Recovery from episiotomy and 2nd degree tear

*CLAIREBEAR*

Reaction score
hello,i had my little boy four days ago and had to have an episiotomy i also got a 2nd degree tear. :? :eek:
to say "down below" is painful is an understatement :(
has anyone else had these procedures/tears from their births and if so how long can i expect the pain to be so bad for? :x :(
initially it was sore but now it feels swollen and extra sore,even my "back bum" feels sore and sitting down can be agony,i feel like im walking like ive been horse-riding,also the blood loss is also quite bad,when does this ease please?? :?

many thanks for any replies. :hug:

hi i havent got any advice on the tear but have u tried sitting on a childs blow up rubber ring they use for swimming? apparently they can easy the pain a bit while sitting.

hope ur not in pain for too long :hug: :hug:

:hug: :hug: Really sorry to hear your uncomfy hun. Have you tried sitting on a donut cushion, and having as many soaks in the bath as you can a day. Painkillers if your not breast feeding. Pour a jug of water over your bits as you have a wee to stop the stinging. And you could try Arnica 30 from boots for the swelling and bruising. The bleeding usually is pretty heavy for a week, just watch out for clots as big as your palm, if you get any phone midwife.

I don't know what else to suggest, but i hope you feel better soon.

Have as many baths as possible! The bath was a godsend in those early days! Arnica tablets are brill too and Lavender oil in the bath. My midwife told me to mix lavender oil with some milk otherwise it tends to sit on top of the water. I think after about 2 weeks I felt a lot better! I remember going out one day shopping and I felt like my bits were so heavy they were on the floor it was agony so I went home and jumped straight in the bath, such a relief! It does get a lot better though hun :hug:

I was told NOT to sit on a donut cushion as they push everything down and can cause more pain!

I was in pain for maybe 4 weeks or more (sorry to say). Keep a bottle near the toilet and fill it with warm water and pour it on yourself everytime you go to the loo as it'll help ease it a bit. Sit gently and use something to pull yourself up.

Put salt in the bath - helps healing. I also put some tea tree in the bath. Bath as often as you can.

You can try creams such as callendula but i'm allergic to it! You can also take arnica tablets which can help bruising.

I really sympathise with you, the stitches and tear/cut were the worst part of my labour/after experience by far. But it will get better xxx

Oooh and avoid drinking anything too acidic like apple juice as it'll make your wee sting you!

there was something i used but cant remeber the name right now.. it was fantastic.. recommended to me by a friend after i had eough of the pain.. i had epis and 2nd degree tear too so i know how u feel.

will have a think of waht it was i used.

I had an episiotomy and like you the pain got worse a couple of days after rather than being horrendous to start with. I was walking around sore but okay the day I had her but on day 3 it hurt to stand let alone anything else. Lavender oil in the bath helped loads - before Jessica had to go back into hospital I was having as many baths as possible. Just a few inches of water in the bottom with some oil in and sitting there for 10-15 minutes.

The pain was better by 2 weeks in that I wasn't feeling the need to take paracetamol AND ibuprofen every four hours! I still found it hard to stand for long or do much walking then but it was a much more 'normal' pain (of that makes sense?) and I felt I could start getting back to things like washing and ironing etc. I guess it was probably 3 weeks before it stopped hurting but it still doesn't 'feel' normal now - it doesn't hurt though.

The blood loss in the first couple of days astounded me. People had told me it would be like a heavy period but I've never had a period like it!! :shock: I told Neil I thought I had become incontinent (I'd had a catheter so was a bit paranoid anyway) as I could literally feel fluid gushing out but it was blood! :puke: After a week I'd say it became more like a period - I'm still bleeding now though and Jessica will be 6 weeks tomorrow. :doh:

Hi there, i also had an episiotomy.
I did not have pain, but rather a constant ache.
This lasted about 10 days, and then i started to feel much better.
Take it easy intially, and don't overdo it, or it makes it worse.

I took arnica tablets - bought from Holland and Barrett, and aslo bathed in lavender oil.

My bleeding was heavy for about a week, and stopped at about 4 weeks.
Initially i even had a big clot come out. This ok, but if you feel dizzy,abdominal pain, nausea etc contact your labour ward speak to a M.W. I phoned early hours of morning, and the staff were very kind.

If the pain is really bad and parecetemol does not help, talk to your G.P

I had the exact same. Arnica really does help. Lavender is also good for the swelling.

Stay off your feet as much as possible, you'll find that as the day goes on it gets worse :-(

Sorry to say but it took me a good six weeks to get better, much like a C-section

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

(and huge congrats, by the way!)

i had an epi and a 3rd degree tear , i never really found it painful just an odd kind of numbness like sitting on a hard chair for a long time IYKWIM, í found sitting to the side, rather than flat on your bottom helped and as others have said use lavender oil and i used tea tree as well in the bath.
i felt better after about 4 weeks and bled for about 6 weeks

I had a 2nd degree tear on the 5th of feb, this is my 2nd 2nd degree tear (lol!) and healing this time is alot faster... but it still friggen hurts.. pain should go about 4/5 weeks maybe.

1st time it took me ages to recover but this time i'm doing alot better.

Tips - put salt in your baths, dry thoroughly, if your having trouble going #2 for fear of it hurting ask midwife or doc for some lactalose (i think?) really helps.. plus it really isn't as bad as it seems. Everythings so itchy for me now :/ its horrible, but it does get better :) jst take your time when sitting down and treat the area extra nicely, plus painkillers are a godsend if things get too much, plus i bought femmepads from mothercare this time, haven't used them yet though - you stick them in the freezer, cover them in a wrap thing then sit on them xx

thanks everyone for the replies,it has given me hope that one day my "bits" may feel something like normal again.
the MW came today to check me and Adam over and she checked "down there",she said that she would not have thought i had the episiotomy done as it looked good and the midwife had done a good job! :oops:
i have looked myself and dont think it looks too pretty! i think its as its so swollen at the moment.

thanks again for the replies! :hug:

by the way do you use just normal salt???? :think: :doh:
if so how much???

thanks!!

