Artificial Christmas Trees- Heads Up

Tiny Sue

Reaction score
:shock:

I googled around a bit about the safety issues of both types of tree with a baby in the house and this is what I found...

Question: Are Christmas tree lights covered in lead — and are they hazardous? I am not normally paranoid, but I just read an article on how the presents under the Christmas tree get covered in lead dust …

Christine Climer replies: The wires of many electrical devices, including Christmas lights, are insulated inside a plastic (PVC) coating. Some sort of stabilizer must be added to the PVC so that it will be heat resistant. PVC stabilizers commonly include metals such as lead, cadmium and tin.

The concern with these Christmas lights is that the lead will leech out of the PVC and be deposited on your hands while you are decorating. Lights containing lead that are sold in California must carry a Proposition 65 warning label, but those sold elsewhere contain no warnings. Lights manufactured in the United States are less likely to contain lead.

Do not allow your children to handle Christmas lights. Wash your hands thoroughly after handling them yourself.
You should also be aware that those Christmas lights aren’t the only things to be cautious about when selecting your holiday decor. Artificial Christmas trees made of PVC also contain stabilizers.

Researchers at the Environmental Quality Institute at the University of North Carolina-Asheville have found that some PVC trees release lead dust into the air and onto the ground and presents underneath the tree. Your children can breathe the dust and contaminate their hands while touching the ground or unwrapping gifts. As we all know, lead exposure is of particular concern during childhood.

:shock:

Sue

Oh for goodness sake!!!

I know it's good to be aware of these things, but makes me wonder how me - a child of the 70's - ever made it this far.

Can't we just enjoy our christmas trees in peace.

Sorry Tiny Sue - my rant is not at you, but at the people who put this stuff on the internet in the first place.

Lead dust off fairy lights!!!!! Whatever next!!!!!

delmesgirl said:
:wink: I know it's good to be aware of these things, but makes me wonder how me - a child of the 70's - ever made it this far.
Maybe that's why all the 30 somethings on here are complete nutters - me being the exception of course :wink:

aaww flippin heck... :wall:

everything has side effects... a baby could choke and die.. will u not feed her?

look at the queens mother.. look how long she lived for.. she was born in a time where everything was 'wild'

...then the media say kids of today are 'soft'..

i wonder why? :roll:

obv u wudnt let ur child pull the tree down on herself or put a bulb in her mouth but my gosh! :roll:

where i work, we're not allowed a kettle incase we burn ourselves and have to get hot water from the drinks machine instead.
how do i manage every day at home with the kettle?????
:wall: :wall: :wall:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
aww, sorry tiny sue.
nothing personal - think you got me on one of my hormonal days!!!!
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Only in America :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I once saw a forum (American of course) where mums were discussing their concerns about people touching their baby and passing on their germs, and then someone else pointed them in the direction of a website which sold SIGNS that you attach to prams saying 'Please do not touch my baby' :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

the strange thing is I have a lot of close relatives who are American and they are nothing like that! So it's not the majority but when you read cr*p like that you just assume it's all Americans in a world gone mad and it's not the case!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back