Returning presents - should I tell?

kalia

Reaction score
:oops: :oops: I'm really embarassed about this as I know I should be more grateful :oops: :oops:

I received a thoughtful gift from some friends of the Hospital Bag from Mothercare. The thing is, I already have everything I need and the only thing I would use from it would be the cotton wool so I decided I will return it. I thought I would own up and say that I had the contents so had exchanged it for a cot mobile as that's pretty much the only thing we haven't got. I looked on the website and the bag cost £50 :shock: I didn't expect it to be anything like that much!

So should I tell them that I am returning it to the shop (for vouchers if they don't have the specific mobile I want in stock) or should I keep quiet and pretend that we used all the things from it?

I decided early on that I was not going to keep things that people gave me that I didn't want if I could return them as otherwise it would be a complete waste of money. And if I return it I can get things that will actually be useful to baby or me.

I specifically said to one of them the other day that I already had everything because I didn't want this sort of thing to happen! I know I'm horrible but I'm really stressed about the things that people will give me that I don't want :oops: I'd rather they didn't give me and baby anything :oops: Gift vouchers would be a thoughtful gift if people really want to give us things. Or hand made things that have been made with my baby in mind is a great way to show affection - baby has been made lovely things like cardigans, hats and even a shawl that we will cherish. But anything that we want that can be bought from a shop, we have bought.

Should I tell them?

i would take it bk and not say anything hun, does seem a waste as you have everything so might as weel get something u need

I did this myself with my first, as i recieved many of the same items after i had charlotte. id just tell them, im sure they would understand.

I would take it back and not tell them inless they asked i know if i gave someone a present and it wasnt wanted i would rather they got something they did want. Im sure they wouldnt be offended.

I think I'd go on a case by case basis, depending on the person.

Places like Mothercare are usually fine to swap things within 28 days or however long. They won't give a refund without a receipt IIRC.

I'd go swap it and get what you do really need/want and tell your friend afterwards if you feel you need to. Unlike baby clothing and so on its not like she is ever expecting/hoping to see that hospital bag used when she is around.

I'd take it back and tell them, I'm sure they'd understand.

If I spent £50 on something someone didn't need Id much rather they exchange it for something that would be used.
Getting a mobile instead is a nice idea :D

I'm sure if you explain that you don' need it they won't mind, just tell them how lovely a thought it was etc, and then get what you want!
Me and my OH have everything we need precisely so that we don't have to make do with things we wouldn't have chosen!
:hug: :hug: :hug:

I really understand how you feel. OH and I have carefully researched and planned everything we have bought and we have everything we need. I recently heard that my girlfriends want to throw a baby shower, it is lovely of them, but I genuinely don't want any presents. We have everything we need, anything else would be a waste.
I would take it back and get vouchers or a refund. You don't need to tell your friends, they will probably find it too awkward to ask about it anyway.

i would just take it back hun i wouldnt risk upseeting them by telling them
manda xx

well....theyre not going to know you didnt use it , are they?

if it was something more visible i'd explain , but not with something that as far as theyre aware , you'll use once and thats it

If it were me that had helped buy the gift I wouldn't be offended, if the items weren't going to be needed but could be exchanged for something more useful then I would be happy. I'm sure your friends would understand :)

if i gave a gift and they already had it...

i wouldnt be too bothered if it got exchanged for something else that is to use :)

I dont think they need to know. Your arent returning because you dont like the stuff, you just have it already and you might as well get something that you do need.

If they ask you about whether you use the stuff you can talk about it with confidence because you will have used it, just not the exact stuff that they got.

I took back loads of stuff, especially with Joe. I had about a million 3-6 month outfits but no 6-9 months outfits so I returned stuff ang bought for a bigger size.

I'd return it and tell your friend too, they may well ask how handy it was to have their gift or even be put out that you didn't say how great it was when you went to hospital, I think they would be happy when they come round to see you and baby they will also be able to see the mobile (or what ever you end up getting) and be pleased that they ended up buying that for you instead.

Other wise it may get awkward if you have to lie and they my feel a bit annoyed if they end up finding out from someone else

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back