Really struggling with his constant moaning/whinging

ceebee

Reaction score
Harry has always been a bit of a grumpster, but the last few weeks it's got so bad. (He's 7 and 1/2 months now) I know it's just a phase and he's probably teething or just frustrated that he can't do everything he wants but I'm struggling to cope with how grumpy he is virtually all the time.

I play with him, sing to him, buy him new toys, do everything I can think of and he's still not happy. All that seems to make him stop moaning is watching tv which I let him do some of the time but don't want him to do it all the time or being carried around the house. As some of you know I have health issues and I just don't have the energy to do this. He's a bit better when we're out but again I can't be out for that long as I'm very fatigued. Even his jumperoo doesn't seem to work most of the time.

Sometimes I just want to yell why can't you just be happy?! Just stop your bloody moaning! I feel really bad for thinking this but I've just got a lot of stress on at the moment in other areas of my life and this is just making everything worse...

Just a rant really, but any words of encouragement would be appreciated xxx

Oh dear lovey, big hugs. I don't really have much advice as I think like you said it could be teething, or a leap maybe? It does get really difficult I know as Finn is the same! Don't think there's much difference between the two boys. Finn's 8 and a half months. Finn just wants mummy all day and if I sit and play, sing, try to entertain or anything he just wants to be on me! Daddy gets much more happiness from him than I do!

Could he be tired? Is he happier after a nap?x

I don't think there is much you can do really :(
Amelie goes through phases like that and nth that I do pleases her.
Do you have an iPad?
There are a whole bunch on fisher price applications (free) that you can download.
I find this better than tv (we don't do tv anyway) as she has to be active with it like touch the animals or a corner of the screen to run the pages etc.
It never fails to make her happy and keep her entertained and busy while she gets to do sth too rather than just watch things happening like on a tv.
Sth else that we use when she is too unhappy is to her her to a light switch and then she has fun turning the light on and off (or you can do it)

Treasure box we do every so often. Get a whatever box/plastic container/basket swallow enough so they can see inside and feel of with household items.
A wooden brush, a toilet paper role, a wooden spoon, a plastic cup, sticky notes, a washed whole orange, a small pan and show him how to bang on it with the wooden spoon etc. then put everything in the box and near him and let him use fun exploring.

As I always said do whatever you have to do to get through the tough days.
If tv keeps him happy then no harm of that for the very tough days.

Ethan has been like this since he was about 8 months (he's now nearly 10 months). It has got better though now he can crawl and walk with his push along walker, so I think a lot of it was down to frustration that he couldn't move! I'm not gonna lie, he's still like it most days, but it's definitely easier now.
Hopes idea of the treasure box is good! Ethan has more toys than bloody toys r us but he's not interested in any of them! Give him a pan with a wooden spoon and loads of random household stuff and he's well away (for all of 15mins!). He's a very active baby so I just switch all of his activities round constantly during the day.

Xx

Jack went through this and it was hell! I'm not the most patient person! I used to put him in his cot with some toys and leave the room just for some peace for 10 minutes! Sometimes he whinged himself to sleep even if he wasn't due a nap.
As for toys, I found old crap seemed to work for the longest, empty biscuit boxes, empty coke bottles, toilet rolls. As did my keys and my phone. He's got a toy version of a phone and keys but prefers the real deal. Showing him pics of family on the iPad kept him quiet too xxx

Oh Hun you poor thing!

How often do you get out and about? He might just have cabin fever? I know if I am on the 2nd day of being indoors (usually when weather pants) Freya is a little grumpier

Maybe you could get someone to take him out one afternoon a week? Or find a baby club where you can sit? (My one has sofas and tables and chairs so Mums can relax with a coffee)

Or maybe even play in different rooms? I have a mirror on the floor of the nursery and we go through and sit in front of it and sing songs that have actions or just make faces and tickle!
And after some nap times I take her onto our bed and we have a wee play for a while

It's just a change of scene for them? X

Toby is the same, he's always been a grumper or a shouter. He gets frustrated very quickly. I've found changing things round for him after 10 mins for him helps, so we'll play on the floor Together, then he'll go in his walker, then his activity centre/playmat then we'll play peepo, then his high hair abs he'll watch me wash up or cook whilst I sing very badly, then I'll dance like a loon in front if him.

He also us happier when he's playing with things that aren't obviously toys for him, but are safe for him to play with, such as Tupperware pots, his toothbrush,a book, one of my scarfs etched etc.

I'm sure your little one will be happier once he's a bit more mobile but mixing it up has really helped me.
Xx

Thanks for the suggestions ladies :) it does help. Mrs Wibbly he could well be tired as he won't nap for long in the day, but not sure what I can do about that. Even when we're out he'll often only have 30 mins nap! Monkey!

I really like the treasure box idea - will definitely do that as he's always interested in everything else apart from his toys. Kittyrooroo you made me laugh about the 'old crap works best' lol! Unfortunately we don't have an ipad Hope.

Lynds I do have a lot of help and he usually gets out at least once a day but think the change of scene idea is a good one - will see what I can do.

Think it's just when I'm feeling really crappy myself that it's harder to deal with. I'm hoping he will improve when he's a bit more independant like some of you say... Thank you again :) xxxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back