Ryan Zachory Nathanael Mann- 20.27 Friday 24th Aug, 8lb 7oz

leckershell

Reaction score
Hello all.. seems crazy to be eventually posting here! Woo, I'm a mommy! :cheer:

Stats:
Name- Ryan Zachory Nathanael Mann (Nat's surname, and still debating my preferred spelling of Zachory).
Time and DOB- 20.27, Friday 24th August 2007, 10 days overdue and 2 days before planned induction date.
Weight- 8lb 7oz
Where- George Eliot Hospital, Nuneaton
Type of birth- Birthing Pool
Pain relief- Nothing up until 6cm dilated, then 2 paracetamols, then a warm bath, then gas and air.
Birthing partner- Nat, my fantastic boyfriend
Birth problems- None, no tear/stitches, no emergencies, all went well.

Thursday 9am - Had a sweep and at that point the midwife told me I was already 1-2cm dilated and in early labour, and that the baby's head was very low. Shortly afterwards I had quite a large amount of show which continued all day. Was crampy all afternoon but only mild pains - was talking to the girls in 330 chat :)

Friday 12noon - Called the hospital as the 'cramps' were every 5 mins. still not particularly bad but thought I'd better call, as knowing me I'd be in labour and not even know it. They wanted me in once they were coming every 3 mins apart, so Nat poured me a bath as I couldn't get comfy on the birth ball or settee so figured I may as well try the bath. Got out the bath about 1 with pains every 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 mins apart. Picked up some extra stuff, checked mine and baby's bags for last minute additions, called hospital, and headed off as they wanted me in.

Friday 3pm - Got seen in assessment unit by midwife called Jan, who said I was looking "far too cheerful and comfortable to be in established labour". While I was waiting I kept telling Nat I felt really damp but I just thought it was me peeing myself again :oops: so I didn't say anything LOL She did an internal and kept her finger there throughout one of my cramps, looking surprised and saying I was 4-5cm dilated with one cramp taking me up to 6cm and the forewaters were feeling as if they were about to burst. She confirmed from a urine sample that my backwaters had gone (most likely when I was laughing about feeling damp) and then when I next stood up I felt all wet again and we joked between us that it was probably the forewaters just broke, and in the end it was LOL. It was about this time Jan said I wouldn't be going home, and since I was walking around absolutely fine I actually thought they may have sent me home as I wasn't actually in that much pain.

Friday 430pm - Taken to a holding ward as they had no spaces in the labour suite.. there was a girl there at 1cm dilated and moaning about it and wincing in pain, and someone else not near due but waiting for a checkup. Was there for about 20 minutes then they told me I had to get to labour unit pronto, so then we went there and I was still walking fine. When I got there I met a lovely midwife called Trudie who was asking me about my choice of pain relief and I said "oh in an ideal world probably water pool and gas and air.." and she said oh you're in luck i'm trained in water births if you actually want to birth in the pool too and I was like ooh great, yes please :) so that was cool. Was put into a room and I started leaning on the trolleys as they were a convenient height and I was a bit in pain so I asked for a couple of paracetamols.

Friday 5pm - Trudie had poured me a warm bath to chill out in for a bit, so I did that. Paracetamols did the trick for a bit and I was fine just floating around in the bath with Nat leaning on the side talking to me. Eventually I started getting pains more often and I'm not much of a vocal type but I started crying to Nat that every so often one of the cramps would really hurt..

Friday between 5pm and 8.27pm - Memory very clear but not sure what the time was at all during this time. Still in the bath as I refused to get out, Trudie kept coming in every 15 mins doing internals, think I got upto about 8cm in the bath. I remember joking with Nat that a couple of weeks prior I would have been horrified at the thought of some random woman seeing my boobs let alone seeing me naked in a bath, but that strangely I didn't careanymore... LOL At some point Nat decided my little weeps were too often so he buzzed her to bring in some gas and air which she did. I remember making impressions of things and pretending to be 'high'... :rotfl:. Gas and Air was pretty good when I got it in time - when I started on it mid-cramp it wasn't so helpful but I soon learnt and started it early the next time. I got near the end of the gas and air and told Nat to call Trudie in to get more as I didn't want to risk not having any.. she came in and did internal which probably was the one where I was about 8cm. Her and Nat moved me to a wheelchair (I couldn't lift myself out of the bath, no strength in my legs at all) to transfer me to Birth Pool as Trudie said if I had stayed in the bath any longer it would have to be a bath birth not a pool birth! I hated that very short wheelchair journey and apparently had another 3 contractions before I got to the pool.

