Sad decision

beanie

Reaction score
I have a horrible decision to make and its really upsetting me. My dog Sam is 15 years old and last Dec I was told his heart didn't sound too good, and he had a few lumps on his belly. I knew one day he would go but he seems to have just plodded along. However he is loosing weight fast, is still eating ok and does his usual stuff but he is frail. I know its time to say bye but I am really struggling to do it, with my last dog the decision was kind of taken out off my hands as her heart was failing. I have had him for 13 years and he is my last link with my old life. If he was in pain I know I would do it staright away but because he seems normal I find it tough. My sister is coming to see me next week and we are going to take him together unless he goes downhill before then. I am crying as I type this.

oh hun i know how hard this is and i am really feeling for u!! i dont really know wot to say as a dog is a part of someones family/ life and these desisons are so hard

im sending u big hugs hun

oh hun im so sorry that sounds really awful, its not nice when someone close to you is ill even your dog. I cant say much because i havent been though it but i bet its hard especially if he seems fine. At least you have this week to say bye and just try and remember all the good time you have had together, im sorry if this makes not a lot of sense.

You know im around if you ever want to chat hun. Chin up and hope it all goes ok. x x

Hi

Oh hun :hug: so sorry it must be real tough i couldnt imagine life without my dog hes my other child lol.
Spend this last week with him and giev himlots of hugs and kisses .
Katrina

I'm so sorry Beanie. :cry:
I know how hard & heartbreaking it is to put a dog to sleep, we had our doggy put down when I was 16 & we got her when I was just turned 3 so grew up with her. I still miss her today but as hard as it was it was the best thing for her in the end.

My Aunty has had her dogs cremated & the ashes buried in her garden so she can be near them all the time which I think is lovely.

My heart goes out to you, Seren & your OH :hug:

:hug:

OMG that must be the hardest decision ever to make. He'll go a loved and happy dog. Hugs to all the family xxxxx

I think its so nice of you to be kind and do what is best for Sam.
he has had a lovely happy life, and with you making the right desion it will end a happy life, its for the best for him and you.
iv never had pets but kris had a dog he loved so much it was there through his abusive childhood kris loves dogs and the only thing I no that hurts him so much is that's his dogs dead. at first I took the miccy until I seen how much it must have ment to him.
so I understand people can love animals.
its so nice sam can just be put to sleep and not have to feel the pain of a slow death.

I think its so brave of you doing what's for the best x

I'm crying as I read this...
I feel for you Beanie - a hard decision ... I would struggle to let go.

Thinking of you at this very heartbreaking time! :hug:

Emilia xx

Beanie, i've just had a thought!

Might it be possible to hold off until Serens' Naming Ceremony? That way you can celebrate your daughters birth & name plus also celebrate the friendship you have had with your doggy. Your dog has clearly been a huge part of your life. I think that it may be nice for your doggy to be there on Seren's big day. Plenty photos' to remind you of 2 very special beings in your life. Letting go will be excruciatingly painful, but when we could have celebrated the excistence & happy memories rather than mourn the loss, I feel we cope so much better. The feeling of loss never goes, but we tend to overcome our sadness easier.

I can imagine that this is such a tough time for you to make such a decision. My heart really goes out to you!

Emilia xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Im so sorry :'( It must be so hard but its whats best and he has had a lovely long life where he has been happy and loved very much. I really feel for you, Seren and you're OH. :cry:

Take care and best wishes
Cassie

Awww hun I am really sorry about your dog :hug: :(

I know how hard it is to lose a dog when it's been a major part of your life. I had two dogs who I lost within 2 years of each other. When we lost Dino first it was awful but we still had Solomon so it kinda helped ease the pain because he was still there and we needed to be strong for him as Dino was like a brother to him and he was heartbroken. Dino had a stroke and was very poorly so we knew we had to do what was best for him.

With Solli it was the most awful time, we'd only just got over Dino when we noticed a large lump on Solli's leg. After a while he started limping and we thought it was time to take him to the vet but then he perked up and started walking again so thought it was nothing. Then a few months later the lump was still there and fluid was collecting at the bottom of his ankle. That day we took him to the Vet who gave him some drugs and sent him home and wanted him back the next day for an x ray. He seemed fine in himself but we could tell they were worried. The next day he went back and the vet wasn't happy with his leg so kept him in. His temperature kept dropping so it took ages to do the x ray. In the end they got it done and got him back round. They found he had a huge tumor on his leg which was eating away at him. I was deverstated as we really didn't think it was anything and he must have been in pain :( he was so well in himself though and he had other lumps all over the place which the vet told us was nothing. Just fatty lumps. In the end my dog just gave up. I think he knew something was seriously wrong so he just went to sleep by himself. I'm glad he did it that way because I couldn't have made the decision myself, he was like my baby and I still don't think I have got over his death.

