Rocking

pringle88

Reaction score
I saw someone a while back say something like "I had to resort to rocking her to sleep in my arms" ... and it kinda made me think, unless Ella falls to sleep through her bottle I have to walk around my bedroom rocking her for sometimes up to 45 mins, once she is asleep (most of the time) i dont hear from her for a good 7-10 hours...

If i put her down awake she cries and cries and just wakes herself up and gets herself all hot and bothered - I dont like to see her like that so I refuse to leave her

At 6 months old should i stop rocking her? How do you all get LOs to sleep? Ella cant be the only baby who wont self settle, surely?

It's up to you I waited til my oldest was a lot older maybe 12 months and actually as a child we've never had bedtime issues.

I bf K to sleep at night, and for daytime naps the only way she will sleep is in a carrier and I have to walk around patting her bum to get her to sleep.

By 4 months old my daughter was in bed awake and fell asleep on her own, when she went in her own room I had to pat her to sleep laid on her floor with her on a mattress next to me.

I can't remember how I stopped that as I think it was a phase from moving to her cot. Every baby is different and if this works for you and you're happy doing it then carry on, she might grow out of it. Or you stop have two or three nights of her crying but you know she sleeps so she will soon drift off.

From the day he was born we rocked Jack to sleep for every nap/nightime. At 6 months I started laying him in his cot awake and leaving the room for 5 mins to see if he fell asleep on his own. If he started getting upset I went straight back in and rocked him to sleep. 9/10 times I still had to rock him. Then at 8 months he started flinging his arms around when I was rocking him as if to say 'I want to be put down Mum' so whenever he flapped I laid him down and amazingly he snuggled down and fell asleep! Since he was 8.5 months old I have only had to rock him to sleep once! He goes down awake in his grobag with his muzzy and 3 dummies (very important it's 3 lol) and his music on and within 4-5mins he's fast asleep! :)

If you're happy to continue rocking her then do so and I bet eventually she'll start wanting to go to sleep on her own x

I dont see anything wrong with rocking or cuddling a baby to sleep especially at night coz they are away from you for a long time!! I have never and will never let my baby cry and he would if I put him down awake and although I know he wud fall asleep eventually I kinda think that it is his life too and I wouldnt like it if someone left me to cry and sp I apply the same to him!! At some point I guess they will just do it, maybe try laying her down at bed time and if she crys then pick her up and rock her and if not then leave her?? One day she will prob just drift off herself!!
xxxx

Whatever you do to get your LO to sleep is the way they will always want to go to sleep, wether its rocking, or feeding, or whatever. They get used to that & find it very hard to sleep a different way & it gets harder the older they get. When I had my 1st LO numerous ppl said not to rock her to sleep, I tried my best not to, I did & still do what clarebear does, I put lo in cot awake, and if he's still crying/grumping i'll go in but I dont rock him, I go in & use the re-settling techniques (stroking face ect w/out lifting him) I think its important he learns to drift off by himself. If he is inconsolable crying, I lift him & give him a cuddle so he is comforted & knows i'm about then I put him in cot to go off to sleep by himself.

xxxxxxxx

I've been very lucky as angel is great at self settling usually and I used to rock her a lot but I also wanted her to be able to fall asleep on her own. Usually if she's unsettled she's happy with a stroke and a cuddle and a kiss. She's never really cried or got distressed when it comes to sleeping but if she ever was I would rock her. She's been really hard to settle lately for naps she doesn't cry she mostly just plays in her crib do I leave her for a few mins to wind down x

I'm the same as little miss thomas was put to bed awake and he self settled from a young age and we do the same with james he now naps in his crib in my room in the afternoons and is there now, we don't rock pat bums etc once you get into an easy routine it does carry on xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back