Real Nappies

monster_munch

Reaction score
OK so I am sick of disposables but DH is 10 million % against real nappies as he thinks there will be shit in the washing machine etc (I've explained to him that you can use liners which you can throw away but he doesn't seem to take in that info!) Anyway, I'm going to try it without him knowing but what do I need?? Obviously there's the fleecey outers and the liners I just mentionned but what's the inbetween bit?? and more to the point where can I get (relatively) cheap ones to try??

Muchos Info appreciated :)
I'm a real nappy newbie so anything will be of use

ok.. well il try and condence it for you lol..

there are loads of different type, i make and sell shapped nappys and covers right now.. these are the easiest nappys to use imo (and ive used loads) the nappys themselves are usually towelling material, cotton,bamboo or terry they go on like a disposable nappy and fasten with either velcro plastic poppers or a nappy nipper (a peice of plastic used instead of nappy pins) then you need a cover which is waterproof (PUL) or water resisten fleece or wool.

you dont NEED a liner, you rince the poo off (with the shower if it can reach or flush the loo over the nappy) or shake the poo out down the loo if you use a disposable liner you just chuck it away.. fleece liner u shake and rince..

put the nappy in the nappy pale and wait til wash day..

wash day.. empty pale into washign machien and set to a prewash (i use cool woolen wash as my prewash) with no detergent, after that prewash put half the normal amount of detergent no fabric softner) in and wash between 40-60 degrees, peg out radiator dry or tumble..

theres never any poo in the machine, you rince that away to begin with.

if you take a look at my site ive got wash tips etc on there.. and some usefull info to sway hubby.. the environment and how much you save in money on the homepage at the bottom..if you need any info at all just pm me.. im happy to answer any questions.

EDIT to add.. you can buy used nappys for about £5 each.. and new usually retail at around £7.50-£8.00ish depends what type you get really..

ooo htought of a question - do you have to buy different sizes as they grow like disposables or is there a one size fits (almost) all type??

you can get one size.. but i knwo that people say the once sized tend to not be big enough and they end up buying the bigger sized later anyway

nappies come in newborn - size 0 size 1,2 and 3 size 1 is from 8-20lb usually up to 6 months, size 2 is up to 20-35lb size 3 35lb+

size 3 is toddler sized.. so you will need to renew your looking at spending on big branded nappy aobut £300 all in all..shop around though and you might find some bargains

Thank you again :D

Will start looking around and will definitely take a look at your site :hug:

My husband was very anti- reusable nappies- he thought they would be a hassle, that they wouldn't be as good as disposables and that there would be stinky buckets of soiled nappies soaking all over the house- how wrong he was! We were given a £45 voucher from our local council to try real nappies and were visited by a Lollipop representative who showed us a massive range of nappies. We went for Bum Genius nappies which are expensive at £14 each but they are one size (from 7lb) so will last my LO until she is potty trained. They are pouch nappies so no wraps are needed andthey are not too bulky. They are as close to a disposable in how you use them as a reusable nappy can be - my husband has become a total convert!

I bought 20 nappies and use about 5-6 in every 24 hour period. They wash really well and dry quickly- they last up to 10 hours (night time) and are in nice bright colours. I wash every other day roughly and as long as the lid is on the nappy bucket- no smells!

For more detailed information that is more relevant to you I would search the web for a real nappy rep in your area they will show you and you OH the nappies and discuss any benefits or drawbacks of each type.

my OH is against them too. when i told him they take about 250 years to biodegrate he said he didnt care cos he wont be around then and everyone else will be living on a different planet, or on a spaceship :roll:

Im actually thinking about my ladies bottom into cloth becuase we dont really use a lot of nappies during the day so was thinking aybe i could cloth her and just use a disposible at night, would save some money initialy.

Maybe a i could buy just a couple and see what there like?

yeah you should.. you can always sell them on if you dont use or dont get on with them..

mrs_tommo22 said:
Im actually thinking about my ladies bottom into cloth becuase we dont really use a lot of nappies during the day so was thinking aybe i could cloth her and just use a disposible at night, would save some money initialy.

mrst - I would give these a try if you just want to buy one or two. This is a shaped bamboo nappy with a seperate booster. I am trying out different ones before I bulk buy some size 2 nappies, and I LOVE these. Very very soft (no need to tumble), pink!!!!! and just gorgeous - you'll want to show them off!