So hun I know how hard it is to have to make a decision because I had to do it with my first dog but you have to look at what's best for the dog. It's so upsetting though and I don't think you ever really get over it. You plod on because you have to for your little girl but you'll always think about your dog. It does get easier though. Sorry I'm not probably making the best of sense or putting this in the right way as I found this quite upsetting. I send my love to you and your family.

Hon really sorry I wasn't on last night to give you some :hug: , it is a really really sad decision to come to. You've given Sam a really good life (hope you've bought in those juicy bones and treats ;) ) and I understand why it's even harder for you to let go of him.

Sending you hugs til I can give you a proper one next week :hug:

aww i am so so sorry Beanie, what a horrible decision. All i can do is send hugs to you and your sister. :hug: :hug:

We had to have our 17 month old cat put to sleep in January of this year. I still miss him, but i do think of the good times as i am sure that you will.

Oh Beanie its such a horrible decision to make. We had to have our dog put to sleep a couple of years ago. She was 17 years old and we had had her from a puppy, she had been becoming increasingly old, senile and deaf and blind and incontinent, and very unsteady on her feet. In the end one night we heard wimpering from the kitchen. we went downstairs and found her legs had given way under her and she didnt have the strenght to stand up. The following day we took her to the vet to be put to sleep, cause we didnt want her to suffer. If it helps she wasnt in any pain, we stayed with her throughout the process, she was just laying down while they administered the injection and we continued to stroke her till her eyes closed and her breathing slowed to a stop, she never cried out or wimpered and just seemed very relaxed and peacefull not scared at all. (im welling up now) So if your dog is struggling you really are doing the best thing. Our other dog who we have also had for much the same amount of time as becoming weaker now, we got Jenny 2 years after we got Zoe so they always grew up together, and she is slowing down. Both were rescue dogs and at least we know that they have had long and happy lives, which is more than a lot of dogs get, and its nicer to let them go peacefully with you there right up untill the end comforting them.

Oh hun so sorry to hear it :hug:

My dog's called Sam :D Only 2 years old.

Last dog before Sam was called Shep. He was pts on his 17th birthday.
Like Shep your Sam will let you know when he wants to go.

Just wrap him up warm and keep him comfy until he tells you.

:cry: Oh Beanie

I've been through this a lot (grew up with LOTS of dogs). You'll know when it's the right time for him to go, and you'll know when you feel ready to let him. :cry: Thinking of you xxx

Pea x

oh beanie what could i say.

we had to have our cat mitzi, put to sleep last summer. She was 13 and i had had her since she was a baby, it just ripped me apart to have to say goodbye to her but it was by far the kindest thing to do(some thug kicked her and left her with horrible injuries......if i ever get my hands on them.....). we had her cremated, then took her ashes and scattered them in one of our favorite places so whenever we go there i think of her and smile at the things she used to do :) that made her the cat i loved.take your time and say your goodbyes in any way that seems fit to you, memories are always there and are the biggest help in time to come
thinking of you :hug:
xx

Aww beanie hun sending you a massive hug :hug: :hug:
Such an awful thing to go through, thinking of you.

When i lived with my parents my cat had to be put to sleep as she had a tumour in her eye which was causing her a lot of pain! i was so upset and cryed for days :(

Hi Beanie,

hug4.gif

I know TOTALLY how you feel babe, we had to put our dog down last year, she had a stroke and it was the kindest possible thing for us to do. I had grown up with her since I was 6....so so sad.
sad2.gif

It is like losing a member of the family, they ARE a member of the family. Its so gutting and heart wrenching but it will heal, you just need to grieve and come to terms with what is going to happen.

I know your doggie would be pleased that you are thinking of him, he wont want to suffer and would feel proud that your doing the right thing for him.

It took me a while to get over the loss of Molly but I know she looks down at me everyday and now I can think of her and smile and laugh, remebering the happy times. Im in tears now..look what our pets do to us!

My thoughts will be with you whatever you choose to do x

Oh darling, I am crying too....I love my doggie so much and I cant bear the thought of ever losing her...

Our last doggie was so ill, and old. My mum kept saying we should take him to vet, and I begged her to wait a while...we woke up the next day and he had passed peacefully in his sleep. I stil miss him now, and talk to him sometimes.

My in laws had to put their doggie down recently, and we were all so upset, but she was so old and frail...she is still missed terribly now

We will all be thinking of you, hope you and your doggie have some lovely cuddles before you have to say goodbye :cry: Please send him a cuddle from me and Tilly and once he gets to doggie heaven I will tell Jack and Ruby to come get him and play :hug: xxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back