Pool - I got in and was floating around in it, lying on my back with one leg occasionally hanging off and out of one side of the pool, and holding the 2 handles with each of my other hands. They were convinced I was uncomfortable, but leaning forward in any way hurt really bad so I just wanted to lie on my back. Apparently it's very uncommon to lie on your back in the pool and that most ladies kneel down - who knows, I was comfy anyhow :) It was around this time I think I heard Trudie call me the Little Mermaid, and someone said something about "Under the Sea" the song so I took it upon myself to start singing it... :oops: how embarrasing :oops: :rotfl: I remember I kept saying "I don't want to be a wuss" - maybe that was my way of dealing with it all LOL. Can't remember much else other than lots of pains, lots of gas and air, and Trudie telling me to feel the head coming out - which was a bit weird. The head bit itself didn't seem that bad, the type of pain felt familiar and I don't quite know why. I was quite happy to push when I was told to - through the pains, in between the pains, whenever I could whether I had gas and air in my mouth or not.. It felt sort of like the *right* thing to do and of course I didn't want to be a wuss so thought I'd push as much as I could :oops:. They kept telling me the head was so close to being out, and I remember saying yeah yeah you're just saying that to make me feel better, but apparently I pushed it out very quickly but still very gradually and smoothly and each push bought it out in good time. Sort of felt a bit of relief when I felt the head pop out, and then could feel the rest of the body squiggling around inside me still just before it all sort of slipped out. That was pretty cool.

Little effort was handed to me and apparently I had a very shocked look on my face but still very happy, and the first thing I said was "Little Effort, it's your birthday - Happy Birthday Little Effort!" and then I asked whether girl or boy and someone said boy and I was like "woo we got a boy". Was casually chatting to Trudie about the Ring of Fire shortly followed by me doing a little singsong of Johnny Cash's chorus of "Ring of Fire" - I remember saying it wasn't as bad as people said but I could see why some people would call it Ring of Fire. Nat cut the cord once Trudie showed him how to, and reassured him it was ok, and he had Little Effort for a bit while I delivered the placenta (which felt fantastic - like a big warm gush full of relief :)) and had my rhesus negative bloods taken.

Didn't tear at all by the way. Apparently it was quite close as I had a lot of tension at perineum, but even with a 8lb 7oz'er it was all cool and didn't tear or need any stitches or anything. So :cheer: Woo :cheer:

We stayed down in that room for a bit and a new shift of midwifes came on. They weren't as helpful as Jan and Trudie (Jan had come in again at some point while I was in the pool as she had written an essay on Water Birth but never seen one and I think she was interested in mine as she'd seen me earlier as having a high pain threshold). About half past midnight I think, me and Little Effort went up to the sleeping ward where we had our own room (which was lucky as practically everyone else there was in a normal communal ward!). I'd already got a bit of a name for myself, they all knew me as the "girl from the birth pool", and I suppose I got some sort of preferential treatment but I don't know why :) Cool though. Was absolutely gutted to leave Nat at the lift, I suppose I was in denial and couldn't believe I was being left on my own with this little baby... though I was quite tired by then.

Saturday day went well, Nat stayed for as long as the visiting hours let him (10-12 and 2-9). Breastfeeding was going well, and me and Little Effort even had a sleep after lunchtime and woke just before Nat came back for visiting hours. Saturday night was very bad, I wanted to be at home but at the same time knew I wanted the Breastfeeding support from the midwifes. L.E wasn't eating well and kept sleeping all the time, I cried a lot as I felt like I was doing something wrong, and when I cried L.E gave me a sad look like he felt bad that we couldn't work it out. I had a 5 hour breastfeeding marathon before the midwifes agreed nothing was working out, so 230am L.E was given a cup feed of formula so that we could get some sleep.

