***Recalled teether ***

Urchin

Reaction score
I was looking for this teether everywhere as I have seen them around and decided to get one...now I've found out they have been recalled due to low water quality inside them.
The liquid inside the teethers may contain pseudomonas aeruginosa and pseudomonas putida which can cause serious illness in children if the teether is punctured and the liquid from the teether is ingested.
:shock:

1474.jpg

few other kinds of recalled teether here:

http://www.thefirstyears.com/customerSe ... recall.asp

Blimey, its a bit scary. Shame as that is a cute teether. Thanks for the info x

hi

Thanks Urchin so much i bought this months before Kiara was due and i got the whinnie the pooh one cuz i love whinnie the pooh.
Im gonna return it for a new one.
Katrina

*saulino* said:
hi

Thanks Urchin so much i bought this months before Kiara was due and i got the whinnie the pooh one cuz i love whinnie the pooh.
Im gonna return it for a new one.
Katrina

Phew! Glad to be of help :)

I really like the one shown above....even went on a mission to boots, mothercare etc etc...finally in John Lewis I asked if they had any and they told me it had been recalled.

Hi

I was goin through all my baby toys and i found the one you werelooking for as well someone gave it to me for a gift i guess, its funny cuz you get so much you forget what you have. Thats too bad though cuz they are too cute hope we can find another goodone.
Katrina

I think maybe if you send it to them you'll get a replacement one the same...surely they can just make sure the water is good quality and that'll be the end of it.
I'd still get one when they go back on the shelves.

Hi

oh i never thought of that oh i hope so then i wont have to buy another one i didnt realize they were still makin the same ones.
Katrina

Grrrrrr

Went to 3 different shops to get one of these today instead:

xdlttpgummyteetherl_pink.jpg

It's a bit like a dummy but it is gum-shaped inside so they can bite on it when teething.
Anyway...3 shops THEN I find out they are discontinued!
Eventually got the last one from Sainsburies YAY!

Hi

Oh my what an adventure for a teething ring.
Just sent mine back on friday.
Katrina

Thats good.... please can you let me know if you get one the same in return? I'd still want one when they sort out the water thing. I'd HAVE to get it from John Lewis though as I would trust that it's new stock as they were the ones that told me about it.

hi

didnt you say they were discontinued?? im confused :?
katrina

they were recalled (the tomme tippee one that looks like a dummy has been discontinued)
Maybe when they put nice water in the round ones again they'll be back on sale.

HI

oh lol i get it haha sorry :oops:
I hope so too i love them i will let you know though.
Katrina :D

Hi Urchin

Here are the replacement teethers i got in today

DSCF0020.jpg

definetly not the same its too bad i wanted new ones of the water ones.
but just thought ide let you know what they gave me back.
Katrina xxxx

Hey thanks for that, they look nice but you're right, they're not the water filled kind!.
I'm going to keep my eyes open and will let you know if I see the water one back in the shops again.

Hi

ya there okay , i already had the whole set of the whinnie the pooh ones though lol a little obsessed.
Well hopefully one of us will find them.. oh i hope so .
Katrina

I looked up that bacterium and this is what I found... :shock:

These bacteria are common inhabitants of soil and water. They occur regularly on the surfaces of plants and occassionally on the surfaces of animals. The pseudomonads are well known to plant microbiologists because they are one of the few groups of bacteria that are true pathogens of plants. In fact, Pseudomonas aeruginosa is occasionally a pathogen of plants. But Pseudomonas aeruginosa and two former Pseudomonas species (now reclassified as Burkholderia) are pathogens of humans. A general treatment of the pseudomonads is presented in The Genus Pseudomonas . This chapter deals specifically with Pseudomonas aeruginosa as a pathogen of humans.

Pseudomonas aeruginosa is an opportunistic pathogen, meaning that it exploits some break in the host defenses to initiate an infection. It causes urinary tract infections, respiratory system infections, dermatitis, soft tissue infections, bacteremia, bone and joint infections, gastrointestinal infections and a variety of systemic infections, particularly in patients with severe burns and in cancer and AIDS patients who are immunosuppressed. Pseudomonas aeruginosa infection is a serious problem in patients hospitalized with cancer, cystic fibrosis, and burns. The case fatality rate in these patients is 50 percent.

Wow serious stuff. I wonder if there were animals or plants around the tanks the water was in?

Sue

urchin said:
liquid inside the teethers may contain pseudomonas aeruginosa and pseudomonas putida which can cause serious illness in children if the teether is punctured and the liquid from the teether is ingested.
:shock:

[/quote]

what happened to putting water inside these things. I assumed thats what was in a teether.

Exactly laura - i mean that the tanks that held the water that was to go into the teethers - was that the origin of the bacteria? If so are ANY water filled teethers to be trusted?
*paranoid*

Sue

Hi

I know what you mean about not trusting them now you think they would do these tests before sending them out :roll:
Well guess its our own judgement now.
Katrina

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back