Refusal

Jellybaby

Reaction score
Been to see the midwife today and I am not a happy bunny :( I asked if she would listen to the baby's heartbeat for me and she refused, I know there is a chance she may not be able to hear it but I would have rather she checked. She was quite abrupt about it!!!! When I had my last baby the midwife always had a listen when I went for appointments. Also she didn't ask for a water sample or check my blood pressure which I found strange.

Has anyone else expeienced this??? is this just the normal proceedure now?

xxxxx

that is out of order, i would have demanded she have a listen, i would complain to the practise manager. its not a great ask for her to have a listen, my midwide offered when i had my 16 week appointment.

what exactly did she do today and when did you last see her?

Thats not very fair :( Midwife listened to mine at 16 weeks no problem!

Aww thats rubbish :(

Im 20 weeks and the only thing Ive had is my weight taken, blood taken and my 12 week scan x

I have never seen her before! even though she is my community midwife, my first booking in appointment was at the hospital as she couldn't fit me in.

Said she would see me again at 28 weeks but no point as I have to go for further growth scans at the hospital so she will see me at 34 weeks! to be honest I don't think I will go back to see her again after today.

I only wanted her to have a lasten to put my mind at ease, but she refused and even wrote in my notes that that she refused my request. She asked what I would do if she couldn't hear the heartbeat and I said probably go to the hospital just to be on the safe side which she didn't seem impressed with.

I might ring the doctors tomorrow and complain.

i saw my midwife at 18 weeks and she checked babys HB without me asking. You have a right to ask and it doesnt take a minute to check does it? :hug:

That is out of order she could of at least tried like mine did but mine did say to me before hand dont worry if i dont find it as its still quite early
xx

What a mare! I would complain about it :evil:

That's very strange! Every appointment I've had from 16 weeks onwards, my Midwife has always listened to the baby's heartbeat, checked my urine sample, and done my blood pressure. I thought that was the main reason for going to see them!

I would ring your Doctor's and complain, there's no reason really why she couldn't have had a listen when you asked her to, and she should have checked BP & urine! :hug:

I find the lack of urine test in particular most bizarre, as I understand it pregnant women are always asked to wee - it is so routine in my area that I have been given a bottle to do it in advance.

Yeah I would question it to be honest.

Thats horrible treatment hun and i wouldnt stand for it.

They are meant to check your urine at EVERY appointment as it can tell so much.

Everytime I see someone (pregnancy related) I have to provide a urine sample and I find it quite worrying that shes not gonna bother now till 34 weeks??

Ive seen my midwife loads, as well as had (8) scans and seen numerous consultants. AND not forgetting the amount of times ive been to FAU - They have ALL checked my urine.

I would definitely call and complain - ask to see another midwife.

xxx

Jellybaby said:
I have never seen her before! even though she is my community midwife, my first booking in appointment was at the hospital as she couldn't fit me in.

Said she would see me again at 28 weeks but no point as I have to go for further growth scans at the hospital so she will see me at 34 weeks! to be honest I don't think I will go back to see her again after today.

I only wanted her to have a lasten to put my mind at ease, but she refused and even wrote in my notes that that she refused my request. She asked what I would do if she couldn't hear the heartbeat and I said probably go to the hospital just to be on the safe side which she didn't seem impressed with.

I might ring the doctors tomorrow and complain.
i would complain, she is totally out of order!, and i am pretty sure she would be able to find it, i have a doppler and record my baby once a week and find it easily, she is a proffessional and should be able to too, i know baby can lie funny or something and you may not be able to hear it, but she could have tried at least, it is her job, do complain, she is out of order. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Sounds out of order to me too, I can understand the hb thing as I think some places have a policy of not doing till a certain number of weeks to avoid scaring us, but there's no need to be that rude about it and she shoudl definitley have taken your bp and urine, otherwise what's the point of seeing her at all?!

I had a another MW at my 11 week appointment and I asked if she could try and she huffed and puffed and did it for about 30 seconds and when she couldn't find it she gave up! Then she didn't even put me at ease she just said I'll have to wait and see at my scan which was 4 days later.. It was only after coming on here and putting a post up that I felt assured that it was normal at that stage. If I hadn't I would have been in such a state for those 4 days..
Luckily my normal MW is lovely..

I would definitly see if you could change MW's as if I had to have the cover one I would have definitly changed! All she did was ask me how I was feeling , no weighing or blood pressure or checking my wee.
Good luck hunny!

:shock: i find this hard to believe was she just there to write notes then silly women id complain also if i where you.

Firstly, I have to say that there is no excuse whatsoever for being rude or adrupt with anyone, but I feel I must play Devil's Advocate. . . .

The 16 week appointment has only recently come in - it used to be that you got booked - had a 12 weeks scan, had your 20 week scan, and then saw your midwife again after that. However the guidelines changed last year, and it is now recommended that all first time Mum to be's have another appointment around 16 weeks. Which is much better really as the gap between booking and 20 weeks is so long. BUT - although these extra appointments were introduced, no extra midwives or clinics were provided to accomodate them, so the midwives just had to squeeze them into their already packed clinics.

It can be really difficult to hear a baby at 16 weeks - even for us professionals, and none of my colleagues would even try at 11 weeks as it is nigh on impossible. For every one we might hear, you would have 20 or so women disappointed and worried that we couldn't. This in turn increased the pressure on the Early Pregnancy Units, and could mean that women who are going through the heartbreak of a loss are kept waiting longer, or worst case scenario, not even seen. I offer women the chose at 16 weeks, but make it quite clear that there is only a 50:50 chance of my hearing it. It is horrible though when I can't hear it and I always wish I hadn't even tried.

You should ave had your urine and BP tested though - no rationale for why she didn't so that. And unless you look like you are losing weight or really putting loads on, you will not be weighed again in your pregnancy. The evidence shows that it doesn't help determine fetal growth, and for women who have had eating disorders it can be very triggering and it can be damaging to women's body image.

The system is far for perfect - and like I say, there is never any need for rudeness or abruptness. But the fact of the matter is, there aren't enough midwives to provide all women with the care they deserve during pregnancy, and in some areas the midwives are working under impossible conditions. You should complain whenever you get less than the care you should - the NHS is more reactive than proactive, and unless women do complain and make a big noise about the failings, nothing will ever change. The Government will say they haven't got the money, but is yours and your baby's health less important than the banking system?

Rant over, I'll get me coat.......

I'd ask for another midwife - you don't want someone with that attitude delivering your baby.
The practice shouldn't mind and if they do, change doctors practices.

At my 16wk appointment I had to provide wee sample (I've been given my own bottle now for this purpose), had my BP checked and the midwife found the heartbeat without me asking. I did feel that my appointment was a bit rushed though (about 10mins long) and I'd rather of had the chance to chat to her for a bit and ask more questions.

COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN, COMPLAIN!!!

Do you have a set of maternity notes yet? Mine have a chart at the front showing how many midwife meetings i will have throughout the pregnancy, which i think is 8 in total. Its incredibly important she checks blood pressure and your wee. They cant leave it until you 34 weeks!!! My midwife even wants to see me the week after my 20 week scan and listened to the heartbeat without me asking.

I know this sounds hormonal, but...WHAT A BITCH!!! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

You dont want her at your birth!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back