You'll also need a wrap but you'll be able to pick one up cheaply on eBay.

Give me a shout if you want a hand with any nappy picking! Are you thinking shaped or all in one or prefold?

Valentine Xxx

We put the nappies in the washing machine covered in poo. Breast fed poo is very runny so we can't just shake the poo down the loo and a lot goes through diposible liners. The poo washes off perfectly.

We still use the disposible liners - we get the spunlace ones from Natural Baby Shower because they don't charge postage so you can just buy one roll if you need to without the price doubling because of postage. The liners are really soft and comfortable (I wore one for a while to make sure :oops: ) I'm glad we found them as a lot of disposible liners feel like paper.

They are really easy to use, you just have to put on 2 nappies (well, a nappy and a wrap) instead of one. And what's another 3 or 4 loads of washing a week when you're already washing so much?

valentine said:
mrs_tommo22 said:

mrst - I would give these a try if you just want to buy one or two. This is a shaped bamboo nappy with a seperate booster. I am trying out different ones before I bulk buy some size 2 nappies, and I LOVE these. Very very soft (no need to tumble), pink!!!!! and just gorgeous - you'll want to show them off!

You'll also need a wrap but you'll be able to pick one up cheaply on eBay.

Give me a shout if you want a hand with any nappy picking! Are you thinking shaped or all in one or prefold?

Valentine Xxx

Hi Valentine, thank you o much for posting that link, ive just bought two pink shaped nappies as recommended.Now what else do i need to go with them!

i use bambino mio nappies and i get on with them great :D wash them every 5 days or so but soak them in a pail once used. no poo gets in the washing machine!! i do them with hubbys cricket whites.
i got birth to potty pack at babies r us, cost £99 then got a few more covers on ebay when they were on offer. i got £25 from my local council - all differ. some get £75 back.

one great incentive apart from cost and environment, babies dont get nappy rash with them. the liner you use has something in it to prevent it.
when i travel anywhere i use disposables or nasties as i call them, i can tell with rhiannons bottom.

answer to above post, you need a cloth liner then you can have a liner if you want.

mothercare do a few trial packs, they do a few makes. then you can see which ones you get on with.

i love them and have used them sincw rhiannnons umbilical clamp thing fell off. :D 8)

I've been thinking about changing DD to cloth as well but don't really know if it's worth doing it with her being over 9 months now?

It also looks really confusing and hard work.

What do you do when you go out for the day? :think:

Lola's Mummy said:
I've been thinking about changing DD to cloth as well but don't really know if it's worth doing it with her being over 9 months now?

It also looks really confusing and hard work.

What do you do when you go out for the day? :think:

Hi Lolas Mummy,

Its the perfect time. Your DD will fit well into size 2 nappies (18lb+) and you won't need to buy any size 1s. Its well worth it, I think, at this stage still.

I don't find it hard work. Yes, you have to wash the nappies, but it really doesn't take more than 5/10 minutes a day to wash, hang out to dry and fold nappies.

I searched for an old thread I'd replied to as I'd written a big long explanation of all the types of reusable nappies - have a read of this.

When we go out for the day or afternoon, I take a couple of spare nappies all made up each together with a fleece and disposable liner, and a spare wrap as well as a couple of disposables just in case. I also take a wet bag, which is just a fleece bag with a waterproof inner. When I change DD, I take off the flushable liner to be flushed or put in the bin with the dirty wipes, and I put the dirty nappy straight into the wet bag and take it home to add to my nappy bucket of nappies to be washed. If she's pooed, I may have to scrape a bit of poo off the nappy with a wipe if its not contained within the liner - this isn't that nice, but its not every change.

I hope this helps.

Valentine Xxx

its definatly worth doing it as cloth babies tend to potty train earleir..and its much healthier for their botties due to the material being natural.. and disposables being full of chemicals..

MRS T..you need to get a waterprrof cover to..and then your away lol.. if you need any advise pm me.. im happy to help as are other clothies :p

valentine??? do you use bamboo all the time? as i find they arnt more absorbant compared to cotton and they take miles longer to dry.. curious to know what types u use :p

Thanks for the link valentine! :hug:

I'm going to give them a go!

I've got a few more questions :)

The all in ones sound like they'll be easiest to start off with or maybe pocket nappies?

Does anyone use these?

Which ones can you recommend?

What else do i need if i'm using these? liners etc?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back