can be a stay at home mum, although i do need some things to get me out of the house though. I don't know anyone anymore because I've just moved back here after going to uni. Anyone any ideas??

I am a stay at home mum with number 3 on the way,to be honest when i had my second daughter it didn't really put a strain on our finances and my oh didn't really earn that much then about £300 a week. You will get more working tax credit and child tax credit and child benefit and people always find a way to manage somehow,just like sami my credit rating is not looking good but stuff it at least i can't get into more debt that way. I make sure my priority bills are paid and enjoy being with my kids,when they are all at school i will deff work :D xx

well, i was working and oh was a sahd but ive got no job anymore which i didnt find out till i got a bfp as the companies been sold,so we are going to struggle for a bit until i have this one and get back to work,maybe it was a blessing as ive a feeling im going to be in support belt and crutches a lot sooner than i realised and it wouldnt have been fair on my work if ive goto keep goingto physio and that ,oh well,im just thankful i got the kids pressies before i lost my job,everyone else can make do with a token gift,and to top it all off i booked a party when i was working for next week for my birthday so ive had to fork out 300 which we havent got for room and dj ,food etc as i would loose the money anyways as i would have had to pay wether we had them or not.grr.job centre have put me on jobseekers until im 29 weeks,try and explain to them ,no one is going to take me on and i couldnt afford smtp when our rent is 80 and council tax is 30 week :roll:

We are on a low income but get £40 extra CTC for Aimee plus the £11 family allowence so everything is covered there. We don't really have to buy much for baby no 3 cos we have everything. I don't think babies cost that much anyway. If you shop around they can be dressed nice, clean and well fed for next to nothing anyway.

Icecream said:
Basically, the OH has not worked for 12 yrs. He is on disability benefits. We get the house paid for and some other things. It is much better for him to not work than it is for him to spend all his time working, never see his kids and get taxed to the hilt. I can't work because it would take things from him!

I love it that i can be a stay at home mum, although i do need some things to get me out of the house though. I don't know anyone anymore because I've just moved back here after going to uni. Anyone any ideas??

Sorry i'm confused do neither of you work?
Why can't you work what would it take away from him?

i have chosen not to go back to work as my wage was so low anyway it wouldnt have covered childcare and i would just have been working to keep child in nursery!
Hubby works all hours god sends to keep us above the bread line, we are trying for number two, and as other people have said, appart from getting a double buggy and maybe another cot, i dont think it will add a huge amount on to our monthly outgoings.

When we were thinking about having a second baby in a couple of years time we calculated that it would be expensive for us to have one before Seren is nearly three. Mainly becuase of the childcare cost, as 2 in nursery would be too expensive. So we have decided to wait til Seren is near the age where she will have free nursery, plus I would peronally like a few years between children. Apart from childcare I don't think having another child would be too much more cost wise unless its your 4th and you have to get a new car :D Oh and holidays would cost more too.

I think it's my wage or lack thereof that will cause the strain if i have another one. IE part time MAT pay will be less than I got when I had Eva and we reply on my wage for food etc.

any ideas there? :think:

It depends on how much your wage is hun and how much your oh earns,have you looked at the tax credits website to see what you would be entitled to with just your oh's wages and 2 kids xx

It should still be 90% of your current income. Plus if your in a position where you can work up pretty much right up untill the birth, the increase in tax credits once bub is born should cover any shortfall in wages.

The increase in our monthy shop sinse having Noah has dropped right back down again cause all we get are nappues and wipes now. He eats the same as us now and no longer has bottles, so he has become a lot cheaper now.

it dont realy affect my income to be honest

we are mainly skint because we are behind on bills and they have all caught up with us.

all it costs me extra is napies and milk and clothes. Harley wears all Diors sleepsuits and vests though and socks bacause they are white.

you would probly be best of to give up work and your OH work and claim get tax credits as childcare will be a killer

with me going back to work il be better of by £10 a week then what i would be if i gave up work :shock:

but i need my job as i have no qualifications nothing and i blagged my way through to my job and in 2/3 yrs il be earning ery good money. so i dont want to be silly and throw it away

we didn't have any choice, ours came at the same time.

If it's there, believe me...you cope!

I think if people had to choose based on finances, it would never happen!

:D

ToriElla said:
just wondering how you all manage financially?

I would love to be a stay at home mam but i had to go to work part time. basically DH's wage pays all the bills and mine is for the food and stuff we need.

I want another baby but DH is worried about how we would manage (I am too if im honest). How do you do it? did you find a second baby a strain on your income?

xx

depending on your earnings, if you stopped work you could probably get working families tax credit and child tax credit so would boost you back up a bit 8) i didnt find a 2nd baby a strain when i left my ex partner as i was then a single parent, working part time i got wftc and i was better off than i was before, try and find out what your entitled to and see if you would be worse off first...

Hypnorm said:
Icecream said:
The OH has not worked for 12 yrs. He is on disability benefits. We get some things paid for. It is much better for him to not work than it is for him to spend all his time working, never see his kids and get taxed to the hilt. I can't work because it would take things from him.

Sorry i'm confused do neither of you work?
Why can't you work what would it take away from him?

It would stop some things being paid for and some benefits. It is because he is on disability. It is just much better this way, besides I love that i can be at home with my baby.

Icecream said:
Basically, the OH has not worked for 12 yrs. He is on disability benefits. We get the house paid for and some other things. It is much better for him to not work than it is for him to spend all his time working, never see his kids and get taxed to the hilt. I can't work because it would take things from him!

Im confused.

Is your hubby still disabled and unable to work Icecream or is he now scanking the system so that he can avoid going out to work becasue it would make you finacially worse off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back