Reoccurring miscarriage clinic

lottie89

Reaction score
I'm currently experiencing my 3rd mc and my doctor said hell refer me to the clinic. I'm going to hold off going just now just because I don't feel up to it but can anyone tell me what to expect?

I'm sorry to hear you are miscarrying again. I have my appointment on Friday so will be able to tell you what happens then, but I believe it to be a lot of blood tests to test for different things. I would get the Dr to refer you now as I was referred in Feb when I last mc and am just getting seen now.

Thank you, I'm sorry you're going through these tests as well, it's heartbreaking isn't it? I never even thought about how long a referral would take. I'll give my doctor a phone today and get him to refer me xx

Hi lottie, so sorry you are going through this again :-(
I had a lot of testing done after my second mc. The tests consisted of blood tests for various things such as thyroid issues, blood clotting problems. There were about 10 different things they tested for.

Next they did a SIS - which is a saline infused sonograph. Basically they will fill your uterus with a water solution which allows them to get a better picture of your uterus. They can then see if there are any abnormalities or anything that may be contributing to the miscarriages. If they do this one for you, dont worry it doesnt hurt or anything, just feels a bit weird :)

Finally, they did a blood test of myself and my husband for karyotyping. So to see if either of us had any genetic disorders we werent aware about that may have been contributing to the problem.
All my testing showed up clear so when I got pregnant the third time, I was actually really confident it would be ok!
Unfortunately it was not meant to be and I lost the 3rd pregnancy too,

So this is the standard recurrent miscarriage procedure in the Netherlands, Im not sure what the procedure is where you guys are going in the UK.

Hopefully you get an understanding and supportive doctor who will guide you through the process.

@ Platypus - looking forward to hearing about your visit tomorrow. Im really intersted in the differences in approaches to recurrent miscarriages between different countries.

oh one more thing, the first lot of blood tests I had done required me to not be pregnant for at least 10-12 weeks prior. So like Platypus says, Id get the referal now and then in a couple of months hopefully you will feel up to your appointment.
But definately take some time to rest/chill the best you can right now and grieve for your loss. Its a devastating thing to go through but remember, the odds are really in our favour of eventually getting our babies. We are just on a longer path than some other people.

Last edited:
it is heartbreaking and each time it happens you don't just grieve for that baby, you grieve for them all. Like Coco says the odds are in our favour and its actually not that uncommon to get 3 in a row just from bad luck and not other reason.

Look after your self lottie and just do what you need to do when you need to do it

Went and seen my doctor who asked me to come back in 6 weeks time and get my bloods done so that they can then decide who's the best person to refer me to.

Hope your appointment goes well tomorrow! Xx

I was referred to the RMC after my third miscarriage, they took lots of history, did pelvic scan. I had already had a HSG and laparoscopy so they knew uterine structure was ok. I also had loads of bloods, about 12 vials and some of those were to be repeated 6 weeks later which they were. Everything came back clear, I did lose the 4th pregnancy but that's cos it was a very rare twin pregnancy. I hope all goes well the next time.
So sorry you're going through this xx

I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this, I too had three miscarriages so I know that heartbreak that comes with them. I hope you get some answers from the tests that you have. I had all of these and everything came back ok, they said i may just have been unlucky. I got pregnant for the 4th time November 2014 I was prescribed Cyclogest to take for the first 3 months of my pregnancy. Cyclogest is progesterone, I beliieve this worked as im still pregnant and expecting a little girl in 8 weeks time.
I know when people told me after my miscarriages to stay positive and that my time would come. This would just wind me up, I had pretty much given up hope of having a baby. Even though Now I feel baby kicking I still worry and will do until she is in my arms.
Stay strong and take one day at a time. I read another of your posts and it said that your parents had upset you. I was endlessly angry at others for there comments. Or people that knew that didn't even mention it like nothing had happened. It's a delicate subject, I don't think there was one person that said the right thing to me as only I knew how I was feeling. They do care, so try not to push them away maybe just have some space for yourself until things are settled.
Please take care of yourself x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zain mansoor
Back