I just remember having baths, baths and more baths! :lol: I also was given a rubber ring thing but it did kinda hurt more with it if I remember right!? :think: ( It was nearly 10 years ago now lol)
I think it was all better after about 2 weeks! :hug:

tea tree oil on your pad is a godsend!! I remember it really helped ease the discomfort. I had an episotomy! it will get better :hug: :hug: :hug:

It was hellish for about 2 weeks then really sore for another few weeks. The pain reduced lots each week after that and by 4 months I was pain free. You don't get told these things before do you?

The midwife used to ask if I had discomfort in my bottom. What on earth? As a health professional why couldn't she just use the words 'pain' and 'vagina'? I was really wound up when OH had his wisdom teeth taken out and the sheet the hospital gave him said he'd have pain for a week or something like that. So wisdom tooth = pain. Nether regions sliced open with scissors = discomfort. :evil:

thanks so much for your replies everyone! :hug:
well Adam is 8 days old today and i cannot say things down there feel any better :(
i am going to ask my midwife tomorrow if she can check me over as i have had a look and im not sure if one of my stitches has come out/broken or whatever they do but to me it looks like one may have :puke:
im hoping not as i dont really want anymore interference down there if possible! (at least til i can walk normally again! :lol: )

kalia said:
It was hellish for about 2 weeks then really sore for another few weeks. The pain reduced lots each week after that and by 4 months I was pain free. You don't get told these things before do you?

The midwife used to ask if I had discomfort in my bottom. What on earth? As a health professional why couldn't she just use the words 'pain' and 'vagina'? I was really wound up when OH had his wisdom teeth taken out and the sheet the hospital gave him said he'd have pain for a week or something like that. So wisdom tooth = pain. Nether regions sliced open with scissors = discomfort. :evil:

lol!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i'll laugh so i dont cry!!

Hey hun,

I too had an episiotomy and second degree like you.... it DOES get better I promise! My wound ended up with a superficial gape and I also got a wee infection in it too.... but I would say its feeling and looking tons better and thats after nearly 3 weeks..... so just give it time. :hug: :hug: :hug:

lots of salt baths, I had 2-3 mini dips a day, just used normal salt! A little sprinkling up and down the bath and that was it! Also..... like the others have said, pour warm water after or while peeing. I took to semi standing while peeing to stop any stinging then rinsing with warm water! Also keeps it nice and clean!

Hope its feeling better for you soon hun :hug: :hug: :hug:

lisaspoon said:
Hey hun,

I too had an episiotomy and second degree like you.... it DOES get better I promise! My wound ended up with a superficial gape and I also got a wee infection in it too.... but I would say its feeling and looking tons better and thats after nearly 3 weeks..... so just give it time. :hug: :hug: :hug:

lots of salt baths, I had 2-3 mini dips a day, just used normal salt! A little sprinkling up and down the bath and that was it! Also..... like the others have said, pour warm water after or while peeing. I took to semi standing while peeing to stop any stinging then rinsing with warm water! Also keeps it nice and clean!

hi hun,
thanks for the reply :hug: :hug: and for giving me hope it will get better,i just feel so sore at the moment and its getting me down as i cannot walk for long and even struggle to change LO'S nappy sometimes as getting down to his changing mat feels like im splitting in two :(
i have not tried salt yet as was not sure how much to use but wil try it now,does it really sting???
i also stand and bend forward to pee as it burns and hurts! :eek:
going for a poo :oops: is not a pleasant experience either as i worry that will hurt me too! :(

Hi ya

I had a 3rd degree tear, so I can understand completely what pain was like. Lots of things already suggested really did help me. You said you're struggling to change LO nappies, have you got a changing station you can use rather than having to put the mat on the floor. We borrowed one from SIL, it was an absolute god send. It was one of those with a bath under it, so saved me having to bend when I changed and bathed him. A bit like this one http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... TATION.htm you can always try and get one off e-bay.

Without being too :oops: Does it hurt when you go for a poo? I was given a laxative solution when I left hospital, it helped me to go and they weren't hard :oops: :oops: :oops:

Just try and keep the area as clean as possible. Unfortunately the pain for me lasted quite a long time as I developed piles :oops: during the last stage of pregnancy and these have only really settled down now. Having had surgery and countless trips to hospital!!!

OMG this has been quite an embarrassing post!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

*CLAIREBEAR* said:
lisaspoon said:
Hey hun,

hi hun,
thanks for the reply :hug: :hug: and for giving me hope it will get better,i just feel so sore at the moment and its getting me down as i cannot walk for long and even struggle to change LO'S nappy sometimes as getting down to his changing mat feels like im splitting in two :(
i have not tried salt yet as was not sure how much to use but wil try it now,does it really sting???
i also stand and bend forward to pee as it burns and hurts! :eek:
going for a poo :oops: is not a pleasant experience either as i worry that will hurt me too! :(

Yep to all the above.... I couldn't stand for longer than 5mins as I thought everything was going to fall out! Pelvic floor exercises make all the difference.... I did them everytime it crossed my mind that I could possibly wet myself! Did the trick to make me do them!!
You would think the salt baths would sting but they dont!!! Its actually rather nice!!
The first poo is scary! But always worse than you think....just make sure you're drinking lots of fluid to make things flow better and so you're not straining...
Did you get given lactulose? I got given that because I had stitches, to avoid any straining. One dose cleared me out! :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back