Reception reading books

number2

Reaction score
Hi girls,

Alex is starting school in September, and is absolutely ready to read, he knows quite a few words by sight, and learns new ones easily. I've got the Jolly Phonics series as I know they use that in schools, just wondering what your LO's are bringing home to read?

Is there a series they have? I remember Roger Red Hat, but think he's long gone now!

My girls mainly bring home chip and biff books.

Thank you for replying! Yes, think they are the Oxford Reading Tree series, I found them in Waterstones today. They look brilliant, Im just off to Amazon to buy a set!

I attended a meeting last week in my sons school and this year the curriculum in my area is being slowed right down as seemingly its been proven that 4/5 year olds aren't ready for as much as they were doing :eh: They use to get 60+ words whereas now they'll only get 15 and they will get more wordless books to begin with :)

My daughter is 5 and had Biff & Chip, but now they are getting harder. She starts Year 1 in September and is already bringing home books with up to 16 pages and with a couple of paragraphs per page. They are HF words and that way she sees them a lot and gets used to them.
When we asked what books to get we were told 'any!', just encourage her to read - even if it's a leaflet.

my little boy had action words to start of with 50 words we use most when reading he had to lern the word and the action to go with it, at first I was like i dunno how this would work but it really did after couple of months he knew all 50, He go's into year1 in sept and has been bringing biff and chip home for a wile now.

they do a lot of listening work with the jolly phonics too, like "which one says 'ch'?" etc... thats really good for them to practise. Be careful you dont cover everything before he starts, he might get realy bored with school! Maybe have some different books too for fun reading at home. Sounds like hes gonna be a clever one though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back