2nd Baby - third degree tear?

Fluffy Bunny

Reaction score
I gave birth to Evie at my wonderful midwife run birth centre. It is a small, lovely, relaxed place, 5 mins down the road from me and the two labour suites have birthing pools which I found invaluable last time. Unfortunately, during the birth I suffered a third degree tear, tbh I didn't really notice it and didn't get distressed when they told me - I was more upset that I had to transfer to the main hospital to be stitched up.

Anyway, at my booking in appointment (at the birth centre) my midwife told me I would not be allowed to go to the birth centre this time because of my previous third degree tear. I'm really peeed about this for a number of reasons...
i) the birth centre is 5 mins away, the main hospital is 45mins away
ii) I have horrible memories of the 10ish hours I spent at the main hosp being stitched up last time ie felt I was in a production line, didn't see the same member off staff more than once, was told to give up trying to BF and to start formula, it was DIRTY beyond belief
iii) I want a water birth again (would like to actually try and give birth under water this time)

I know exactly why I tore last time, I was really out of it on G&A and wasn't listening to anyone, this time I will tell my OH to take it off me (though he will probably have to run afterwards :) ) I am quite weak willed and would probably end up having an epidural if in hosp (which I really don't want) - I can't have it at the birth centre so know I just have to get on with it (iykwim!)

My midwife is also pretty :roll: about these 'rules', she said the chances of me tearing again are 2% (so low) and would happily help me birth at the centre if she was allowed

What I don't get is that I WOULD be considered for a home birth (wtf :shock: ) I've told my midwife this will be my desired option.

The point of this post (thanks for reading this far :D ) is I am going to see my consultant at the main hosp in a few weeks and want to push to be allowed to use the birth centre. I'm doing a bit of research on subsequent tearing to shove under his nose and want to get poll you ladies.
So the question is, if you have had one child and suffered at least a third degree tear first time round did you tear badly (third or fourth degree tear) in subsequent pregnancies?

I had an episiotomy and several 3rd degree tears with Tia... I was sewn up in theatre too and as the consultant said.. He'd make me like a virgin again. :rotfl:

With lil miss I had one tiny tear at my urethra...and you know what... It hurt 1000x's more than all the damage that was done with Tia.. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

sadly I had another third degree, and with my third I had the urethra tear as well. I was HORRIFIC Squig I know how you felt! They said that with number two it was because she came only one year later, so it all just opened up again despite episiotomy. With number three is was sheer bad luck. He went back to back at the last minute :( :(

I'm wondering about this too for my sister

She had a 3rd degree tear with her DS (he's 2 and a half now) and she's now 20 weeks pregnant

She's got a consultant appointment about it soon I think

Bee said:

She had a 3rd degree tear with her DS (he's 2 and a half now) and she's now 20 weeks pregnant

What does she want to do? The thing is, as I see it, there is no risk to the baby, the risk is IF I tear badly again that I may need a transfusion and/ or be close to theatre to be stitched up again. However, it took them 2hours to get theatre ready last time and if its such a risk why am I allowed the option of a homebirth????

Let me know how she gets on/ what she decides :D

with my first i didnt tear at all with my second i tore and burst a blood vessal

Fluffy Bunny said:
Bee said:

What does she want to do? The thing is, as I see it, there is no risk to the baby, the risk is IF I tear badly again that I may need a transfusion and/ or be close to theatre to be stitched up again. However, it took them 2hours to get theatre ready last time and if its such a risk why am I allowed the option of a homebirth????

Let me know how she gets on/ what she decides :D

I don't have a clue what the options are yet - she hasn't had her appointment. Her DS was big (9lbs6oz) so there could be a problem if this one is too I think.

I'll let u know though ;)

I didn't tear with Isaac, my first birth, but had an episiotimy, and with Ophelia, my second birth, I had a tiny tear which required nothing as it was so small, that doesn't help your question but wanted to mention it and mainly say very best wishes, its crazy what rules the birthing centres have considering those of homebirth, I really, really hope they give you the OK for the midwife lead unit :pray: :hug: and I did LOL at your suggestion OH would have to run after taking G&A away from you, bless :lol: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I had an episiotomy and a 3rd degree tear with my first, with my second a smaller tear, (1st or 2cd degree!? :think: Cannot remember lol needed a few stitches but nothing like when I had Joseph) with my third I tore again worse than Dillon but didnt have the episiotomy like with Joseph so not as many stitches!?
Wow shows you how pregnany affects your brain! I remember not long ago posting about what tears etc I had and I remembered each one hahaha now I can only remember vaguely?! Ask me again after I have this babs and my brains working again!! hahaha :lol:

I didnt know that if you had had a 3rd degree tear your kinda high risk? :think: Thats daft!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back