We slept well after that and L.E didn't wake until 1pm today even with doctors checks and stuff. Were having feeding problems today too but Jan came through to say hello - turned out she was on the duty midwife team for the afternoon :cheer: - and helped me out loads so that we could come home tonight! :cheer: Lovely lady. L.E has a bit of jaundice due to the problems we were having with getting him fluids on Saturday night, and because of the heat in the ward (absolutely boiling nights).

Everything gone really well. Still working on the feeding, but I'm not going to give up. The midwifes said my nipples might be a bit more difficult shape-wise, and that I'd have to work harder at it, but I'm prepared to try, so I'm hopeful that me and little effort will work it out.

Minutes old, with me-
DSC00057.jpg

Minutes old-
DSC00056.jpg

Saturday-
Sat2508d.jpg

Saturday-
DSC00058.jpg

Saturday with daddy-
withdaddySat2508.jpg

Sunday on daddys arm, telling us he wants to feed-
withdaddySun2608c.jpg

Gosh, I bet that's a really long story. I just wanted to write it all out while I remembered, and I hope that some others on here who have their babies due soon will read it and see that birth isn't always blood gore and horror stories :) Make sure you find a midwife you feel comfortable with, insist on what you wanted in your birth plan, don't be afraid to say what you do and don't want, and definately don't be afraid to bother the midwifes by pressing the call button when you need it. If I had pressed call button earlier instead of beating myself up about not doing so well at the feeding, we would have got to sleep earlier and quicker. Also, if feeding doesn't work, don't give up, try again there are so many different positions. It's tough and scary but there's gonna be a different way for different people and at some point you'll find one that suits you and your baby.

Thank you all for being so supportive, and for thinking of us. We're gonna send thankyou cards to Trudie and Jan at the hospital too, for being all round awesome midwifes.
Big thanks to Nat too, he's been fantastic and I love him so much, everything seems so much more special now we're a family. :hug: Big love. :hug:

Congrats hun hes gorgeous!!!
Hope Lo's birth goes as swiftly as yours
:hug: :hug: :hug:

Congratulations and big hugs to you both :hug: :hug:

you did so well, im so happy you got your water birth.

really love all of the names you have chosen but im sure we'll still be calling him little effort

:hug: :hug: :hug:

I am so pleased all went well for you hun....I really had such a feeling it would be a boy (i know you did too).
Many congratulation to you & Nat, and big WELCOME to Ryan AKA Little Effort :cheer:
Enjoy him hun, cherish every minute :D

What a great story Shell - a massive well done to you & Nat. Your little effort is just gorgeous - I bet you can't stop looking at him! You done really well at the birth, and best of luck with the breast feeding. I'm sure you'll be a master at it soon because you've got the right attitude xx

What an incredibe birth story, I'm so glad it went well for you. Welcome to the world Ryan! (He's gorgeous by the way!)

Congratulations!! That's a great story. Ryan is adorable!

leckershell - it sounds like you had an AMAZING birth experience - I hope you are really proud of yourself and Nat and LE. Giving birth in water is brilliant, isn't it - really empowering and feels so natural.

Have fun in your first few days as a new Mummy - you're a star.

Valentine xxx

:clap: CONGRATLAIONS :clap:

You done good! Gorgeous little man!

:hug:

Awwww..... loads of congrats to you and Nat.

Your little boy is a wee stunner!!!

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

wow! That's a great story - and a beautiful baby :D Well done :clap:

hope ours goes that smoothly ...... :pray:

Well done and congratulations to you both.

He is just so cute and great story of the birth. Thanks for sharing. xxx

congrats honey, thats a wonderful story, im sooooo pleased for you :cheer: :cheer:

great birth story!! I hope mine goes half as well.. . . .
good luck with the feeding, you'll crack it!
xxxx

Congratulations on the birth of Ryan. He is lovely :D

I had problems with feeding at first due to Jake having jaundice and being very sleepy. I had to express for 4 days and syringe feed him and I also had to give him one bottle of formula as he was getting dehydrated. Jake started breast feeding on the 5th day and so I was allowed to leave hospital on day 6. I know what it feels like but don't give up as i'm sure Ryan will take to it soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back