really crappy midwife appointment!

eightball

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Really sorry but I'm on here to rant about my booking appointment I just got back from......

On the way there I wasn't feeling in the best mood for it - mostly dreading the blood tests, but just thinking if she can have a feel around my womb/pelvis area and give me some reassurance that everything is where it should be it'd be ok. And it was my first chance to ask about these weird scratchy pains I can get occasionally in my womb when I'm walking sometimes.
I'm going to try and be concise about the problems with the appointment to try and contain my ranting so here goes:-
1: She didn't realise I was waiting in the waiting room for 20 minutes
2: She spent the first 10 minutes of the appointment moving cardboard boxes around, searching for my labels and ignoring me.
3: She ticked the yes/no boxes before I even spoke while going through the medical history questions, like she was on auto pilot.
4. She really sneered at me when I told her I'd had a private scan, she was really obviously disapproving.
5: (Important one) She never once asked me how I've been feeling or if I've had any problems/bleeds.
6: She didn't take my blood, but told me to go to the hospital sometime and get them done there.
7: She told me that I wouldn't get a nuchal scan because I was under 35, that's totally fine, but then she started talking about how it's a shame because she's known "22, 23 year olds carrying downs babies" - thanks for that gem of information.
8: Right at the end, after I realised she was never going to ask if everything was ok I told her about my pains and she looked at me like I was crazy. Then she started talking about loosened ligament pain and pointing at her elbow and stuff. And this was the worst bit, because I was trying not to burst into tears while explaining that the pains are scratchy and most definately in my womb and she said something about how I'm so early on in pregnancy now, and really emphasised how early on it was, like 'anything could go wrong' there's no point in talking about it until your next appointment in six weeks. It really sounded like 'lets see if you're still pregnant in 6 weeks, then I'll think about doing something about it' (p.s. if anyone else has this scratchy pain let me know because it's freaking me out).

I was crying before I even got out of the surgery.

One good thing though and for this I'm so relieved, I'm moving in two months so I'll be miles away from her when I (hopefully) have this baby.

*phew* rant over, I'm glad I got that off my chest.

I hope everyone else's booking appointment is much nicer!

Oh eightball, I'm so sorry to hear about your rubbish appointment. It's said on here so much, but sometime midwives can be very clinical and not very caring and pushed for time and they come across really badly. There are some lovely ones too though.

I'm so glad to hear that she won't be delivering your baby, doing any more intimate examinations or continuing with your care - she sounds awful.

Have you considered listing your concerns as above and putting them into an official complaint - just about her attitude and assumptions?

Lots of love

Valentine xxx

Aw hun I am sorry it went so badly for you there really is no need for them to treat us so badly afterall its meant to be the caring profession. Well all I can say is roll on 2 months and you'll be outa there and miles away from her.

Hi There,

Sorry to hear about your bad midwife experience, my first antenatal appointment with my GP last year was exactly the same, she was so vile I felt like she was talking to me as if I was some naughty little girl who should have known better than to get pregnant!! (I am not btw, and the pregnancy was planned) needless to say, I left her office in floods of tears and suffered a miscarriage four days later!! This time round (i am eight weeks) I decided to take my partner with me as there was no other doctor available at the surgery and he completely agreed that she was totally out of line with some of the things she said!!!
Anyway, what I am trying to say in my own long-winded way is please do not let her worry you so much that you let yourself get stressed out, I am sure you will get a lovely midwife when you move!!

Lots of luck,

Evie x

what a bitch!! I know from my first pregnancy thought that i got upset you dont get midwife advice till after 12 weeks. If fact I had been in and out hospital last time before i even got to see a midwife.

cant belive your 12 weeks and she is saying that!! you have a fully formed baby now!! bitch xxxx

hi hun so sorry this was your experience but your not alone. my doctor told me to bok an appointment with the midwife and when i did i was 6 weeks she handed me a green pregnancy booklet that is supposed to hold all your info and said she did not have time to do any history with me. she booked me a scan and said come back when the scan shows everything is fine!!!! i have previously had a missed m/c and have got 1 little girl but she didnt even ask me, i dont have a contact number for her and she didnt even giv me the EPU number. i had some brown discharge in week 7 and phoned epu who told me evrythin should b ok but when she went to see my sister (whos just had her baby) my sis told her about it and she sed she is worrying about nothing. its like we dont exist until a scan confirms everythings ok. my last midwife was really nice and sent me for an early scan and checked for babies heart beat when she cud, that was 4 yrs ago and i cant help thinking that midwifes are like this because of the nhs cuts!!! as for your pains i have like little pins and needles type pains down 1 side of my abdomen is this the same as what u are getting? xxxxxxxxxxx

hey,
thanks all for your replies, she was very weird and, yeah, for a caring profession - quite uncaring.

I do think it must be due to their workload. It seems like the push back seeing pregnant women until statistics show that the pregnancy is through the worst. I can see in a cold, number crunching way how this makes sense, why spend hours booking in women at 5-6 weeks when there's a bigger chance something will go wrong and in there eyes it'll be a 'waste of time'. But that's no use to us that could really use some advice from them through the first 12 weeks.

As for my pains, they only happen occasionally when walking, right in my womb and if I change my posture it can go away. And it's more of a scratching sensation than a pain, kind of uncomfortable. Yesterday I had it on my way home, and it felt right by my cervix so I just jumped in a taxi, but it's going to get expensive if I do that too much!

sorry your m/w was awful...good thing you are moving by the sounds of it.

For reassurance the risk of m/c drops signififcantly at 12 weeks so try not to worry. i certainly worried a lot less once i went to tri 2.

I have read other people talk about the scratching and am sure it was in tri 3.

I have my blood took at the hosp but to be honest you are better off these people take blood all day long so are very skilled at it.

hope you can put it all behind you

Hi, I am 10 weeks pregnant and have had stretchy pains in my womb area ever since I found out I was pregnant - my GP said it is fairly normal. Sorry to hear that you had an unfeeling midwife. I havent got my MW appt until after my scan which is in 12 days now so havent had chance to talk things over at all! It is a bit worrying when you hear the bad press about midwives, but I guess if you have no expectations you can only be pleasantly surprised. It might be a good idea to complain to the surgery as was suggested just so they are aware and can they and change things - not easy though . .

Silly bitch!!!
You get the bad ones --just take a deep breath and think 'well your life must be pretty crappy if you are this miserable in your job' :wink:
I have seen so many midwifes sice Issac arrived and they all tell different tales-- about 80 % are lovely--- the other 20 % :x
jocy

Aww eightball - what a bitch!! Please don't let her get to you.

BTW - wow can't believe you're 12 weeks already!! Hope it goes that fast for me xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back