risk assesment bit of a rant sorry

kitty1987

Reaction score
Im really annoyed with my work place atm and just needed some advice.

I work in a very hot kitchen in a very busy cinema and work have now known for ten weeks that I am pregnant but are refusing to do my risk assesment. I'm annoyed cuz iI got a bump early so its obvious I'm pregnant and they're saying they need at Mat B 1 form before they can do anything, am I right that I cannot get this until im 20 weeks?

They have moved me out of the restaurant kitchen because it was too hot and put me in the concessions kitchen which is just as hot but busier!!! Made no sense to me or anyone else. I just feel like they are trying to force me to quit, there is no space in the kitchen to move properly, I have to bend to get literally ANYTHING and I'm worried about bending all day, most of the managers now walk past me without acknowledging me because they found out that i heard them laughing about the way i was walking (after falling down a flight of stairs two weeks ago) and made a complaint.
Oh and one more thing I was doing 9-5 nearly every day in the restaurant kitchen which was perfect and now they have changed me to 12-8 because it's easier for me. I didn't say it was easier, they decided, it's bloody harder I cant seem to sleep past 6am and I'm ready for bed at 6pm but now im stuck at work until 8pm. Im constantly in the toilets at work crying and I don't know what to do I can't afford to leave my job but I feel like they're trying to force me.

Sorry rant over I just needed to get it off my chest x

They should do a risk assessment as soon as you tell them you're pregnant, nothing to do with the MatB1 form, which youo're right and you get at about 20 weeks.

You can leave at 29 weeks, you can take holiday before this date and you could think about getting signed off work if necessary. I know another 14 weeks sounds like hell, but don't give up and let them bully you into quitting. You've got rights!

That is unbelievable. Personally I would go to your docs and get signed off. It doesn't matter that you don't have your MatB1 form yet - they are still obliged to protect you and do a risk assessment. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4229313.stm

"The legal rights of pregnant workers are guaranteed under the Sex Discrimination Act 1975 and the Employment Rights Act 1996.

Your employer should arrange for you to have a workplace assessment once they know of your pregnancy. "

Don't feel pressured into taking your maternity leave early, either. I would contact your GP and the CAB and get advice on this as soon as possible.

i just feel like im being bullied ot be fair. Ive only worked there 3 months and now im being treated so differently but im so scared of kicking up a fuss incase they sack me because im only 21 i just feel like im being treated like whinge bag whenever i say anything!

If you're worried they could sack you, make sure you diarise and document everything, just in case they do try something silly.

im on the phone to acas now to try sort it out. my docotr and the citizens advice people said it was absolute crap about the mat b1 form which i know anyway, my manager reckons his wife got hers at 8 weeks i was like erm i bet she didnt!

They're either incompetant and don't know the rules or are just being completely negligent!

I would ask for a quiet word with your manager and be firm in saying that their obligation is to carry out the risk assesment asap. You don't have to kick up a fuss, but just make it clear that you won't be messed about. Stand firm and if they don't do anything raise it with head office.

yeh as soon as I get in today i'm gonna go and speak to the manager. acas were not at all happy and said to tell work what they have said, if they still wont do anything I have to write a formal complaint, if that's not responed to in 28 days then I can take them straight to tribunal. See how far I get today seeing as i've been ignored for ten weeks.

Good luck, I was going to suggest putting it in writing that you want your risk assessment done and you want your normal hours back.

Is it a big chain of cinemas you work for?

yeh showcase cinemas so they should know beter. Took a letter in today n musta scared em a bit because they were straight on the phone to head office and said it would be done today or tomora. Wasn't done today so i'll see if its done tomora before I say anything else

I thought it was Showcase you were on about :roll: I worked for them about 10 years ago but in the nottm branch. Lazy feckers will get away with whatevet they can :evil:

lol i left a job at m&s to work there (same pay) becausei hated how unorganised and crap it was and now in realising showcase is the worst company i've ever worked for!

Did they say anything about your hours?

Make sure you keep a copy of anything you give them in writing.

I feel like I am going round in circles!!!!!!!!!!! All of the managers ignored me today and low and behold I didn't get my risk assesment done. I know i sound like a right whinge bag but i know the kitchen im working in is dangerous

1) theres no air con and it is so so hot
2)theres a stupid place by the fryer that i cnt even squeeze through with just my small bump
3)Every thing is at a level that i have to bend down to fetch all day every day
4)When i get a full on bump i wont be able to use the only grill because my bump will be on it or i will have to stand ten feet away when cooking!!!!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I am a nice happy person really :lol:

kitty1987 said:
I feel like I am going round in circles!!!!!!!!!!! All of the managers ignored me today and low and behold I didn't get my risk assesment done. I know i sound like a right whinge bag but i know the kitchen im working in is dangerous

1) theres no air con and it is so so hot
2)theres a stupid place by the fryer that i cnt even squeeze through with just my small bump
3)Every thing is at a level that i have to bend down to fetch all day every day
4)When i get a full on bump i wont be able to use the only grill because my bump will be on it or i will have to stand ten feet away when cooking!!!!

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I am a nice happy person really :lol:

If that's the case then they're legally obliged to find you an alternative position more suitable for pregnancy. They are taking the p!ss so keep at them!

The time has come to go over their heads.

Write a letter to head office, show them your letter already handed in and say what you want to happen in your work/hours / risk assessment etc.

Personally though, I would consider not going to work until it's done (of course demanding that you get full pay)... legally they won't have a leg to stand on now, so screw them.

STILL HAVEN'T DONE IT!! I'm going in tomora on my day off because I know the regional manager is in and I'm gonna go straight to her, I've been nice so far but now I'm f**ked off :x had to leave early today because the heat made me sick all day

That's awful, they can't treat you like that!!

Hope you have more luck with the regional manager
:hug:

Ooops think i may have got the managers in trouble!!!! Told regional manager I'd had no risk assesment the look of anger on her face was priceless. Anyway housemate told me she came in again Thursday night on my night off and found out i still haven't had it done and kicked off like crazy!! Well suppose it will prob get done today!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back